NBA to Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: NBA to Kansas City

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:24 am I know nothing but forgive me for not getting excited about an owner of the shittiest team moving here. I’d feel different if they’d sell to a local ownership group.
I wouldn’t say by any means they’re the shittiest team, but it is very possible they do sell to someone who relocates it here.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"The KC Blades drew very well for quite some time. When the Blades were in the IHL and playing other large market cities, they drew very well. The Blades attendance didn't start to slide till the league itself started making poor decisions and the league fell back into a lower league. The KC Mavericks seem to draw very well for the level of hockey it is."

I remember the Blades quite well. Still have a Blades T-shirt from my time at Kemper. It is a shame that team owners in the league had bigger dreams than what was reality.
The big problems facing KC in acquiring a team in either league are a few.
I don't see a non-local owner moving a team here unless the team can control the arena. Whoever is the current manager of the arena are they willing to give up their control of the arena? Is the City willing to buy out the management contract?
What will be the costs of updating what is now considered to be an old arena to current NBA or NHL standards and who is willing to underwrite those costs? (BTW I don't see the current city council doing it.) And the cost of ancillary space such as a practice facility.
Is a local ownership group with deep, deep pockets willing to buy and support a relocated franchise? So far I haven't seen a group of local owners stepping up and pursuing a team.
Are local businesses willing to step up financially to buy season tickets and advertising to support a team? A team in either league needs a strong season ticket base and businesses willing to pay NHL/NBA market advertising rates.

I am sure there are other things to consider but those above seem to be the major problems.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:00 pm "The KC Blades drew very well for quite some time. When the Blades were in the IHL and playing other large market cities, they drew very well. The Blades attendance didn't start to slide till the league itself started making poor decisions and the league fell back into a lower league. The KC Mavericks seem to draw very well for the level of hockey it is."

I remember the Blades quite well. Still have a Blades T-shirt from my time at Kemper. It is a shame that team owners in the league had bigger dreams than what was reality.
I don't see a non-local owner moving a team here unless the team can control the arena. Whoever is the current manager of the arena are they willing to give up their control of the arena? Is the City willing to buy out the management contract?
What will be the costs of updating what is now considered to be an old arena to current NBA or NHL standards and who is willing to underwrite those costs? (BTW I don't see the current city council doing it.) And the cost of ancillary space such as a practice facility.
Is a local ownership group with deep, deep pockets willing to buy and support a relocated franchise? So far I haven't seen a group of local owners stepping up and pursuing a team.
Are local businesses willing to step up financially to buy season tickets and advertising to support a team? A team in either league needs a strong season ticket base and businesses willing to pay NHL/NBA market advertising rates.

I am sure there are other things to consider but those above seem to be the major problems.
I think it will be moved here for a relocation after the expansion next summer to Vegas/Seattle. These are minor issues compared to what teams like New Orleans are facing right now.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:41 am
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:00 pm "The KC Blades drew very well for quite some time. When the Blades were in the IHL and playing other large market cities, they drew very well. The Blades attendance didn't start to slide till the league itself started making poor decisions and the league fell back into a lower league. The KC Mavericks seem to draw very well for the level of hockey it is."

I think it will be moved here for a relocation after the expansion next summer to Vegas/Seattle. These are minor issues compared to what teams like New Orleans are facing right now.
They are not minor issues. They are a different set of major issues a team would face moving here.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:20 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:41 am

They are not minor issues. They are a different set of major issues a team would face moving here.
1. New Orleans is bleeding money as a franchise, their contract is up in 2024
2. NOLA has an arena *much* worse than the T-Mobile Center that you think is somehow shitty when it's actually a great place (and has been getting renovations). On top of that, NOLA is struggling to get funding for a new one.
3. KC is twice the size of the New Orleans market, and has the potential to reach to three times the size if you count other nearby markets.
4. There's an ever-growing appetite here for NBA now, evidenced by the fact the Mayor tweets about it everyday. I think if even he knows that's what people want to hear, the council and businesses will catch on to that as well. It's not the 2000's anymore.
5. As evidenced by the UT-OU split off from the Big 12 this week, teams are on the move to bigger markets in search of money because of COVID. That's not stopping with college sports, NBA is gonna go searching for better markets with money instead of bleeding.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:42 pm
1. New Orleans is bleeding money as a franchise, their contract is up in 2024
2. NOLA has an arena *much* worse than the T-Mobile Center that you think is somehow shitty when it's actually a great place (and has been getting renovations). On top of that, NOLA is struggling to get funding for a new one.
3. KC is twice the size of the New Orleans market, and has the potential to reach to three times the size if you count other nearby markets.
4. There's an ever-growing appetite here for NBA now, evidenced by the fact the Mayor tweets about it everyday. I think if even he knows that's what people want to hear, the council and businesses will catch on to that as well. It's not the 2000's anymore.
5. As evidenced by the UT-OU split off from the Big 12 this week, teams are on the move to bigger markets in search of money because of COVID. That's not stopping with college sports, NBA is gonna go searching for better markets with money instead of bleeding.
You make valid points but those points still don't overcome, at this time, the points I have made.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

San Diego approved the plan for its new arena a couple days ago.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/bu ... arena-site

If anyone can figure out when they think this thing will get done, let me know.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If you remember back in the 2005-06 season, the New Orleans Hornets (NBA) had to play the season in Oklahoma City because of hurricane Katrina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of ... %20Hornets.

