NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by mykem »

KCMax wrote:
mykem wrote: I still think they are over paying. The Miami heat with Lebron James, and in the Miami market are only worth $425 million.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian ... e-teams-2/
The Forbes valuations have consistently shown to be low. But I think you're probably right, there is likely a bit of an overpay by a hometown owner desperate to bring a team home. But he will get his money back easily with a new arena in Seattle.
I guess this $500 million dollar figure doesn't sit well with me because I know there isn't a soul in KC that would fork over that kind of money for an NBA team. I would of thought a team like the Sacramento Kings would have been a cheaper sell or at maximum their worth, because the owners are ready to wash their hands of the whole arena situation in Sacramento. It's going to cost these guys $1 Billion dollars to bring an NBA team back to Seattle after you factor in the Arena costs. Kudos to Seattle for having billionaire buisness men who think with their heart, and not thier head.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mykem wrote:
KCMax wrote:
mykem wrote: I still think they are over paying. The Miami heat with Lebron James, and in the Miami market are only worth $425 million.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian ... e-teams-2/
The Forbes valuations have consistently shown to be low. But I think you're probably right, there is likely a bit of an overpay by a hometown owner desperate to bring a team home. But he will get his money back easily with a new arena in Seattle.
I guess this $500 million dollar figure doesn't sit well with me because I know there isn't a soul in KC that would fork over that kind of money for an NBA team. I would of thought a team like the Sacramento Kings would have been a cheaper sell or at maximum their worth, because the owners are ready to wash their hands of the whole arena situation in Sacramento. It's going to cost these guys $1 Billion dollars to bring an NBA team back to Seattle after you factor in the Arena costs. Kudos to Seattle for having billionaire buisness men who think with their heart, and not thier head.
Lets start a kickstarter campaign.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Deadspin: A History Lesson For Sacramento: How Kansas City Lost The Kings
Lukenbill said the owners would announce those attendance targets—if the Kings could average a certain number of fans per game, the team would break even and there'd be no need to move. This attendance figure was supposed to be announced by opening day, but opening day came and went. The front office continued to promise a hard target, even as the Kings sold more tickets than they had in years. Finally, they picked Nov. 21 as the day to set the bar.

The Kings did issue a statement on Nov. 21, but no target attendance was mentioned. No attendance or income figures would be forthcoming, Lukenbill and Axelson said. Instead, the Kings would not renew their lease with the Kemper Arena, citing unfair terms. There would be no future discussions about keeping the Kings in Kansas City unless a new, more favorable lease was offered.

"If this occurs it will restore our confidence that the powers that be in Kansas City would like to retain NBA basketball," Managing Partner Gregg Lukenbill said in the statement. "We will then sit down to negotiate an extension of the lease."

A new lease would come. Kansas City offered a "generous, perhaps unprecedented" lease to keep the Kings at Kemper Arena for five more seasons. According to the Kansas City Times, it would charge the Kings just $1 a year and give them percentages of concessions and parking.

The lease offer was officially extended on Jan. 21, 1985. That very same day, the Kings filed paperwork with the NBA to move the team. Lukenbill called it "a joyous day in Sacramento." Second-year commissioner David Stern said he had "no qualms" with the announcement.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This is a funny comment by someone, And it's ironic that Kemper Arena in KC is still a better facility than Sleep Train (The Kings Current Arena)... what a dump... the city of Sacramento would have been suckers to build the Maloofs a new arena.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The Kings already had a lease for Kemper that was expiring at rent at $1/yr, with parking, suites, advertising, and was paid a percentage of concessions for their games. In other words the city couldn't offer much more than what the Kings already had without giving the team total control of the arena.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:The Kings already had a lease for Kemper that was expiring at rent at $1/yr, with parking, suites, advertising, and was paid a percentage of concessions for their games. In other words the city couldn't offer much more than what the Kings already had without giving the team total control of the arena.
What did the Kings owners want? Did they just want a new city no matter what?

It always struck me that Sacramento was kind of an odd choice. No history of major sports, no existing arena at the time. The fanbase turned out to be pretty rabid, but I don't know how you could have predicted that. Seems like Louisville (good history with the ABA, existing arena, college basketball town) might have been a more logical choice at the time.

