World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by kboish »

I disagree. Based on how they described it, it would still be huge. Imagine Brazil being based in KC throughout the entire world cup. All/Many of their fans would also stay in KC and travel to-and-from Brazil's games. We would have huge watch parties for them for a month. All the foreign press would be camped out here. It would be a bigger deal than I thought it would be.

But I still agree that I would be disappointed if that was all we get. Games are a bigger deal.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:04 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:13 pm Well of course. If you host a World Cup here and do it succesfully...who can then ever doubt our ability to do "x". That's always been the knock- some boomer whines about "KC can't do this! We can't have these things!" should go to rest.

Big one could be the Super Bowl. It's now been bumped back to mid-February with the new schedule. Which really should be high-40's-low 50's on average most years here, so we should be able to host with an outdoor stadium with that weather. NY was allowed to do it in 2013 and they're even colder. I think we're juuust south enough to pull it off now with an outdoor venue in mid-Feb. Getting the World Cup should show we can do it.
KC was awarded the super bowl not long ago but citizens complained that there would be too much traffic and activity.
When was not long ago? I don't recall anything like this happening
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

kboish wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:44 am I disagree. Based on how they described it, it would still be huge. Imagine Brazil being based in KC throughout the entire world cup. All/Many of their fans would also stay in KC and travel to-and-from Brazil's games. We would have huge watch parties for them for a month. All the foreign press would be camped out here. It would be a bigger deal than I thought it would be.

But I still agree that I would be disappointed if that was all we get. Games are a bigger deal.
With that said, I do think we’ll get games now that Montreal has dropped out. It was gonna be tight before, but that makes me feel like we’ll get it next. Most predictions from people online all are picking KC too, except for that stupid Yahoo one where the writer basically acts like we’re a bunch of people who live in caves. Everyone else who seemed like they knew KC put us in their top 10.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The fact that Clark Hunt is on the US's executive bid committee has me thinking we have to get it. I mean, seriously...grease those wheels Clark.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kboish wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:46 am
normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:04 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:13 pm Well of course. If you host a World Cup here and do it succesfully...who can then ever doubt our ability to do "x". That's always been the knock- some boomer whines about "KC can't do this! We can't have these things!" should go to rest.

Big one could be the Super Bowl. It's now been bumped back to mid-February with the new schedule. Which really should be high-40's-low 50's on average most years here, so we should be able to host with an outdoor stadium with that weather. NY was allowed to do it in 2013 and they're even colder. I think we're juuust south enough to pull it off now with an outdoor venue in mid-Feb. Getting the World Cup should show we can do it.
KC was awarded the super bowl not long ago but citizens complained that there would be too much traffic and activity.
When was not long ago? I don't recall anything like this happening
KC was awarded the Super Bowl pending the Sports Complex renovations, but it also had to include the rolling roof thingy. That portion of the renovation was to be funded by an internet use tax in Jackson County, which failed at the polls, so the Super Bowl was pulled from KC.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

oh thats right. I forgot that a super bowl was dangled as a carrot for the roof. I now remember how KC voters were somewhat lambasted for their voting logic since they chose to tax themselves for the renovation, while rejected the ticket fee which was to fund the rolling roof (because in theory, many people from outside KC would have actually paid that fee).

I wouldn't really call that voting against a super bowl.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kboish wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:09 am oh thats right. I forgot that a super bowl was dangled as a carrot for the roof. I now remember how KC voters were somewhat lambasted for their voting logic since they chose to tax themselves for the renovation, while rejected the ticket fee which was to fund the rolling roof (because in theory, many people from outside KC would have actually paid that fee).

I wouldn't really call that voting against a super bowl.
I'm pretty sure it was an internet sales tax not a ticket tax. Basically a tax on internet purchases. I'm not even sure how it would have been enforced, but it would probably would have been a pita for businesses. So that's one reason it failed. The other reason is I think a lot of people thought a roof at Arrowhead is silly an it would have taken away from much of its charm. I don't think anybody was really against the superbowl in KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:37 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:53 pm Hotel Philips is also is pretty bad shape FYI.
I thought it had been renovated recently? I mean the renovation is hideous but it seemed pretty extensive
It didn't seem very renovated to me. Maybe new beds and TVs or something. The building seems to need a lot of work. It's a fine hotel for what it is, but if they don't start working on some things, the hotel will deteriorate quickly and become a poorly reviewed hotel.

On a side note, I don't know how many people that volleyball tourney brought to KC, but most downtown hotels were full of them. It seemed like a pretty big impact.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

It was a county use tax for the rolling roof. If both teams would have thrown in for half of the 80 million, 20 each, it probably would have passed. We would have had a super bowl and final 4 by now, Royals ticket sales would be up 10% (more likely to buy a ticket and plan a weekend trip to KC if you know there was no chance of a rainout). And we would probably be a lock for the World Cup.

