NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by TheSmokinPun »

All of those tournaments will come anyways, look at MSG. I'm tired of this argument, just feels like we gave up way too easily on that.

Plus, having a team in there would help them through the pandemic & all too.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:16 am
GRID wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:25 pm So KC can't host tournaments and be home to an NHL or NBA team? I'm really confused. I mean is KC the size of Tulsa or is it a region of 2.5 million people with a pro sport draw of many millions more? Not sure what being a great city for an occasional basketball tourney and suburban soccer matches have to do with the city's ability to have a pro team. I said it will mostly help downtown. Downtown KC needs something to bring people down there besides concerts. I understand the arena is a relatively busy concert arena, but it would barely rank at all when you include concerts + pro sports.
I am saying I think hosting tournaments does more for us than having an NBA or NHL team will. If I was to pick one of the 2, it would not be having a team based at Sprint Center
Why would you have to pick? Even with one pro team, the arena would be open most nights of the year. Do you realize that many cities host tourneys and concerts and also have 2-3 pro teams plus college teams? And even those arenas are not used all 365 days in a year. Downtown KC is still dead compared to most large cities. That's not a knock on kc, it just is. It's better than it was, but it still feels like a ghost town down there most of the time compared to other cities. I mean, you can literally have 500 people show up and do donuts in the middle of the highest profile intersection downtown and you barely cause any problems for traffic and pedestrians. A pro team would bring 15k downtown 40-50 times a year. Most coming from the suburbs and outlying areas. How in the world would you not be for that??? And you can still have your college stuff too which I would agree, for a single weekend will draw more from outside the region. But a whole season of NHL or NBA games has to be way more economic activity for downtown than a weekend college tourney. Still you can have both.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

And I never said the city should not host tournaments. I said the city should get a pro team that is actually a "KC" team. There is not a major college team that plays in KC. The Jayhawks are not a KC team, they play in Lawrence. I have always made fun of the college culture in KC, I mean who cares what college you went to when you are 40 years old lol. My son just graduated from WV and now lives in DC and I'm pretty sure he won't watch or go to another game or even care about WV ever again, but he is a huge Caps fan and lives across the street from the Nationals stadium. He cares about those teams now. That's what KC needs. People moving to downtown would mostly likely have an actual local team to go and actually see games right there in the city. It would be another reason for people to live downtown and the Caps games I go to have TONS of fans from other cities. So I'm not really sure you understand the pull of pro sports.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I wouldn't want to see what this city looks like if KU basketball wasn't so good and KU wasn't so close. Even without hosting games in town, it's a big economic impact. I'm a MU guy but KU fans are particularly proud and understandably so with such a historic basketball program. There's a major difference between going to a school that's known for a particular sport than going to a school that's been average most of it's history. I wouldn't be surprised if your son never watches another WV game again, why would he? Most KU grads fondest memories are in Allen Field House. Similar to Duke and NC. You think an Alabama grad who's 40+ doesn't brag every chance they get about Bama football?!

All that said, a pro team wouldn't mean we wouldn't still get the college tournaments. If anything, we could lose out on some concerts here and there but the 40 or more home games a year would make up for that. We can keep praying!
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 am Biggest takeaway I took from that was that the "Kansas City Monarchs" has already been registered by an unnamed party. Not the NBA.
Turns out that it was...(drum roll) the T-Bones.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

swid wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:57 am
shinatoo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 am Biggest takeaway I took from that was that the "Kansas City Monarchs" has already been registered by an unnamed party. Not the NBA.
Turns out that it was...(drum roll) the T-Bones.
What a waste that would be.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:08 pm I wouldn't want to see what this city looks like if KU basketball wasn't so good and KU wasn't so close. Even without hosting games in town, it's a big economic impact. I'm a MU guy but KU fans are particularly proud and understandably so with such a historic basketball program. There's a major difference between going to a school that's known for a particular sport than going to a school that's been average most of it's history. I wouldn't be surprised if your son never watches another WV game again, why would he? Most KU grads fondest memories are in Allen Field House. Similar to Duke and NC. You think an Alabama grad who's 40+ doesn't brag every chance they get about Bama football?!

