Baseball stadium on the IRS campus site?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Baseball stadium on the IRS campus site?

Post by GRID »

So I'm in KC and was messing around in Penn Valley Park and was just thinking. Man that site where the massive IRS complex is would be an absolutely amazing site for a baseball stadium.

It's big enough.

It's oriented correctly so the stadium would have amazing views of the city.

It's a great central location close to the streetcar and union station.

It has decent highway access.

There is a ton of parking in Crown Center that could be utilized and it might even be possible to build the stadium over the huge garages under the IRS office buildings.

I don't think the IRS uses the buildings year round as that is primarily used to process paper returns.

It's getting used less and less every year and more as more file electronically.

In ten years, could this site potentially be redeveloped for a stadium? It would be an amazing location for a stadium.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Baseball stadium on the IRS campus site?

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:45 pm So I'm in KC and was messing around in Penn Valley Park and was just thinking. Man that site where the massive IRS complex is would be an absolutely amazing site for a baseball stadium.

It's big enough.

It's oriented correctly so the stadium would have amazing views of the city.

It's a great central location close to the streetcar and union station.

It has decent highway access.

There is a ton of parking in Crown Center that could be utilized and it might even be possible to build the stadium over the huge garages under the IRS office buildings.

I don't think the IRS uses the buildings year round as that is primarily used to process paper returns.

It's getting used less and less every year and more as more file electronically.

In ten years, could this site potentially be redeveloped for a stadium? It would be an amazing location for a stadium.
I thought Fed has been growing and uses everything the IRS doesn’t? If IRS moves out, DOE/contractors have the need for a large new KC office. Thousands of employees currently spread across the city in rented spaces and they have expressed desire to consolidate into a single facility.

The Penn valley interchange and lake though👀
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I have often proposed putting the new stadium on the hill just south of the IRS where the current baseball fields are. Higher elevation and could have some sort of architectural tie-in with the Liberty Memorial. I don't think the IRS will be giving up its facilities any time soon.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Where do you think they process issues with electronic returns?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

IRS does use that building year round. It would be a great place for a stadium but it isn't likely to happen.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

longviewmo wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:03 am Where do you think they process issues with electronic returns?
I thought they processed those at another location. I'm sure there is probably no chance, but it sure would have been a great spot for a stadium.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

GRID wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:23 am
longviewmo wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:03 am Where do you think they process issues with electronic returns?
I thought they processed those at another location. I'm sure there is probably no chance, but it sure would have been a great spot for a stadium.
I think everything tax return related for like half of the US goes through there. Since it’s relatively new it’s absorbed work from a lot of the other locations that have been shut down over the past decade. Can’t remember exactly but I think the goal is two locations for personal tax returns (KC being one) and one for business.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Grid, what are your thoughts in replacing the Penn Valley interchange and lake? I agree the IRS would have been a fantastic view.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:55 am
Grid, what are your thoughts in replacing the Penn Valley interchange and lake? I agree the IRS would have been a fantastic view.
Replace it with a stadium? That would certainly be worth exploring. The topography would be quite a challenge, but that part of the park is not really being utilized anyway and it would be a nice spot for as stadium as far as views and proximity to other attractions and parking. Would probably be much more difficult to walk to from Crown Center though vs IRS with all the hills. So that alone will probably make it impossible. The IRS site is on level ground with a lot of parking etc in CC and Crossroads.

I'm not sure about taking out what little park space downtown KC has also. PVP needs to be rebuilt and Broadway/Pennway needs to be tamed. There should be pedestrian bridges etc over Pennway because right now, it functions as several small parks. The park is way too chopped up and doesn't have enough bridges and paths to level things out so it can be better utilized for bikes and walking. Even so, the park was quite busy for what the park offers.

With all the new urban residents, I think KC has a lot of pent up demand for urban recreation which is a nowhere close to being met compared to most major cities. So I would say save the park, but that would have insane views for sure.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

There are currently 5 IRS processing centers around the US. By 2024, only the Ogden Utah and Kansas City Missouri processing centers will remain open. Consequently, I do not see the IRS moving any time soon and, if anything, they are likely to grow at that location.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Would this big proposed budget increase for the IRS boost employment here in KC? $8 billion more per year proposed for auditing.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 pm Would this big proposed budget increase for the IRS boost employment here in KC? $8 billion more per year proposed for auditing.
90% of returns are electronic.

I would think much of the auditing money is going to software rather than new staff.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

flyingember wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:54 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 pm Would this big proposed budget increase for the IRS boost employment here in KC? $8 billion more per year proposed for auditing.

I would think much of the auditing money is going to software rather than new staff.
Still need employees to process things when shit falls out of the system. Also probably don’t want computers to make a judgement when there’s seven figure + discrepancies between what the computer says and the tax return says.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The 10% of the returns that are paper account for more than 60% of the tax/ revenue. The paper returns have to be closely scrutinized after some simple automated validations (all pages present?; does each total balance?) because there are dozens of rare schedules and statements that require manual review (prewar family trusts; calculations/ characterizations for gains versus income in mixed asset classes; foreign source loss tabulations)

The mainframe software is old but reliable for the 40% of people with simple returns (those with 1040s and its "basic" schedules 1,2,3,A,B,C,D,E,F and supporting forms). But the complex, big money returns need to be read and manually cross-checked, and probably by two or three different tax analysts.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

herrfrank wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:51 pm
The 10% of the returns that are paper account for more than 60% of the tax/ revenue. The paper returns have to be closely scrutinized after some simple automated validations (all pages present?; does each total balance?) because there are dozens of rare schedules and statements that require manual review (prewar family trusts; calculations/ characterizations for gains versus income in mixed asset classes; foreign source loss tabulations)

The mainframe software is old but reliable for the 40% of people with simple returns (those with 1040s and its "basic" schedules 1,2,3,A,B,C,D,E,F and supporting forms). But the complex, big money returns need to be read and manually cross-checked, and probably by two or three different tax analysts.
and if you were going to spend billions, you would make it so auditing is easy for 90% of returns and reduce your staff to what's needed to cover the 10%
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Biden Administration wants to budget more money for the IRS to do audits of higher income, more complex returns.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Well I guess this ends this thread:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-09-15
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:12 pm Well I guess this ends this thread:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-09-15
KC office hiring 1,000 this year. Austin office will move up to KC in the mid-2020s. That’s 2500+ union jobs and just as many temp iirc.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I can’t believe there was a contingent that thought the IRS site was actually a good site for a baseball stadium
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The views would have been incredible but probably better locations for interaction with city.