Just stupid to pass the first one and not the second.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:53 pm It was a county use tax for the rolling roof. If both teams would have thrown in for half of the 80 million, 20 each, it probably would have passed. We would have had a super bowl and final 4 by now, Royals ticket sales would be up 10% (more likely to buy a ticket and plan a weekend trip to KC if you know there was no chance of a rainout). And we would probably be a lock for the World Cup.

Just stupid to pass the first one and not the second.
Yeah, I agree. I was just giving some reasons I heard as to why it failed. It should have just ben a part of the overall reno plans. KC missed out on some massive events and a lot of reasons to improve other infrastructure like transit to the stadiums etc.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Could have maybe build a MLS stadium out there too (maybe between the other two) and there is room for the American Royal Complex and then you start getting some synergy that warrants some development of bars and restaurants. Maybe even some convention infrastructure.

But no, let's just let one of the top five investments in the citys and counties infrastructure languish in a field of parking&

We failed to develop some kind vision for the TSC and we will probably lose it completely in the next ten years.

Two utterly unique facilities that are one of the few examples of mid century stadium architecture left in the world and they will be lost forever.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I would’ve voted against the rolling roof.

If we had it, it would’ve made that turd complex too viable to move the stadiums out of. I fear we would never have even had a chance to move the Royals and/or Chiefs. Use that money on something else than putting lipstick on a pig. That’s basically all I have to say about it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:40 pm I would’ve voted against the rolling roof.

If we had it, it would’ve made that turd complex too viable to move the stadiums out of. I fear we would never have even had a chance to move the Royals and/or Chiefs. Use that money on something else than putting lipstick on a pig. That’s basically all I have to say about it.
The location of Royals stadium is not the best, but the stadium itself is one of the top stadiums in MLB and has become a unique classic. I have been to all but the two newest stadiums (Cobb County Atlanta and the new one in Arlington). If they build a downtown ballpark, it will be a challenge for it not to be just another cookie cutter retro stadium. I enjoy going to Nationals games, but the ballpark has nothing on Kauffman even if the area around it is urban.

Arrowhead on the other hand is in one of the best locations you can put a football stadium. You don't want that massive stadium anywhere near downtown.

It really has sucked that KC has not done more with the sports complex to make it a destination within itself. The dual stadium complex really is neat and has stood the test of time better than most newer stadiums. But there are some things the teams and county/city could have done to make that place amazing.

The rolling roof is one. It would have been an architectural and engineering marvel and made the stadium complex far more attractive to major events and even more concerts at both stadiums.

A high-rise hotel tower between or near the area between the stadiums. It would be a great place to stay even if there was no game to look down on the stadiums or to tour the stadiums when in town.

And bringing the American Royal Complex to the TSC instead of out to KCK is also a missed opportunity to build synergy.

And with all the added events, light rail becomes more viable down I-70 out to the east suburbs. True mass transit, not trams. Then you have a massive park and ride for downtown commuters and major downtown events. The entire I-70 corridor starts to redevelop with TOD etc.

Finally the area around the stadiums. What a mess. I don't even think Blue Ridge has sidewalks. That area should have a cluster of decent hotels at least with pedestrian walkways over Blue Ridge and I-70. Now it's down to a couple of really run down hotel properties and the roads around that area are still unimproved and only deteriorating.

But once in the stadiums, they are still two of the best in their leagues.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Makes you wonder if they didn’t ever put anything there on purpose because they want to leave and don’t wanna be tied down.

The legendary “Fang” on here also mentioned last week that Sporting KC people realize they F’d up and that’s why they halted more development around the stadium site, so they can get out of there at some point and go downtown.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:24 pm Makes you wonder if they didn’t ever put anything there on purpose because they want to leave and don’t wanna be tied down.

The legendary “Fang” on here also mentioned last week that Sporting KC people realize they F’d up and that’s why they halted more development around the stadium site, so they can get out of there at some point and go downtown.
Even if sporting moved, it has to be 15-20 years out. I just don't see any of the teams moving downtown. KC tax payers are not going to vote to move Kauffman downtown. Never ever going to happen. Every time that is even mentioned in social media etc, 90% of the comments are negative about the idea. People can't even figure out how to not drive and park in the river market and take a free tram from five blocks away and you want a 40k seat stadium downtown?

The only way a downtown stadium happens is without a vote. So it would have to be a privately funded MLB stadium. In a market the size of KC that is not going to happen either.

I would be for it for sure at the right location. I think a baseball stadium in the downtown loop will be a disaster. Build in the crossroads area or leave it at the TSC.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If there were no chance of any of it happening I don’t think the idea would have this much traction.

