GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Mhudson »

AllThingsKC wrote: When did the California Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim change the name of their stadium?

Is it really called, "Angel Stadium of Anaheim"? 
Yeah, its a ridiculous name change, but I'm pretty sure it changed at the sametime the Angels became the LA Angels instead of Anaheim.  IIRC, it was a way to keep Anaheim in on the action, since essentially, they should still be the Anaheim Angels.  Gotta love marketing.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

GRID wrote: :D

Is it just me or is that the worst stadium in MLB (outside the domes, which are going away)?
There are absolutely worst stadiums to watch a baseball game!  Oakland & Miami come to mind.

• McAfee Coliseum, Oakland:

• Dolphin Stadium, Miami:

KC is the way to be!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Although I do think the Angels win the contest for the Stadium with the worst name!
KC is the way to be!
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

GRID wrote: I just don't like the rock stuff.  Seems so fake.  I think the rest of the stadium actually resembles Kauffman more than anything.  At least we have real fountains!
Early in the game they actually said that when they renovated the stadium they took some que's from Kauffman in the design.  Also, they mentioned that when the fountains were made, the Angels were still owned by Disney, and the rocks almost looked like part of Disneyland.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kauffman was done by the same architect that did the big A.....kauffman built after Anaheim.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

GRID wrote: I just don't like the rock stuff.  Seems so fake.  I think the rest of the stadium actually resembles Kauffman more than anything.  At least we have real fountains!
If you think they look fake on TV, you should see what they look like up close! 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maybe someday they will get it together and move the original "giant A" scoreboard back into the outfield instead of out in the parking lot.  It would look a lot better than the rocks.  I believe it was the precurser to our crown.  The last time I went to a game in Anaheim it was still in multi-sport configuration. 

I have been to a lot of games at the Oakland Coliseum and its really not that bad other than the neighborhood - I always thought it was the best of the cookie-cutters.  It was Candlestick that always sucked for watching baseball - half the seats faced the complete wrong direction and most of the time the wind would be strong enough to blow you out of your seat. 
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

Yuck. Bad theme park.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I have been to a lot of games at the Oakland Coliseum and its really not that bad other than the neighborhood - I always thought it was the best of the cookie-cutters.
Enjoy it while you can, they're moving to the burbs.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Enjoy it while you can, they're moving to the burbs.
I thought they were going to Fremont? Not quite what I would call "the burbs".  In the Bay Area you have to be over the hills to be in the burbs. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I thought they were going to Fremont? Not quite what I would call "the burbs".  In the Bay Area you have to be over the hills to be in the burbs. 
The area is quite sprawled and burbish from the renderings I have seen.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: The area is quite sprawled and burbish from the renderings I have seen.
Welcome to urban california - San Jose, Berkeley, Richmond, 99% of Oakland -none of them are hotbeds of density. 
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I don't normally spend any time in these threads and I don't particularly care for baseball but I was hoping you experts could enlighten me.

So, the Royals are teetering on the edge of first place and have continued to do pretty decently. Is it a fluke? Is there hope that it could continue like this? Are we getting lucky? What is going on? Should a fair-weather fan start paying attention or is disappointment just around the corner?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

staubio wrote: So, the Royals are teetering on the edge of first place and have continued to do pretty decently. Is it a fluke? Is there hope that it could continue like this? Are we getting lucky? What is going on? Should a fair-weather fan start paying attention or is disappointment just around the corner?
Two weeks into the season makes it hard to tell.  Just about any team can be on a roll for two weeks.

Will let you know in September.

On the other hand this team could be like the 2003 team in wins and losses.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

staubio wrote: I don't normally spend any time in these threads and I don't particularly care for baseball but I was hoping you experts could enlighten me.

So, the Royals are teetering on the edge of first place and have continued to do pretty decently. Is it a fluke? Is there hope that it could continue like this? Are we getting lucky? What is going on? Should a fair-weather fan start paying attention or is disappointment just around the corner?
If you're looking for playoff contention, I would wait another year or two before committing yourself. I don't think our pitching can continue at the level it's at right now and, unfortunately, I don't think we can score enough runs to compensate for that.

However, if you're just looking for improvment over what has been out there for the better part of 20 years - start watching now. They will compete better this year - be in more ballgames - and hopefully come close to .500.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

staubio wrote: I don't normally spend any time in these threads and I don't particularly care for baseball but I was hoping you experts could enlighten me.

Its probably too early to tell for sure, since any team can have a good stretch of 15 games, but they definitely do look like a much improved team. The wins don't look flukey, they look like a team with much improved pitching and defense. Their offense will probably be one of the worst in baseball though, and that will probably keep them from being a contender or even a winning a ballclub. But they should be close to .500 if they can keep pitching well, which would be a terrific season considering where this ballclub has been. I don't think its crazy to say we could contend next season if enough young players take another step forward, and Dayton makes some good acquisitions this winter.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

One of my friends asked me a question today that I wasn't completely sure how to answer.

Question:  What should Royals fans "settle" for this year?

• Avoiding 100 losses.
• Improving proving on last year's record.
• .500ish
• Winning record
• More???

I told him that I would be happy with improving on last year's record.
KC is the way to be!
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

^^Improving the year end record by 7-10 games.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Here's what we have by the numbers...
With about 10% of the season played...

Royals current record:
9-7

2007 Record After 16 Games:
5-11

More wins needed to get to 100 wins!

More wins needed to finish over .500

More wins needed to improve from last year's record

More wins needed to avoid 100 losses.

AND THE BIG SHOCKER...

The Royals are currently on pace to be...
91-71
(Of course that won't happen, so don't hold your breath.)
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC is the way to be!
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Welcome to urban california - San Jose, Berkeley, Richmond, 99% of Oakland -none of them are hotbeds of density. 
Hotbeds of murders though.