GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: After less than 7 innings, we can conclude this?
no, but he failed pretty miserably before as a starter in mlb, and became an effective reliever. i would not rule out him having a couple of strong/decent outings and earning it back, but he has 4 starts left, and unless he can turn it around pretty quick, he might be screwed. luckily for him, it was between him and banny, but most insiders are starting to say it is between him and hocheaver now. seems more realistic that hocheaver would go back to AAA to me. and hocheaver got torched in his first outing.

the other options to start games, duckworth, based on making about a dozen starts the last few years for the royals, looks like hell so far too. maybe we could do like we normally do and rush carlos rosa to the bigs.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Banny started the year out amazingly (last year)...if I remember right him and Greinke were like #2 and #5 in ERA untill mid-junish?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: ramirez 3 runs on 5 hits, 2.2 IP
davies o runs on 1 hit, 3 IP

safe to say davies is for sure in on the rotation now, and ramirez is starting to look like he is out. now very important for bannister to return to 07 form or we are missing 2 starters.
Those were three unearned runs for Ho Ram (Way to go Defense!).  I didn't watch, but by all accounts he actually looked pretty sharp and redeemed himself from the previous outing. 
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

That's what LaFebre was saying on the radio during the broadcast.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Those were three unearned runs for Ho Ram (Way to go Defense!).  I didn't watch, but by all accounts he actually looked pretty sharp and redeemed himself from the previous outing. 
5 hits and a walk in 3 innings, he was letting some serious guys reach base though.
im2kull wrote: Banny started the year out amazingly (last year)...if I remember right him and Greinke were like #2 and #5 in ERA untill mid-junish?
i cannot remember how long bannister hung around near the league leaders in ERA last year, i thought it was only may-ish, but he did start out lights out last season over hiis first several starts, and was a top story on yahoo sports for a while , drawing comparisons to greg maddux.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcdcchef wrote: 5 hits and a walk in 3 innings, he was letting some serious guys reach base though.
For what it's worth, they seemed to think he was keeping the ball down better. Most of the hits were ground balls. Again - probably more coach speak/rationalization than anything, but maybe he can still be a serviceable starter.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

WSPanic wrote: For what it's worth, they seemed to think he was keeping the ball down better. Most of the hits were ground balls. Again - probably more coach speak/rationalization than anything, but maybe he can still be a serviceable starter.
Certainly won't work on a team that may have Mike Jacobs and Mark Teahen on the right side of the infield.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Listened to Moore on 810 last night and couldn't help but feeling very optimistic for this season.  I know, I know, a GM will never come out and say negative things about his team in the offseason, but still...

One comment that stood out: "on paper this is the most talented team the Royals have fielded since 1994."  Now, any Royals' fan knows that this isn't saying a whole lot, but I liked hearing it.  I also liked hearing him talk about the minor league prospects and how it was really indicative of the Royals franchise that our fans spent sooo much time talking about prospects.  In Atlanta, with Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Jones, etc., nobody really talked about the prospects.  The focus was on the major league club.  In Kansas City, because the major league club was so bad, people talked more about the prospects.  He said "In Kansas City, everybody was looking at Gordon and Butler as being the saviors of the franchise, and this was really telling about where this franchise was."  He then went on to say that Gordo and Butler are improving and will be very good players in the future.

I'm optimistic.  On paper, I think we have a competitive club.  Not expecting post season play.  But, wouldn't be surprised if we were in the picture, come september.  Thoughts?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KC-wildcat wrote: Listened to Moore on 810 last night and couldn't help but feeling very optimistic for this season.  I know, I know, a GM will never come out and say negative things about his team in the offseason, but still...

