Chiefs

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Chiefs

Post by KCMax »

Most Friday and Saturday nights that year drew well over 30,000. The reason attendance was so poor was because season ticket sales sucked after a decade of sucking.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The Chiefs continue to sell out for two reasons.
The sport itself.
The Chiefs team.

Although for the last 8 years have not been fruitful the team for the most part has been competitive.  There is also the fear that if I do give up my season tickets I may not be able to get tickets if the team actually gets its act together and go all the way.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

TRIVIA TIME!

Q: How many playoff games have the Carolina Panthers won in the past 3 years?
A:  5.

Q: How many playoff games ahve the Chiefs won in the past 35 years?
A: 3.

Q: Name the only 2 teams to not win a playoff game in the NFL the past 12 years
A: Chiefs & Bengals
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: TRIVIA TIME!

then do not worry about them, pick a new team. how bout the brigade. leave the chiefs to the rest of us purist football fans that actually enjoy the sport.
aknowledgeableperson wrote:

Although for the last 8 years have not been fruitful the team for the most part has been competitive. There is also the fear that if I do give up my season tickets I may not be able to get tickets if the team actually gets its act together and go all the way.
when i gave up my tickets when i moved, i called in 04 about getting tickets when my wife was living out there, and i was told they would put me on the waiting list...........i then asked how long the list was, they said they could not tell me in pure numbers, however, it was an average wait of 4-5 years. i actually kept mine for a season and just sold them off game by game to a broker, but it was too much of a hassle.
Last edited by kcdcchef on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcdcchef wrote:
then do not worry about them, pick a new team. how bout the brigade. leave the chiefs to the rest of us purist football fans that actually enjoy the sport.
Oh, I don't **worry** one bit about the Thiefs.  I enjoy making fun of their ineptitude, tho.

You have to admit: it's one of the shittiest franchises in the league.  And Peterson one of the worst GM's.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Wrong....answer is the Bengals and only the Bengals.   On  Jan 16, in 1994....exactly 12 years ago, the chiefs defeated the Oilers in the Divisional championship 28-20.  Since you wrote this note yesterday, you were off by two days.  Furthermore, the Chiefs received a bye in 1997-8 and 2003-4 by virtue of winning the divisional championship which is essentially the same as a playoff victory.  In 1997, the Chiefs were 13-3 which I believe was the best record in football and they repeated that record again in 2003.  Hardly sounds like an inept organization to me. 
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

You forgot Detroit.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Seattle hadn't won a playoff game in twenty years until Saturday's game. I found that really surprising. The Saints have only one won playoff game in the forty year history of the franchise. Now THAT is inept!

knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

The chiefs under vermil played a very entertaining brand of football. Lots of offense. Thrills in the forth quarter.

They usually win the home games, only lost one this year.

It is about the most fun you can have in KC legally. That is why they can get the high ticket prices. (the ticket prices are to high for me).

Don't mind Pittsburgwhatever. There is one of those in every crowd.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Highlander wrote: Wrong....answer is the Bengals and only the Bengals.   On  Jan 16, in 1994....exactly 12 years ago, the chiefs defeated the Oilers in the Divisional championship 28-20.  Since you wrote this note yesterday, you were off by two days. 
Did you really just type that?
Furthermore, the Chiefs received a bye in 1997-8 and 2003-4 by virtue of winning the divisional championship which is essentially the same as a playoff victory

Oh good God.  Is that what you Thiefs fans have been reduced to?  Taking credit now for "phantom" playoff wins?  A bye now = a win?  Get a grip of reality, you freak.

In 1997, the Chiefs were 13-3 which I believe was the best record in football and they repeated that record again in 2003.  Hardly sounds like an inept organization to me. 

One of 3 teams (Detroit is one as well) not to win a playoff game in 12 seasons.  28 others have.  Nah, that's not inept.

knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Savor the irony. On the MIZ thread Pittsburgwhatever is claiming a basketball program that has only won one national championship in 50 years is great.

On this tread he is claiming basically that a team that has a very solid regular season record is terrible because it has only won one national championship in 40 years.

The Chiefs are popular because they are competative most years and entertaining.

KU has a good basketball program, but if you want to talk local sports, Nebraska and Oklahoma football both have vastly superior historical records. Get used to it.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

knucklehead wrote: Savor the irony. On the MIZ thread Pittsburgwhatever is claiming a basketball program that has only won one national championship in 50 years is great.

On this tread he is claiming basically that a team that has a very solid regular season record is terrible because it has only won one national championship in 40 years.

The Chiefs are popular because they are competative most years and entertaining.

KU has a good basketball program, but if you want to talk local sports, Nebraska and Oklahoma football both have vastly superior historical records. Get used to it.

the nfl, is as full of parity as any sport out there. hockey will now be tied for second. and the chiefs have not won a playoff game in 10+years now. who cares. i walked out of arrowhead with my head held low after both colts losses, and the broncos loss, just like everyone else. and just like all other chiefs fans, i walked around kc for a couple of weeks not wanting to talk chiefs. noone could get me to talk about the chiefs. and had to hear all the redskins fans at work dog the shit out of me for taking that expensive flight, paying ticket broker prices, and paying hotel rooms, meals, all that, for a loss.

but you know what? i woudn't trade it in for anything. how can you not love to watch your team in that atmosphere? after the dust cleared over that elway loss, and the first colts loss, all i could do, and all i could say was, man, to have been in kc in mid january to watch my chiefs play on national tv, with the whole nation watching, in beatiful arrowhead, was fucken great. and i love it.

same with the last colts chiefs playoff nightmare. i personally just liked marty better, i am in the minority there. but even under vermiel, we managed to play an amazing octane fueled brand of football that is exciting to watch. and who cares how many teams have made it more recently or one a playoff /superbowl game more recently. who gives a shit. some of them were flukes. some of them were legit.

the chiefs will win a playoff game in the next few years. not all of the other 31 teams will.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

knucklehead wrote: Savor the irony. On the MIZ thread Pittsburgwhatever is claiming a basketball program that has only won one national championship in 50 years is great.

