Re: Downtown ballpark and condos

Post by shinatoo »

flyingember wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:34 pm
shinatoo wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:25 pm
earthling wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:12 am
And therefore should stadium just stay where it is unless along streetcar line? At least if along streetcar there are 10s of thousands of existing parking along it, especially down to Plaza.
Don't see any point in building a streetcar out to TSC if Kauffman is moving. If it is moving then it should absolutely be within walking distance of the streetcar.
Wouldn't build a streetcar to the stadium, you would build commuter rail down Linwood to the Rock Island line to Lee's Summit that just happens to go by a football stadium
No I wouldn't. Not unless Raytown and LS are paying for it.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:19 pm
earthling wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:19 am
The actual stadium site leans more to what I've been talking about. Fusing buildings into the stadium. Check out how it appears from street level. I was thinking something more grand than this with taller buildings, broader functions fused into stadium but this is the kind of approach that would prevent stadium from becoming a stand alone island - whether the outer ring buildings happen in this manner or not. Much better urbane approach than other renderings out there but can KC really pull this off w/out a lot of parking garages nearby/underneath as it's not quite close enough to streetcar line.
I worry about fusing buildings to the stadium itself--especially taller buildings. Stadiums tend to get torn down at some point. Fusing buildings to that stadium would mean tearing down the buildings as well. That seems unnecessary since the life cycle of a building should be much longer. I have no problem building taller buildings adjacent to the stadium though, and ringing the base with retail frontages.
KC keeps her infrastructure far longer than the average city. A 50 year life span for the next stadium should be expected

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by earthling »

^And if a new stadium is built after 50 years it shouldn't be too difficult to retrofit this into a nice urban park or something else with public use. The architects can factor that the stands may not exist forever and think forward about a potential retrofit in distant future. And who knows what more advanced reconstruction techniques will exist by then as well.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:34 pm
flyingember wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:34 pm
shinatoo wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:25 pm

Don't see any point in building a streetcar out to TSC if Kauffman is moving. If it is moving then it should absolutely be within walking distance of the streetcar.
Wouldn't build a streetcar to the stadium, you would build commuter rail down Linwood to the Rock Island line to Lee's Summit that just happens to go by a football stadium
No I wouldn't. Not unless Raytown and LS are paying for it.
So in other words, a regional system with regional funding is needed and not just an urban core transit system serving a few hot button locations.

I would agree.