GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by phuqueue »

NDTeve, I was actually making a joke at the Patriots' expense.  I added the "regular season" bit at the end because, if you'll recall, the Patriots went 18-1.  I didn't actually even consider that it could be taken as poking fun at the Royals probably not making the postseason, I figured if I just left it without the second part, someone else like MD would point out that the Patriots make it to the playoffs.

Everything else I've said today has been nothing more than a healthy dose of realism.  I sat here in my living room with my Royals jersey and my Royals hat and I watched the game and I was thrilled that they won and I'm still thrilled, and I'm going to be giddy about it all night and if they win again tomorrow I'll be even more excited.  But you can't really blame me for having the wind taken out of my sails for a bit when Brett Tomko, of everyone the Royals could have brought in from the bullpen, comes in, promptly gives up a walk, does manage to escape the inning (but doesn't look very good in the process), then gives up a home run that eventually sends the game into extra innings on the road against a lineup that people are speculating might score 1000 runs (only the fifth time in history that would have happened, if they pull it off).  Nunez looks good, but as I was in the very process of typing the sentence out, he threw two pitches that aren't even close to the strike zone and goes down 3-1 to a guy who makes Tony Pena Jr. look downright patient at the plate.  He managed to pull it off with a strikeout a few pitches later and I breathed a sigh of relief.

What else was there?  Meche?  Sorry, he didn't look good at all.  Eight hits, four walks, twelve total baserunners in six innings.  That's not good.  That he only gave up three runs was exceptionally fortunate.  Jose Guillen saved him two runs in that game (one by throwing out Ordonez at the plate, another when, an inning or two later, the Tigers didn't even try to challenge him again).  Even a lot of his outs were very well hit.  My comment earlier about how nice it'd be if the Royals stopped sucking?  That was during Meche's little reign of terror, and when the Royals had yet to get a hit off Verlander.  It was warranted.

I'm as big a Royals fan as anyone, but you'll have to forgive me if I'm calling it as I see it when they've lost 403 games in the last four years.

That said, I came in to post this just for fun:

MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Thats awesome.  Royals and Nationals are the only two teams with winning records and in first place.  Who'd a thunk it? 
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

The Devil Rays just won as well. What if the same standings lasted all the way throughout the season? Would there be riots?
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I was more or less joking too. The "nice attitude" part was strictly a Ferris Bueller reference.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Can't believe I missed a Ferris Bueller reference, but I did realize how my comment could be taken as much as a knock on the Royals as on the Patriots, which wasn't my intention.  Oh well.
KCSchoey
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCSchoey »

hawkgolfer wrote: I wonder why the hell my channel 1496 doesnt have anything on???  The program guide shows nothing on it either
I contacted Time Warner about this last night when I didn't see it in my channel lineup either.  Here is what I got back.

"Currently channel 1496 is not available due to the WWE event tonight. Channel 1496 will be available for the Royals game tomorrow.  If customer's call in asking where this channel is, please inform them that the channel is temporarily unavailable today but will be available tomorrow. "

I'm not sure I entirely understand what they are saying, but whatever, 1496 is back on in channel lineup after resetting my box this morning.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

phuqueue wrote:

What else was there?  Meche?  Sorry, he didn't look good at all.  Eight hits, four walks, twelve total baserunners in six innings.  That's not good.  That he only gave up three runs was exceptionally fortunate.  Jose Guillen saved him two runs in that game (one by throwing out Ordonez at the plate, another when, an inning or two later, the Tigers didn't even try to challenge him again).  Even a lot of his outs were very well hit.  My comment earlier about how nice it'd be if the Royals stopped sucking?  That was during Meche's little reign of terror, and when the Royals had yet to get a hit off Verlander.  It was warranted.
here is a quote from the jo po article in the star today

The Royals won the game because of a solid performance by starter Gil Meche. They call six innings, three runs a “quality start” in today’s baseball world, and while old-timers who grew up watching war horses like Juan Marichal and Robin Roberts may mock that, the truth is that is a quality start against a lineup as good as Detroit’s.

seriously, phu, what the hell do you expect? i know you think you know more about baseball then the rest of us, but what is a quality start against a lineup this loaded and this stacked? guillen saved a run, sure, that is the mans job. gil meche did what good pitchers do all day, pitch his way out of trouble by getting their crappier hitters out.