Good god, are you a complete moron or what?

1) Proportion.  There are 335 D-1 hoops teams and KU is generally in the top 10 (upper 2-3%).  There are only 32 NFL teams, of which the Thiefs are rarely even in the top 1/2.

2) Comparison.  29 of the other 31 NFL teams have won a playoff game the past 12 seasons.  That's 90%, bud.  If KU fails to do something that even 90% of D-1 programs can, then they are certainly a failure. 

They sell out b/c the MLB team has no shot in hell to compete.  And, nothing to do in KC when it's cold.
Why should anyone waste time arguing with you?  Once again, you're 100% incorrect.  Kansas is #3 all time in wins and 3 or 4 in winning %.  Nebraska is also #3 in all-time wins, OU is #8.  So in what way are they "vastly superior", you dipshit?

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/misc/div_ia_wins.php

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Why does anyone care about college basketball once they're out of college?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

You still associate yourself with that school. When you think about it, its kind of silly we cheer for teams just because we live in the city they supposedly represent.

The college hoops game is more fun to watch IMO.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I agree that college ball is fun to watch, I just don't understand why people get all crazy about it, to the point of childish taunts and personal attacks, long after they should be old enough to know better. People get that way a lot more readily about college ball than pro ball, it seems to me. Which, I mean, I support the passion. I just figure there's gotta be a better outlet for it than acting like a 12-year-old.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: Oh good God.  Is that what you Thiefs fans have been reduced to?  Taking credit now for "phantom" playoff wins?  A bye now = a win?  Get a grip of reality, you freak.

One of 3 teams (Detroit is one as well) not to win a playoff game in 12 seasons.  28 others have.  Nah, that's not inept.

Your standards for team greatness/ineptness are a bit arbitrary.  You are essentially suggesting that a team has performed better if it had a mediocre record and got into the playoff's via wildcard spot (and then won the wild card playoff game) than if it had been divisional champions and did not play in the first round.  I think most players, coaches and fans would disagree.  A few playoff victories would have been nice in the last 12 years but being two-time divisional champs and having the best record in the NFL is a bit more impressive than a couple of first round playoff wins.  The chiefs have not been the best team in the NFL over the last 12 years but they are far, far from the worst.
Last edited by Highlander on Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hull-Os
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Hull-Os »

You are essentially suggesting that a team has performed better if it had a mediocre record and got into the playoff's via wildcard spot (and then won the wild card playoff game) than if it had been divisional champions and did not play in the first round
Yes, I would say a team that wins a playoff game is more successful than a team that doesn't. Pats > Colts this year.
I think most players, coaches and fans would disagree.
If they disagree they are losers, like Peyton Manning, Mike Vanderjagt, Rex Grossman and Lovie Smith.

As far as I'm concerned a year without an appearance in the Conference Championship game, essentially a 50-50 shot at the Super Bowl, is a failure.

I think most players and coaches would agree.

Except Carl Peterson, who believes staying under the cap makes for a successful season.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Hull-Os wrote: Yes, I would say a team that wins a playoff game is more successful than a team that doesn't. Pats > Colts this year.

If they disagree they are losers, like Peyton Manning, Mike Vanderjagt, Rex Grossman and Lovie Smith.

As far as I'm concerned a year without an appearance in the Conference Championship game, essentially a 50-50 shot at the Super Bowl, is a failure.

I think most players and coaches would agree.

Except Carl Peterson, who believes staying under the cap makes for a successful season.
You are missing my point.  You can win a playoff game, the wildcard playoff game, and then you have only progressed as far along as the Chiefs got in 97 and 2003.  You won a playoff game, you go on record as winning a playoff game but you went no further than the teams that had byes.  My problem with what PPA says is that there are teams that are on record as winning a playoff game that got no further than where the Chiefs were in 1997 and 2003.  So, the chiefs being among 3 teams that have not won a playoff game in 12 years is pretty meaningless unless you discount those teams that won only wildcard playoffs.  In that sense, I'd rather have the division championship and two weeks rest than winning the wildcard playoff game....not many players, fans and coaches would disagree.  Also in that sense, a division champion is as good as a playoff victory because it puts you that much closer to the Conference Championship without having to play a game and risking injury to key personnel. 
Last edited by Highlander on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Each conference has 16 teams.  6 teams make it to the playoffs.  Not necessarily the 6 best but with the wildcard slots a team could make it even if it is the 2nd or 3rd best team in its division.  For the 8 last years the Chiefs have made the top 6 once.  Although the Chiefs might be making money as a business and are entertaining they cannot be considered a success in sports terms since they have not reached what is considered successful as a sports team.
They have been close to making it but closeness only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes.  Unfortunately the Chiefs throw footballs and not hand grenades and horseshoes.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.