One comment that stood out: "on paper this is the most talented team the Royals have fielded since 1994."  Now, any Royals' fan knows that this isn't saying a whole lot, but I liked hearing it.  I also liked hearing him talk about the minor league prospects and how it was really indicative of the Royals franchise that our fans spent sooo much time talking about prospects.  In Atlanta, with Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Jones, etc., nobody really talked about the prospects.  The focus was on the major league club.  In Kansas City, because the major league club was so bad, people talked more about the prospects.  He said "In Kansas City, everybody was looking at Gordon and Butler as being the saviors of the franchise, and this was really telling about where this franchise was."  He then went on to say that Gordo and Butler are improving and will be very good players in the future.

I'm optimistic.  On paper, I think we have a competitive club.  Not expecting post season play.  But, wouldn't be surprised if we were in the picture, come september.  Thoughts?
i am optimistic every spring about the royals, and always think the club is close to being legit. i really feel last years squad, had bannister replicated 07, and had aviles played the whole campaign, would have been 82-83 wins. but such is life. this year, i feel all the royals need to do to compete is for bannister to find his groove again, davies to find his in general, gordon OR butler emerge finally, and the team is ready to compete. amazing how baseball teams quit bitching about economics and all started playing moneyball finally, and amazingly, mlb is almost like the nfl in terms of competitive balance. awesome. still a ways to go....

but for the royals in 2009, i am with you wildcat. i am still finalizing my travel plans for this season, looks like cleveland, detroit, tampa, and toronto this season. and i really feel this season i will see the royals compete. i really do.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I think more than anything, I am optimistic about pitching.  Moreover, I like the fact taht we have a GM that focuses on pitching.  It doesn't hurt that Glass is floating more $$$ Moore's direction than Baird's.  Nonetheless, I believe that there are few teams, on paper, that have better middle relief or a better closer.  If we can get solid production out of our 3-5 starters, I think we give ourselves a chance to win every single night.  God, it's been a while since I've felt that way. 

I mean, when was the last time we even had a debate about who our opening day pitcher was.  With Meche and Greinke, I think there is a legit discussion. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

what is more bizarre, the fact that the yankees signed angel berroa to a minor league deal with a chance to make the club, or the fact that he is hitting well for them this spring, and is now a serious contender to start at 3B for them?
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Angel Berroa always hits well in the spring.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

phuqueue wrote: Angel Berroa always hits well in the spring.
which is why he was sent to AAA two years running based on shitty springs. in 2007, buddy bell and who ever the hitting coach was that year ( barnett? ) spent two hours after a game working with him on hitting right there on the diamond after a game.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Esteban German cleared waivers . . . and was promptly released today. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

German (and Ross Gload, for that matter) playing in the OF at times, showed just how out-of-touch we are in the modern era.  I think one time last year we had both + Teahen or DDJ starting in the OF on a Sunday.  I just bowed my head in shame.

DM seems to be doing a better job of getting power into the lineup.  I think Jacobs & Butler should produce fairly well at the power positions.    Just praying that Gload is used only as a PH or a defensive replacement this season.  No starts at 1B.  Please!
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote: Just praying that Gload is used only as a PH or a defensive replacement this season. 
For another team.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: For another team.
who do you see that we have in our system that is a better utility OF and IF?? please name someone. thanks.
dublin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dublin »

kcdcchef wrote: who do you see that we have in our system that is a better utility OF and IF?? please name someone. thanks.
Can you really call a guy who only plays one infield position a utility IF?  But I'll answer anyway....Mark Teahen.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote: who do you see that we have in our system that is a better utility OF and IF?? please name someone. thanks.
Mark Teahen
Willie Bloomquist
Tug Hulett
Mitch Maier
Shane Costa
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote:
Shane Costa
he has had numerous chances, he sucks, gload is a better hitter.
KCMax wrote:
Willie Bloomquist
gload is a better hitter. bloomie can play more positions. i dont think bloomquist can do the OF that well though.
KCMax wrote: Mark Teahen
teahen is a better hitter and athlete in all capacities, no doubt. but mark teahen is also deserving of a starting nod, and has actually been about as good as alex gordon the past two years. i am hoping mark can win the 2B job.
KCMax wrote:
Tug Hulett
Mitch Maier
yeah, sure. neither of these fuckups are major leaguers.