Royals at TD Ameritrade

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Post Reply
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:13 pm

Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by eomaha.com » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:33 am

25,454 watched the Royals beat the Tigers at TD Ameritrade before the opening of the College World Series last week.

Image

Image

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2601
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by brewcrew1000 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:16 am

Probably one of the highest attended games of the year

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3717
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by WSPanic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:28 am

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:16 am
Probably one of the highest attended games of the year
Biggest "home" crowd since Opening Day

User avatar
TrolliKC
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:27 am

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by TrolliKC » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 am

They should do this one game every year

User avatar
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2052
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:30 pm
Location: City Market

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by rxlexi » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:52 am

That's awesome, thanks for sharing.

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3717
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by WSPanic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 am

TrolliKC wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 am
They should do this one game every year
Prying home dates away from professional sports owners is near-impossible. It's probably a miracle this happened at all.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by kcjak » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:31 am

WSPanic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 am
TrolliKC wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 am
They should do this one game every year
Prying home dates away from professional sports owners is near-impossible. It's probably a miracle this happened at all.
Well, the Tampa Bay Rays got permission from MLB to explore splitting the season between Tampa and Montreal, and Montreal split games w/San Juan before they left. I think MLB will do just about anything to shore up attendance, which is pretty bleak for many teams this year.

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2601
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by brewcrew1000 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 am

I also think this will be how MLB stadiums will be built in the future. 25-30k seats with decent views all over the park especially in the smaller markets. It looks nicer when a stadium is almost full at 25k capacity vs a 35k-45k seat stadium. The costs might be large enough that maybe the owners will start building them out of pocket. Tampa and Miami need stadiums like TD Ameritrade

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6362
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by shinatoo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:55 pm

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 am
I also think this will be how MLB stadiums will be built in the future. 25-30k seats with decent views all over the park especially in the smaller markets. It looks nicer when a stadium is almost full at 25k capacity vs a 35k-45k seat stadium. The costs might be large enough that maybe the owners will start building them out of pocket. Tampa and Miami need stadiums like TD Ameritrade
Yes, with more suites. Scarcity drives higher prices and season ticket sales, and the major revenue for teams is from TV and suites. But I think 25k is too small even for minor markets. 30-35k is more likely.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3717
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by WSPanic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:58 pm

kcjak wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:31 am
WSPanic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 am
TrolliKC wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 am
They should do this one game every year
Prying home dates away from professional sports owners is near-impossible. It's probably a miracle this happened at all.
Well, the Tampa Bay Rays got permission from MLB to explore splitting the season between Tampa and Montreal, and Montreal split games w/San Juan before they left. I think MLB will do just about anything to shore up attendance, which is pretty bleak for many teams this year.
Yeah - I heard. That's not what this was. David Glass is not looking to give up any home game revenues.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by kcjak » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:20 pm

WSPanic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:58 pm
kcjak wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:31 am
WSPanic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 am


Prying home dates away from professional sports owners is near-impossible. It's probably a miracle this happened at all.
Well, the Tampa Bay Rays got permission from MLB to explore splitting the season between Tampa and Montreal, and Montreal split games w/San Juan before they left. I think MLB will do just about anything to shore up attendance, which is pretty bleak for many teams this year.
Yeah - I heard. That's not what this was. David Glass is not looking to give up any home game revenues.
Yeah - that's exactly what this was. Not splitting a season between two cities like Tampa/Montreal or KC/Omaha Sizzlers, but the opportunity to get more people in Omaha and elsewhere excited about the Royals and either watching a game on tv or attending a game in KC. Does anyone think they won't be looking to make this an annual event since it was a success and home attendance was slumping?

It won't be a thing for teams like the Yankees or Cubs but for teams with attendance averaging below 25K it is worth exploring for at least a game every season.

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2601
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by brewcrew1000 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:22 pm

I think its a great idea but i think the only reason why they did this was because of the College World Series kickoff. I don't see the Tigers playing a game in Grand Rapids anytime soon or Brewers playing in Madison

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3717
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by WSPanic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 pm

TD Ameritrade is kind of uniquely suited to host something like this. What other stadiums (stadia?) other than that one are over 10K and can fit a baseball field. I'm not sure you can wedge a baseball field into a Soccer-specific stadium like CMP.

I don't even think Doubleday Field in Cooperstown seats 10K.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29625
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by KCPowercat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Tampa is not a situation we want the royals in.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7835
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by flyingember » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:17 pm

WSPanic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 pm
TD Ameritrade is kind of uniquely suited to host something like this. What other stadiums (stadia?) other than that one are over 10K and can fit a baseball field. I'm not sure you can wedge a baseball field into a Soccer-specific stadium like CMP.

I don't even think Doubleday Field in Cooperstown seats 10K.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... y_capacity

Ignore the little league one that seats "40,000" and there's over 30 above 10,000 that could be candidates. I didn't look at all of them but the other leagues also have stadiums.

gsmith601
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:00 am

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by gsmith601 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:18 pm

The Pirates or Phillies now play in Williamsport every year. This is more similar to that.

MLB is also exploring holding the draft in Omaha every year to coincide with the CWS.

Greg

dnweava
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: Royals at TD Ameritrade

Post by dnweava » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:03 pm

WSPanic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 pm
TD Ameritrade is kind of uniquely suited to host something like this. What other stadiums (stadia?) other than that one are over 10K and can fit a baseball field. I'm not sure you can wedge a baseball field into a Soccer-specific stadium like CMP.

I don't even think Doubleday Field in Cooperstown seats 10K.
There are tons of AA, AAA, NCAA, and Spring training stadiums that can host over 10k. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... y_capacity

I count 43 baseball specific stadiums in the US with 10,000+ setas excluding MLB, Omaha, and Williamsport, plus a ton of others in the 7,500-10,000 range that can push over 10k with grass and temp seating.

San Juan and Buffalo have the largest, SJ even hosted the expos for half a season before they became the nationals.

Even Hammons Field down in Springfield, MO can with 7,500 seats can host over 10,000 with grass seating and has hosted Cardinals exhibition games before with attendances over 10k.

Plus the stadium in Monterrey Mexico is 22,000+ seats and I could see MLB interested in that market for games too.

Post Reply