All that said, a pro team wouldn't mean we wouldn't still get the college tournaments. If anything, we could lose out on some concerts here and there but the 40 or more home games a year would make up for that. We can keep praying!
I'm not arguing that having KU 40 miles down the road is not good for the metro. It's good for KC like Boulder is to Denver. But Denver still has an NHL and NBA team. And the college culture is VERY different out here on the east coast. It's hard to explain. College sports are barley a thing out here. Sure they still have fans, but it's a much MUCH smaller percentage of the general population compared to places like KC and this area has several actual local teams like Georgetown and Maryland and lots of people are from schools of much higher prestige than KU. Honestly you will see more college gear down at the mall from tourists then you ever will around the metro area locally. Sporting college stuff on your person, car etc after you have begun your professional career is not really a thing at all out here. Put up a logo in your cube and move on lol.

That's a different topic. My point is that having KU nearby should have nothing to do with the city having a pro team at sprint center. The city can still host tourneys or whatever, but a team playing 45-50 games a year downtown would absolutely be a game changer for downtown KC and elevate the city a bit more on a national level.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

My New Years resolution is to teach grid to properly paragraph and space his posts so I can read them because they’re normally quite good but I read maybe 5% of them
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:07 am My New Years resolution is to teach grid to properly paragraph and space his posts so I can read them because they’re normally quite good but I read maybe 5% of them
Targeting no one, organizing in a list helps too. Often people aren't writing a full thesis and each sentence is a full, valid point by itself

It's easier to organize your thoughts on point per line

If you want to expand a specific point you continue that one line

It's easier for people to read to stop and go

If you find repeated information or a weaker point you can delete one line easily
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Personally I'd like to see the NBA come back. Broader appeal. Basketball has history here and some nice built in appreciation for the game with the college programs near by and the historical well being of those programs. Yes KU dominates as a blue blood but there is good history with MU. KSU and even into Iowa and NEB. Hoops was the winter sport in the midwest for Prep & HS for many many years.

Hockey and we have some tradition here but not the same as hoops IMO. Plus I'd like for us in KC to be able to hold that distinction from a market share perspective. Would be nice to have rivalries with OKC, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Minn, and MIL, CHI, etc. crossing over into some of the baseball and football rivalries we have
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

NBA will be here for the 2024-25 season according to my research. I can elaborate on that more if anyone wants. The NHL isn't coming here.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:48 pm NBA will be here for the 2024-25 season according to my research. I can elaborate on that more if anyone wants. The NHL isn't coming here.
Mahomes would be an owner I can guarantee that
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

No NHL?

Sad
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:51 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:48 pm NBA will be here for the 2024-25 season according to my research. I can elaborate on that more if anyone wants. The NHL isn't coming here.
Mahomes would be an owner I can guarantee that
I started a thread here explaining how I think NBA comes here and when if you want to check it out:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21184
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/st-louis ... -325671160
STL Blues will play a preseason game against Chicago Blackhawks October 2nd in Independence. I think this is the first time a preseason game will be held there, several have been played at Sprint over the years. Odd change, I’m curious about the reason for the the switch.

(Edit to add the Mavericks are affiliated with the Calgary Flames - not STL or chicago)
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Maybe because T-Mobile center booked that day.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

It’s not booked currently for that date, nothing announced anyway.

I’m not sure what the prior attendance has been for games at Sprint/TMobile, maybe Independence is a better fit size-wise but I imagine Blues/Blackhawks will be a big draw for the hockey community here and even from those cities.

Maybe it’s an AEG/LA Kings conflict?
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

I’m planning to monitor the Cable Dahmer ticket link for event dates - definitely going to purchase tickets to the game.

No way can there be more Hawks than we Blues fans. 😂
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

droopy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:13 am Odd change, I’m curious about the reason for the the switch.
It's always over money. One arena gave a better deal to the team
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

flyingember wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 am
droopy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:13 am Odd change, I’m curious about the reason for the the switch.
It's always over money. One arena gave a better deal to the team
I would imagine that the Independence area cut such a sweetheart deal that the teams couldn't pass up. Plus Independence will already have ice down whereas T-Mobile would have to make ice for just one game.