I'm wondering if this current massive hurricane that's incoming could cause them to have to move again like that? I'm hearing it's really bad.
If they did have to move for even a couple months, I assume they'd go to KC. The Raptors wouldn't come here because of they wanted to remain in the Eastern time zone for their fans, but NOLA is in central time. I highly doubt it would even be possible for NOLA to play somewhere hosting NHL because logistics couldn't be worked out this quickly for when NHL teams would be in/out of town during the week.

It's pretty clear to me the only place they could stay in central time for their fans that they could immediately jump into without NHL interference would be the T-Mobile Center. I legit don't think there'd be any other option for the fans in that time zone.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Same with them playing St. Louis or any other West Coast city that has NHL Team but no NBA Team. Also New Orleans closer to Florida,Altanta to.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Feels pretty gross and detached from humanity to be speculating on how KC can benefit from a disaster that’s still unfolding.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

mgsports wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:00 pm Same with them playing St. Louis or any other West Coast city that has NHL Team but no NBA Team. Also New Orleans closer to Florida,Altanta to.
Different time zone in FL or Atlanta. That's the reason why Toronto Raptors wouldn't come here. They still want their home fans to be able to watch games on their normal times.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

horizons82 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:32 pm Feels pretty gross and detached from humanity to be speculating on how KC can benefit from a disaster that’s still unfolding.
I don't think he is exactly saying KC will benefit. Regardless, moving this quickly may be hard with existing bookings at major arenas like Sprint Center and a set in stone schedule for the Pelicans. There are countless university arenas across the midwest and south that could be used instead.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I remember Katrina and the amount of stuff that had to be moved. I don't think he was wishing ill on anyone.

The Sprint center wound be very hard to rebook in this time frame. The amount of contracts aeg would have to break would not make it a lucrative short term moves.

Lots of love to everyone in New Orleans.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

You have to remember university arena's would be even worse because they are playing tons of winter sports too in those same arena's.

If they want to make continue to make money while they're moved out of NOLA they'd need to go to a big market and not a random town. When this happened last time, they were considering 5 big cities.

I'm just saying out of the cities in Central Time, only KC has an arena without an NHL team who's schedule could get in the way.

No matter how badly we try to get any semblance of NBA here, people will always try to find reasons not to. We built that arena for basketball and all they do is host a couple good concerts, a ton of no-name concerts and clown rodeo shows for people who live 2 hours away. F*** that. It's so damn frustrating we can't get what people want because of that. It would truly be one of the best locations for NBA in the country with P&L, etc and then we do nothing with it except random isolated events. If we're just gonna treat it like that then who cares if they even built it in Lee's Summit or some suburb then at that point. Such a waste of great potential. Sorry for the rant.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:37 pm I remember Katrina and the amount of stuff that had to be moved. I don't think he was wishing ill on anyone.

The Sprint center wound be very hard to rebook in this time frame. The amount of contracts aeg would have to break would not make it a lucrative short term moves.

Lots of love to everyone in New Orleans.
Just looking at T-Mobile Center schedule, they don't really much planned after December 7th all the way to March Big 12 tourney. Makes sense due to COVID. My initial thought was that Pelicans would be perfect to solidify events for TMobile Center with all the COVID cancellations of conerts.

https://www.t-mobilecenter.com/events
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Also can eliminate Tampa Bay to because still in Tropical season. Green Bay only where Packers play. Las Vegas has a couple of Arena's.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:49 pm You have to remember university arena's would be even worse because they are playing tons of winter sports too in those same arena's.

If they want to make continue to make money while they're moved out of NOLA they'd need to go to a big market and not a random town. When this happened last time, they were considering 5 big cities.

I'm just saying out of the cities in Central Time, only KC has an arena without an NHL team who's schedule could get in the way.

No matter how badly we try to get any semblance of NBA here, people will always try to find reasons not to. We built that arena for basketball and all they do is host a couple good concerts, a ton of no-name concerts and clown rodeo shows for people who live 2 hours away. F*** that. It's so damn frustrating we can't get what people want because of that. It would truly be one of the best locations for NBA in the country with P&L, etc and then we do nothing with it except random isolated events. If we're just gonna treat it like that then who cares if they even built it in Lee's Summit or some suburb then at that point. Such a waste of great potential. Sorry for the rant.
T-Mobile is one of the busiest arenas in the country without a proper sports tenant. If you’re booked at any arena, you’re definitely not a no-name act. I’d love to see a NBA or NHL team full time but the arena has more than lived up to its expectations.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

horizons82 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:32 pm Feels pretty gross and detached from humanity to be speculating on how KC can benefit from a disaster that’s still unfolding.
If anyone has been doing their due diligence, they’ve been speculating where to move things for the last week.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:10 am
If anyone has been doing their due diligence, they’ve been speculating where to move things for the last week.
I never said they should haven’t organizational preparedness plans.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I cross checked the whole T-Mobile center schedule and only one day right now has a conflict. On that day, the my could just play in Lawrence at Allen Fieldhouse!