NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: Indeed.

Man, it's weird to actually see the face of competence - as opposed to the clownshow the Royals & Chiefs have put on for decades.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

voltopt wrote:  People need to put down the wheat-pipe and face reality - Kansas City is a large, regional city with hundreds of thousands of people who could care less about collegiate sports in general or the University of Kansas in particular.  
...and couldn't care less about the NBA or the NHL
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: ...and couldn't care less about the NBA or the NHL
wow, i knew you were a "knowledgeable person," but i didn't realize you spoke on behalf of the other 1,999,999 people in this metro area.  :roll:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

tv ratings don't back you up akp, but why deal with facts?  just continue posting nonsense comments with no basis.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Maitre D wrote: The NBA is expensive.  It'll cost $50/ticket. 
And that would be for a small number of the cheap seats.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

cheap seats in charlotte... $10.  same in denver.....keep them coming akp.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And that would be for a small number of the cheap seats.
Nah.  It's $50 average.  It's $90 for the lower half of level 1, between teh baselines.   The upper half of level 1, $75ish.    Behind the baskets prob $40-50.

Uppers, $40 for the first 1/2 and $15-20 for the nosebleeds.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCPowercat wrote: tv ratings don't back you up akp, but why deal with facts?  just continue posting nonsense comments with no basis.
What TV ratings?  Show some numbers.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCPowercat wrote: cheap seats in charlotte... $10.  same in denver.....keep them coming akp.
Yeah, my mistake.  At the same time look at where those "cheap" seats are.  I can see it now, MD impressing his date with the cheap seats at the SC.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: I can see it now, MD impressing his date with the cheap seats at the SC.
Says the guy who brags about clipping coupons, calls every expense "wasteful", and lived in tony Red Bridge.

darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

One thing that always bothers me is the people who claim NBA tickets are too expensive for the average person.  Below are the cheapest tickets offered by NBA teams in smaller markets compared to the rest of the league.  (Mind you, these are the nose bleed seats, but don't let anyone tell you NBA tickets are too expensive)

Indianapolis Pacers: $10 and $25
Milwaukee Bucks: $10, $24
Utah Jazz: $15 and $30
Minnesota T-Wolves: $10 and $20
Charlotte Bobcats: $10, $15 and $20
Memphis Grizzlies: $5 !!!
Portland Trailblazers: $10 and $19
San Antonio Spurs: $10 and $15
Sacramento Kings: $10 and $25.50
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

Maitre D wrote: The wealthy area of KC is JoCo.  You can try selling $50 NBA tix to people in Independence or Liberty.   Give it a whirl.
God you are an F-ing douchebag.  People who make comments like you have, and probably will continue to, are the reason I cannot tolerate people who either (A) went to KU or (B) live and work in JoCo and play in Missouri.
NOLA
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NOLA »

At the risk of adding to this increasingly stupid thread, my experience having attended multiple NBA games in multiple cities is that upper-level seats are generally in the 45-50 range and lower-level seats are in the 90-100 range.  While I don't doubt that there are seats cheaper than 45-50, I have to imagine they are truly awful seats and likely in limited quantity.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: I can see it now, MD impressing his date with the cheap seats at the SC that his Mommy bought for him.
You forgot a certain inevitable detail.  I fixed it for you.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have sat in sprint center in what would be the 10 dollar seats in other arenas...its not horrible, arena isn't  big enough to create horrible seats imo. 

according to the pacers site, they have upper decks max of 35 bucks....even some lower decks are 35.  houston 's highest upper deck is also 35.    lowers starting at 44.

I am not sure where this thought of nba tickets being  expensive comes from.  seems in the cities I have looked at, they are quite reasonable and hit all price ranges.  sure courtsides are expensive...just like crown seats at kauffman are.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It's because the "average" price is high.

The first few rows (sometimes thousands of seats) go for hundreds of dollars each and that really throws off the averages.

Funny thing is, those seats tend to be the hardest to get, like the Crown seats at Kauffman, while the cheap seats tend to go unsold.

If you want to take a family to an NBA or NHL game, you can do it for about the same as going to a MLB game and less than most NFL games.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Maitre D wrote: Says the guy who brags about clipping coupons, calls every expense "wasteful", and lived in tony Red Bridge.
1.  What's wrong with coupons?
2.  Not every expense is wasteful, just those for professionsal basketball and professional hockey  :).
3.  Maybe 40 years ago Red Bridge might have considered "tony" but not today.
4.  Besides, I don't have a girlfried I have to impress.  My wife is into saving money more than I.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

The NBA is now considered to be "THE" league in that for American and foreign players it is the top league in the world.  But according to an article I read last week that may change.

Of course there was talk about one high school player going to Europe to play for money instead of playing in college for one year and how that might affect the college game to some degree if more high school players choose that route to the NBA.  Now there is talk of NBA stars going to Europe to play after their NBA contracts expire.  Why?  And the answer is money.  The NBA has its salary cap, per individual and team.  European teams do not.  So a NBA player can sign for $10.5M in the USA or maybe sign for $20M in Europe, and there is a possibility that the endorsement money is greater in Europe.  Even the non-top players may consider Europe since those teams don't have salary caps to worry about and could therefore sign those less than top-tier players for more money than NBA teams.

If the NBA does lose some of its top players to Europe how might that affect the salary caps and the financial plans of the NBA teams?

Just something from a newer article:
That appeared to be the only question until this summer, when the Redeem Team convened for the Summer Olympics in Beijing. Now the buzz is LBJ might head for Europe to the highest bidder — $50 million is the price tag.

Finally, Cavs owner Dan Gilbert flipped his lid over the constant buzz. The national media is picking on Cleveland he claimed. Why just about LeBron? Oh, sure Kobe Bryant earlier said he'd go for $40 million.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: 1.  What's wrong with coupons?
Nothing at all.
2.  Not every expense is wasteful, just those for professionsal basketball and professional hockey  :).
Why are you posting so much on this thread then?
3.  Maybe 40 years ago Red Bridge might have considered "tony" but not today.
That obv went right over your head.
4.  Besides, I don't have a girlfried I have to impress.  My wife is into saving money more than I.
Does the excitement in your life, ever seem over-whelming at times?

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Maitre D wrote: That obv went right over your head.

Does the excitement in your life, ever seem over-whelming at times?
Maybe, maybe not.  At the same time my response may have went over your head.  However, the Red Bridge area does have an appeal for many.  And it doesn't have an appeal for many.  It is whatever floats your boat.

There is plenty of excitement but the excitement is way different than what you probably experience.  As kids and grandkids enter one'e life certain priorities change.  From working at Kemper and Municipal for many years I have probably seen more concerts and sporting events than many on this board.  At one time they were a big part of my life, now I choose to be more selective in how money is spent.