John Sherman has also talked about how a new stadium would increase corporate sponsorship and sell more tickets, and that its better for the community. So there’s some gain.

If you’re including JoCo and those suburbs in the vote? You might be right then. But…those angry fans on social who don’t want it moved are Royals fan who don’t live in KC proper, I have noticed. They’re suburbanites. I think KC itself would vote it in. But, either way, I think they’ll find a way to get it done.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm just being a realist here.

Jackson County voters would never pass moving the stadium from central Jackson County. The only part of the county that might pass that would be those in central KCMO in downtown. South KCMO, East KCMO and the Jackson County suburbs would vote it down. The stadiums are just too convenient to most Jackson County people and they also are economically tied to the stadiums more there vs if they were downtown.

KCMO would also not pass it. You forget that most of KCMO is suburban and even parts of the central city like Brookside and Hyde Park won't vote for something like this. The Northland would likely vote no as well. People in the Northland like the ease of getting into and out of the stadiums and don't want to pay more taxes for a regional asset like that. It's the same reason it's so hard for the city of KCMO to pass a citywide transit tax to fund light rail when light rail is mostly a central city thing.

And JoCo would not support passing a tax to build a stadium in Missouri. I know they passed the Union Station tax, but that was very different.

Lots of people like the idea including John Sherman, but that doesn't mean it will happen. A "proper" downtown ballpark will cost over a billion dollars especially if you include all the infrastructure that would have to be improved. KC is not the kind of town that does stuff like that. It's just not. And if you are going to do it the KC way (half ass and cheaply done) then leave it where it. That would backfire.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Goldman Sachs’s IB division is seen as the dominate player in stadium financing deals. The co-head of IB is a Royals co-owner.

Agree the private deals they do in big markets would be much harder to pull off here.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

GRID wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:18 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:40 pm I would’ve voted against the rolling roof.

The location of Royals stadium is not the best, but the stadium itself is one of the top stadiums in MLB and has become a unique classic. I have been to all but the two newest stadiums (Cobb County Atlanta and the new one in Arlington). If they build a downtown ballpark, it will be a challenge for it not to be just another cookie cutter retro stadium. I enjoy going to Nationals games, but the ballpark has nothing on Kauffman even if the area around it is urban.

Arrowhead on the other hand is in one of the best locations you can put a football stadium. You don't want that massive stadium anywhere near downtown.

It really has sucked that KC has not done more with the sports complex to make it a destination within itself. The dual stadium complex really is neat and has stood the test of time better than most newer stadiums. But there are some things the teams and county/city could have done to make that place amazing.

The rolling roof is one. It would have been an architectural and engineering marvel and made the stadium complex far more attractive to major events and even more concerts at both stadiums.

A high-rise hotel tower between or near the area between the stadiums. It would be a great place to stay even if there was no game to look down on the stadiums or to tour the stadiums when in town.

And bringing the American Royal Complex to the TSC instead of out to KCK is also a missed opportunity to build synergy.

And with all the added events, light rail becomes more viable down I-70 out to the east suburbs. True mass transit, not trams. Then you have a massive park and ride for downtown commuters and major downtown events. The entire I-70 corridor starts to redevelop with TOD etc.

Finally the area around the stadiums. What a mess. I don't even think Blue Ridge has sidewalks. That area should have a cluster of decent hotels at least with pedestrian walkways over Blue Ridge and I-70. Now it's down to a couple of really run down hotel properties and the roads around that area are still unimproved and only deteriorating.

The AR should be in the west bottoms. Those were fun times when you could mingle around the shops and look up at the skyline.

As far as the stadiums, the only thing I can think of that would maybe work is something like what St. Louis has (Ballpark Village). A bar/restaurant/entertainment complex focused on the Chiefs and Royals between the two stadiums that has a covered district like KC Live. But with the Royals talking about moving downtown, I doubt there is any movement on something like that. But I wonder if the Chiefs and Royals have ever reached out to Cordish?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:55 am
GRID wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:18 pm

The AR should be in the west bottoms. Those were fun times when you could mingle around the shops and look up at the skyline.

As far as the stadiums, the only thing I can think of that would maybe work is something like what St. Louis has (Ballpark Village). A bar/restaurant/entertainment complex focused on the Chiefs and Royals between the two stadiums that has a covered district like KC Live. But with the Royals talking about moving downtown, I doubt there is any movement on something like that. But I wonder if the Chiefs and Royals have ever reached out to Cordish?
I've been calling for that since the mid 90's. Was going to call it Truman Town. But I'm afraid that ship has sailed.

But if you are talking about a new stadium downtown for a billion dollars, think what you could do at TSC for a billion. Probably a lot, and light rail too.