Were people upset the Kings left? The comments in that article are pretty critical of KC saying we were pretty apathetic fans. Was it that or was ownership just really lousy?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Local ownership did not have the deep pockets to compete with other teams when free agency came into being. The Lakers signed Jabbar for a higher salary than the Kings were taking in on ticket sales at the time. You had a core of fans but it was declining and support by local business was also going down.
Why Sac? Why not? That is where the owners lived and for most team transfers local ownership was a determining factor (like now). Also the Kings would be the only team in town. No MLB. No NFL. No NHL. No MISL
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:What did the Kings owners want? Did they just want a new city no matter what?
Yep. The article made it sound like the new owners set some goals that KC had to meet, and when those were met, the goals changed or were replaced by new ones. Then when the city complained, they used that "unfriendliness" as an excuse to leave.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Local ownership did not have the deep pockets to compete with other teams when free agency came into being. The Lakers signed Jabbar for a higher salary than the Kings were taking in on ticket sales at the time. You had a core of fans but it was declining and support by local business was also going down.
Why Sac? Why not? That is where the owners lived and for most team transfers local ownership was a determining factor (like now). Also the Kings would be the only team in town. No MLB. No NFL. No NHL. No MISL
Yea, but lots of small market teams were in that boat (like Milwaukee, who lost Jabbar). And the NBA still has that problem to an extent. FWIW, the NBA imposed a salary cap two seasons before the Kings left for Sacramento.

From what I can remember reading the local ownership team was just a mess financially and probably never had the amount of capital they told the NBA they had, which forced them to sell to out-of-towners who had no intention of staying in KC.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/29/ ... paul-kelly
Kelly said publicly what many people already have believed to be the case for some time now: The NHL wants 32 teams, and expansion is likely to come in the Greater Toronto Area (like, for example, Markham) and Quebec City.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

They should probably go three years without a work stoppage before worrying about expansion.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Phoenix needs to get rid of its NHL team badly, that would be a great fit KC while the expansion team could go to Suburban Toronto or Quebec City
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Phoenix needs to get rid of its NHL team badly, that would be a great fit KC while the expansion team could go to Suburban Toronto or Quebec City
Pretty much a done deal that they're staying in Phoenix. But, I agree with your statement.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^What a joke. Through 4 games Coyotes are averaging 12,000 fans a game or 71% of the arena while every team is around 90% or higher
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:Phoenix needs to get rid of its NHL team badly, that would be a great fit KC while the expansion team could go to Suburban Toronto or Quebec City
Pretty much a done deal that they're staying in Phoenix. But, I agree with your statement.
Not so fast my friend. Jamison has to close by tomorrow on buying the Coyotes or they are out of Phoenix.

The Markham deal is very silly too. Lots of people going all "I love hockey, I'd love another NHL team closer to me, but NIMBY!" I still think they get it but 32 teams when you're gonna have two-three moving within the next 10 years makes it silly to think that NHL here is completely dead. I could see FLA moving to Markham, the Isles-Brooklyn deal collapsing, one of the two Alberta teams possibly moving because of lack of new arena, and of all teams, the Dallas Stars falling on their faces after their rebrand and yet another rebuilding process.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

With Seattle getting an NBA team (it appears) are they out of the NHL pursuit completely? I thought I remember hearing they wanted both.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

KCMax wrote:With Seattle getting an NBA team (it appears) are they out of the NHL pursuit completely? I thought I remember hearing they wanted both.
Sure they want both, but the city is already going to be way over saturated with sports with the Sonics returning. See it going in order something like Seahawks, Sonics or Sounders, Mariners, college teams, NHL, plus toss WNBA and the various minor league teams(Tacoma has the Triple A affiliate of the Mainers even) in there to further spread the sports dollar thinner in SEA-TAC.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Usual suspect target destinations like Quebec City and the towns surrounding Toronto always crop up in these situations, though the league is probably more likely to want to place brand-new teams there to maximize expansion fees. That leaves Seattle as the handsome stranger du jour.The recent news that Chris Hansen (the Seattle hedge funder, not the predator predator) is looking to buy the NBA's Sacramento Kings and relocate the franchise to the Pacific Northwest has increased speculation that any new arena he builds will one day house a hockey team, too.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... outh-again