GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by GRID »

AllThingsKC wrote: College basketball?
Great idea!  They could give out KU hats and tshirts to the first 20k fans at the game!  Or maybe they already do that?   :wink:

Seriously, I think they should do something to tie the game to the Negro Leagues, maybe even play in retro uniforms?
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

WSPanic wrote: St Louis writer proposing KC as a good spot for Albert Pujols to land. As much fun as it would be to have him on the team, I really don't want to go near him. Especially for anything over 5 years. By that time, he'll be AT LEAST 36 - and possibly older. If he truly is "clean", his body and numbers will start showing the signs.

http://sportifi.com/news/Gordon-KC-migh ... 07258.html
So...$30 million per year on Pujols, $20 million per year on the entire rest of the team?

Can we get some kind of rule where sports columnists aren't allowed to spew bullshit to hit their word limit?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Does the ASG typically have a "theme"?

I go back on forth on Pujols. On the one hand, yea, he'd be real expensive and probably not that good at the end. OTOH, the rest of our team will still likely be pretty cheap - so I'd rather Albert get the money than David Glass. But that might preclude us from going out and getting other pieces. But he's immediately turn this franchise around, make us legit, fill seats, etc. I think if they were to sign him (long shot at best) the team could field at least a $70-90 million payroll - so that's $40-60 million on other players.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Seriously, I think they should do something to tie the game to the Negro Leagues, maybe even play in retro uniforms?
That is a fucking capitol idea. MLB will squash (the uniforms part) like a bug, of course, since that would mean tossing scraps to the poor, but somebody at the Negro Leagues Museum should be all over a facebook-style campaign to have the Negro Leagues featured in some very prominent, but realistic, way. 
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Saw a great line on another message board about Pujols and the Royals. Something to the effect of "Sure, I'd like to hang the Mona Lisa in the Newark Bus Terminal - would really spiff up the place."

The visual of the Royals organization as the Newark Bus Terminal struck me as particularly funny.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

GRID wrote: Any ideas of what the theme will be for the All Star Game in KC?  Jazz?  BBQ?  Wizard of Oz?
Since it's almost in Independence, Meth labs? :lol:
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

KCMax wrote: Does the ASG typically have a "theme"?

I go back on forth on Pujols. On the one hand, yea, he'd be real expensive and probably not that good at the end. OTOH, the rest of our team will still likely be pretty cheap - so I'd rather Albert get the money than David Glass. But that might preclude us from going out and getting other pieces. But he's immediately turn this franchise around, make us legit, fill seats, etc. I think if they were to sign him (long shot at best) the team could field at least a $70-90 million payroll - so that's $40-60 million on other players.
We get Pujols and people will show up and people will start watching.  Don't know if he would pay for himself, but he would definitely bring in some interest and revenue.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

pstokely wrote: Since it's almost in Independence, Meth labs? :lol:
Seriously?  I'm getting a little sick and tired of the slams against Independence.  It's a perfectly fine city just like Overland Park.

Try slamming the east side of Missouri . . . that is where the meth problem is.

http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWe ... idents.pdf
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCBoom wrote: Seriously?  I'm getting a little sick and tired of the slams against Independence.  It's a perfectly fine city just like Overland Park.

Try slamming the east side of Missouri . . . that is where the meth problem is.

http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWe ... idents.pdf
I think he was just messing with me and my jab at Kansas, although it was more of a jab against the stupid people that associate the wizard of oz with kcmo.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

GRID wrote: I think he was just messing with me and my jab at Kansas, although it was more of a jab against the stupid people that associate the wizard of oz with kcmo.
I was kinda making a jab against the KU fans who associate Missouri with meth labs, even though Kansas has higher meth lab bust rates. This was coming from some crappy photoshop job some KU fan made with the college gamegay crew with meth lab background made when college gameday came to Mizzou. More people associate KC with Wizard of Oz than Jazz or BBQ like it or not. I wanted to post the Meth lab suggestion before some KU fan did.
Last edited by pstokely on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

pstokely wrote: I was kinda making a jab against the KU fans who associate Missouri with meth labs, even though Kansas has higher meth lab bust rates. This was coming from some crappy photoshop job some KU fan made with the college gamegay crew with meth lab background made when college gameday came to Mizzou. More people associate KC with Wizard of Oz than Jazz or BBQ like it or not. I wanted to post the Meth lab suggestion before some KU fan did.
I'm with ya . . . :wink:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Soria wants a new nick-name.  No more Mexecutioner.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/22/26 ... lling.html
KC is the way to be!
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Not really about the Royals, but interesting contract maneuvering by the Red Sox on Andrew Miller: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... ng-option/
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AllThingsKC wrote: Soria wants a new nick-name.  No more Mexecutioner.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/22/26 ... lling.html
That was very well said Mr. Soria. Hope everyone respects your request.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Well, he's been called 'Jack' by his managers.  Maybe that'll stick.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Royals sign Mike Sweeney to a one-day contract.  He retires as a Royal.  I think that is pretty cool.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Royals acquire C Matt Treanor from the Rangers for cash. Treanor is one of those few male professional athletes whose wife is way more famous than him - Olympic pro volleyball player Misty May.

Catchers Brayan Pena and Lucas May are both out of options, so if the Royals want to send either to the minors, they must pass through waivers.

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Well that is pretty fucking dumb IMO. Pena and May are both better and still have some years left in them.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

May will be Trade.