no, that was a good effort by meche. he turns that effort against the twins, white sox, a's, mariners, devil rays, blue jays, fine, bash him. but the detroit tigers probably have the best starting lineup in baseball this year. if they do not, who does? sure the fuck isnt the yankees anymore, sorry!!
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I have never claimed to know more about baseball than anyone else, Chef, and I don't know exactly why you say things like that every time we disagree about something.  If I thought I knew more than anyone else, I suspect that I'd be really bored talking to a bunch of people who aren't as smart as I am.  I'm here offering my opinions just like everyone else, and I enjoy disagreeing with people because it offers much more opportunity for thoughtful discussion than if we agree about everything and all that's left to say is "yeah, good point."  I want to have thoughtful discussion specifically because I recognize that everyone here has their own unique insight to bring to the table.  I don't really know why you get so offended and take it so personally when we don't see eye to eye on something.  I actually like you and tend to enjoy your posts a lot, but when you start whining about "ESPN armchair analysts" or accuse me of thinking I know more than anyone else, you just become abrasive.  I assure you that I have no other agenda here but to discuss baseball and specifically the Royals with a bunch of people who share my interest.  I don't think I know more than you or anyone else, we just look at the game through different lenses, and that's fine.  I don't agree with a lot of positions you take, that RBI is a valuable stat, that Emil Brown was a valuable player, etc, but I respect that you have those views, and all I can do is to explain why I disagree.  And then you can fire back and we'll talk it out, and this is how discussion takes place and is the main reason this thread has spanned 155 colorful, interesting pages.

As far as Meche: don't get me wrong, I respect that he minimized the damage so well, and I'm glad he managed to pull off a quality start, even if he did only meet the bare minimum requirements.  But he allowed eight hits and four walks in six innings.  Twelve baserunners, an average of two per inning.  You're not going to win a ton of games with a WHIP of 2.  The walks are the most troubling.  Look at Meche's season last year.  He only allowed six walks in the entire month of June.  Now, part of that is the Tigers being a good, patient lineup.  Part of it is Tim Welke's inconsistent strike zone yesterday.  And part of it is that Meche just wasn't as sharp as he was through much of last season.  Royals Authority found that the average movement of Meche's fastball yesterday was 12.1 inches, from an average last season of 10.7.  Now, there is some debate in the comments section on their blog about whether or not they were correctly interpreting the data, but the basic point they were trying to get at was that Meche's fastball may have been moving more than intended, causing him to miss his spots.  The debate concerns whether he was consistently throwing ~12 inches, or was he all over the place and merely averaged 12.1?  They didn't provide that data and perhaps didn't even take it into account themselves, so it is an important point to consider; obviously if Meche was consistently getting about the same foot of movement, that's something that he probably was expecting, or could at least correct for as the game went on.  So it might be nothing.  Or if he was getting a lot more or less movement from pitch to pitch, it might be indicative that Meche's control was off yesterday.  Again, I want to stress that this is mere speculation about one possible reason for all the baserunners he allowed -- not only the walks, but perhaps not being able to hit his spots made him more hittable as well.

The important point to bear in mind is that, regardless of the reason, Meche let way too many guys on base yesterday.  I applaud him for getting out of trouble with minimal damage, but I'm not going to ignore that he got himself into trouble in the first place.  Posnanski can write whatever he wants; I will readily concede that he knows way more about the game than I do, but I'm going to have to disagree with him on this.  Meche did his part to keep the team in the game, but he was shaky through four innings yesterday.  That said, he did get better toward the end.  I posted at the end of the fourth inning (was reeeeeally hoping other people would be here so we could have a dialogue going during the game, but oh well) that I'd be surprised if he pitched more than one more inning unless he managed to buckle down and breeze through the fifth -- and after giving up the homer to Cabrera, he got through the fifth and the sixth in like 15 pitches.  That was great.  The rest of his game was not.  WHIP of 2.00 is going to be a recipe for disaster more often than not.

It's also important to remember that the quality start is, itself, not without some controversy.  If you consistently come out and meet the bare minimum requirements every time, you'll end up with a not so amazing ERA of 4.50 (which is, after one game, Meche's ERA for the season to date).  What makes quality start a decent stat is that usually pitchers who consistently make quality starts tend to also consistently exceed those minimum requirements a great deal.  Pointing to a single six run, three inning game as a quality start doesn't really mean a whole lot, but pointing out that Meche made 23 quality starts last year and tied with Tom Glavine for fifth in MLB, is more meaningful.  Against the Tigers, I'll take as many quality starts as we can get regardless whether or not they only meet the minimum threshold, but it doesn't mean there weren't still some red flags in Meche's performance yesterday.

But whatever.  Let's all just be glad they pulled off the win yesterday.  I know I made a number of pessimistic posts during the course of the game, but you'll just have to forgive me for it -- a lifetime spent watching the Royals, Chiefs, and MU will do that to a person (though apparently not to you, Chef; I do admire your boundless optimism).  But they went and they weathered 6+ innings of Verlander, DeJesus's injury, Meche's twelve baserunners, Tomko's game-tying home run, extra innings on the road against the best lineup in the league, another Luis Silverio-driven baserunning gaff, and they came out of Opening Day with a win.  And it's been a day and a half now and I'm still excited about it, can't wait for the game tomorrow when Bannister will hopefully begin his campaign to shut all the sabermetricians up about BABIP and DIPS.  So we've at least got that to agree on.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Is the Royals game on a local channel in KC?  I just raced home from class to watch the rest of the game only to find Tennis on FSN and the Extra Innings Package has blacked out the game.  I certainly hope this doesn't happen very often!!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mhudson wrote: Is the Royals game on a local channel in KC?  I just raced home from class to watch the rest of the game only to find Tennis on FSN and the Extra Innings Package has blacked out the game.  I certainly hope this doesn't happen very often!!
Its on FSN Kansas City right now. That's a different channel than FSN. Its 648 on Direct TV.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Yeah, well the FSN KC channel in Manhattan (KS) has been switched over to tennis.  I don't know what the problem is or why this is done.  I thought I could work around it by using the extra innings package, but its completely blacked out.  I'm in panic mode right now, Gameday on mlb.com only does so much for me!  haha
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Bannister looking great through five so far.  Two hits, no walks, no runs, three strkeouts.  And only 62 pitches thrown so far, so he's also been efficient.  Unfortunately, Rogers has been almost as good: Two hits, one walk, no runs, three strikeouts.  Hopefully Bannister keeps it up and the offense gets him some runs.

EDIT: Man, scratch that.  Guillen's first hit as a Royal, a standup RBI double.  Billy Butler immediately follows with another RBI double.  Royals up 2-0.
Last edited by phuqueue on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

phuqueue wrote: I know I made a number of pessimistic posts during the course of the game, but you'll just have to forgive me for it -- a lifetime spent watching the Royals, Chiefs, and MU will do that to a person (though apparently not to you, Chef; I do admire your boundless optimism).  

For some odd reason, he's very pessimistic about KU basketball though.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

back to back to back doubles in the sixth scores two.  I like the sixth inning so far this year.  We'll see how Bannister does pitching with the lead.  Man, its good to have baseball back.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'm a little concerned that it's taked the Royals this long to score, but when they score, they're making it look easy thus far.
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Royals have a 2.11 ERA against that vaunted $138 million offense thus far. Small sample size, but you have to love getting off to a great start.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

2-0!!!! Start printing those playoff tickets!!!!

phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Not just 2-0, but four runs allowed in 20 innings to the supposed 1000 run lineup.  Last year the Royals didn't pitch a shut out until they beat the Angels 1-0 on June 27 to complete the sweep.  Now it's taken them all of two games to shut out the most potent offense in baseball.  And as Ryan and Splittorff pointed out, this is the first time the Royals have been two games over .500 since April 11, 2004, when, after sweeping Cleveland, they stood at 4-2.

Obviously one game isn't really enough to determine whether Bannister will repeat last year's success, but it was about the most encouraging performance I could possibly imagine: Seven innings, two hits, no walks, no runs, four strikeouts, only 86 pitches.  Great game.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Uh, wow.

KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower