World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by WoodDraw »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:55 am
GRID wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:18 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:40 pm I would’ve voted against the rolling roof.

If we had it, it would’ve made that turd complex too viable to move the stadiums out of. I fear we would never have even had a chance to move the Royals and/or Chiefs. Use that money on something else than putting lipstick on a pig. That’s basically all I have to say about it.
The location of Royals stadium is not the best, but the stadium itself is one of the top stadiums in MLB and has become a unique classic. I have been to all but the two newest stadiums (Cobb County Atlanta and the new one in Arlington). If they build a downtown ballpark, it will be a challenge for it not to be just another cookie cutter retro stadium. I enjoy going to Nationals games, but the ballpark has nothing on Kauffman even if the area around it is urban.

Arrowhead on the other hand is in one of the best locations you can put a football stadium. You don't want that massive stadium anywhere near downtown.

It really has sucked that KC has not done more with the sports complex to make it a destination within itself. The dual stadium complex really is neat and has stood the test of time better than most newer stadiums. But there are some things the teams and county/city could have done to make that place amazing.

The rolling roof is one. It would have been an architectural and engineering marvel and made the stadium complex far more attractive to major events and even more concerts at both stadiums.

A high-rise hotel tower between or near the area between the stadiums. It would be a great place to stay even if there was no game to look down on the stadiums or to tour the stadiums when in town.

And bringing the American Royal Complex to the TSC instead of out to KCK is also a missed opportunity to build synergy.

And with all the added events, light rail becomes more viable down I-70 out to the east suburbs. True mass transit, not trams. Then you have a massive park and ride for downtown commuters and major downtown events. The entire I-70 corridor starts to redevelop with TOD etc.

Finally the area around the stadiums. What a mess. I don't even think Blue Ridge has sidewalks. That area should have a cluster of decent hotels at least with pedestrian walkways over Blue Ridge and I-70. Now it's down to a couple of really run down hotel properties and the roads around that area are still unimproved and only deteriorating.

But once in the stadiums, they are still two of the best in their leagues.
The AR should be in the west bottoms. Those were fun times when you could mingle around the shops and look up at the skyline.

As far as the stadiums, the only thing I can think of that would maybe work is something like what St. Louis has (Ballpark Village). A bar/restaurant/entertainment complex focused on the Chiefs and Royals between the two stadiums that has a covered district like KC Live. But with the Royals talking about moving downtown, I doubt there is any movement on something like that. But I wonder if the Chiefs and Royals have ever reached out to Cordish?
I’d be interested to know more about what cordish thinks of the royals downtown. They probably can’t justify two entertainment districts that close in a small market, but my understanding is that they’re not going to oppose anything.

Obviously they’d be wanted for residential. They could have potentialy built out their Power and light and main properties by then.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:30 am
I’d be interested to know more about what cordish thinks of the royals downtown. They probably can’t justify two entertainment districts that close in a small market, but my understanding is that they’re not going to oppose anything.

Obviously they’d be wanted for residential. They could have potentialy built out their Power and light and main properties by then.
There's no reason for anyone to build a second entertainment district less than half a mile away from another. The market can't support it.

P&L is 1550 feet from the SW corner of the possible east village site

The closest Kauffman Stadium entrance is 1840 feet from Lot N. We've parked in Lot N for a business provided meal and then walked to the stadium.

Downtown distances aren't as big as people think they are. P&L is realistic to walk to/from for parking for a game.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

flyingember wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:57 am

There's no reason for anyone to build a second entertainment district less than half a mile away from another. The market can't support it.

P&L is 1550 feet from the SW corner of the possible east village site

The closest Kauffman Stadium entrance is 1840 feet from Lot N. We've parked in Lot N for a business provided meal and then walked to the stadium.

Downtown distances aren't as big as people think they are. P&L is realistic to walk to/from for parking for a game.
Yeah, sorry for being unclear. I wasn’t advocating for another entertainment area. Just wondering out loud if they’d do residential that removed from their core.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think the bigger thing would be just getting in some residential buildings and restaurants downtown next to Royals instead of an entertainment district. That’s probably all we’d need. Unless someone else has a more creative idea.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:26 pm
Yeah, sorry for being unclear. I wasn’t advocating for another entertainment area. Just wondering out loud if they’d do residential that removed from their core.
If there's money to be made, why not?

There's no law or rule requiring a company to be geographically compact.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Does anyone know if Montreal dropping out means there will be 11 cities for the USA now? I've heard conflicting reports, on Wikipedia it says USA will get 11 now, but then Kathy Nelson is saying 10 in her interview yesterday.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:36 pm Does anyone know if Montreal dropping out means there will be 11 cities for the USA now? I've heard conflicting reports, on Wikipedia it says USA will get 11 now, but then Kathy Nelson is saying 10 in her interview yesterday.
KN said this week that she’s heard between 10-12 with 10 being the official number for now. Many seem to think 11 now with the Montreal deal.

Some of the interviews this week covered why being a team host city is exciting: a few teams would be based here for the duration of their play in the games. Their fans would also visit the city throughout. I personally suspect that, like the Gold Cup placement, KC might have a leg up in being home base for US MNT.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:30 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:36 pm Does anyone know if Montreal dropping out means there will be 11 cities for the USA now? I've heard conflicting reports, on Wikipedia it says USA will get 11 now, but then Kathy Nelson is saying 10 in her interview yesterday.
KN said this week that she’s heard between 10-12 with 10 being the official number for now. Many seem to think 11 now with the Montreal deal.

Some of the interviews this week covered why being a team host city is exciting: a few teams would be based here for the duration of their play in the games. Their fans would also visit the city throughout. I personally suspect that, like the Gold Cup placement, KC might have a leg up in being home base for US MNT.
But…what about getting a game here?

If we do get a game here I’m gonna go back to that first comment on this thread back in 2017 where that guy says “There’s no chance we get a game here at all” and use that as a perfect example for all these people who say things will never happen in KC. So sick of that attitude. People do it with every project/event here
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:55 am
GRID wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:18 pm

The location of Royals stadium is not the best, but the stadium itself is one of the top stadiums in MLB and has become a unique classic. I have been to all but the two newest stadiums (Cobb County Atlanta and the new one in Arlington). If they build a downtown ballpark, it will be a challenge for it not to be just another cookie cutter retro stadium. I enjoy going to Nationals games, but the ballpark has nothing on Kauffman even if the area around it is urban.

Arrowhead on the other hand is in one of the best locations you can put a football stadium. You don't want that massive stadium anywhere near downtown.

It really has sucked that KC has not done more with the sports complex to make it a destination within itself. The dual stadium complex really is neat and has stood the test of time better than most newer stadiums. But there are some things the teams and county/city could have done to make that place amazing.

The rolling roof is one. It would have been an architectural and engineering marvel and made the stadium complex far more attractive to major events and even more concerts at both stadiums.

A high-rise hotel tower between or near the area between the stadiums. It would be a great place to stay even if there was no game to look down on the stadiums or to tour the stadiums when in town.

And bringing the American Royal Complex to the TSC instead of out to KCK is also a missed opportunity to build synergy.

And with all the added events, light rail becomes more viable down I-70 out to the east suburbs. True mass transit, not trams. Then you have a massive park and ride for downtown commuters and major downtown events. The entire I-70 corridor starts to redevelop with TOD etc.

Finally the area around the stadiums. What a mess. I don't even think Blue Ridge has sidewalks. That area should have a cluster of decent hotels at least with pedestrian walkways over Blue Ridge and I-70. Now it's down to a couple of really run down hotel properties and the roads around that area are still unimproved and only deteriorating.

But once in the stadiums, they are still two of the best in their leagues.
The AR should be in the west bottoms. Those were fun times when you could mingle around the shops and look up at the skyline.

As far as the stadiums, the only thing I can think of that would maybe work is something like what St. Louis has (Ballpark Village). A bar/restaurant/entertainment complex focused on the Chiefs and Royals between the two stadiums that has a covered district like KC Live. But with the Royals talking about moving downtown, I doubt there is any movement on something like that. But I wonder if the Chiefs and Royals have ever reached out to Cordish?

Cordish 100% supports a downtown baseball stadium and has been a part of a group, including Royals ownership to build one downtown. They've partnered with other baseball teams, so the reputation is there.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Good news on the KC bid in regards to the Gold Cup low attendance affect KC.

Apparently, in Gold Cup matches around the country in rival host cities (Orlando, Dallas, Houston, etc.) their attendance was even *lower* than KC's was. It seems we're fine on that end.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

“Gold Cup matches around the country are seeing relatively light crowds — Kansas City’s matches have outdrawn those in fellow bid cities Houston, Dallas and Orland — and, besides, the USMNT-Canada match on Sunday will be sold out. Event organizers couldn’t even find tickets for Patrick Mahomes. They will have sold more than 40,000 tickets by the end of the weekend.

Kansas City’s biggest weakness in terms of a World Cup bid might be our public transportation, and if this provides extra motivation for us to get closer to where major cities should be in the 21st century then the process will benefit us long after the tournament is over.”

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:08 pm “Gold Cup matches around the country are seeing relatively light crowds — Kansas City’s matches have outdrawn those in fellow bid cities Houston, Dallas and Orland — and, besides, the USMNT-Canada match on Sunday will be sold out. Event organizers couldn’t even find tickets for Patrick Mahomes. They will have sold more than 40,000 tickets by the end of the weekend.

Kansas City’s biggest weakness in terms of a World Cup bid might be our public transportation, and if this provides extra motivation for us to get closer to where major cities should be in the 21st century then the process will benefit us long after the tournament is over.”

The plus side is, transit is something we could fix rather quickly, the difficulty with other cities is facilities, and we’re leading the pack in that regard (at least with midsized cities)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:07 am
normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:08 pm “Gold Cup matches around the country are seeing relatively light crowds — Kansas City’s matches have outdrawn those in fellow bid cities Houston, Dallas and Orland — and, besides, the USMNT-Canada match on Sunday will be sold out. Event organizers couldn’t even find tickets for Patrick Mahomes. They will have sold more than 40,000 tickets by the end of the weekend.

The plus side is, transit is something we could fix rather quickly, the difficulty with other cities is facilities, and we’re leading the pack in that regard (at least with midsized cities)
We get caught up in discussions around transit to stadiums but such a big piece of this is transit between hotels and airport and hotels and activities/dinning
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:07 am The plus side is, transit is something we could fix rather quickly, the difficulty with other cities is facilities, and we’re leading the pack in that regard (at least with midsized cities)
Is there not a shortterm fix that could be setup just for this event? Extra Amtrak trains running from Independence and Lee's Summit, agreement with freight to allow passenger traffic for one week, highway lane closing just for dedicated busses/direct route?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:14 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:07 am The plus side is, transit is something we could fix rather quickly, the difficulty with other cities is facilities, and we’re leading the pack in that regard (at least with midsized cities)
highway lane closing just for dedicated busses/direct route?
this is part if our proposal
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The more I think about this, I think the thing that would get us the games is gonna be the training facilities. That's something FIFA can't go without.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:40 pm The more I think about this, I think the thing that would get us the games is gonna be the training facilities. That's something FIFA can't go without.
Not really how it works. Kansas City will be a very sought after home base for countries whether we get games or not.

Countries start fighting over where they train early. KC will get a few.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:59 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:40 pm The more I think about this, I think the thing that would get us the games is gonna be the training facilities. That's something FIFA can't go without.
Not really how it works. Kansas City will be a very sought after home base for countries whether we get games or not.

Countries start fighting over where they train early. KC will get a few.
But that’s what I’m saying, if teams want to train here it probably raises the chances they’d have games here too. Also the central location.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I don't get why everyone is making Transit out to be a bad thing in KC, instead of highlighting the fact that we have an awesome highway infrastructure system with zero congestion. Uber, taxis, and other ride hailing services are still a date, are they not? Busses?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

im2kull wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:26 am I don't get why everyone is making Transit out to be a bad thing in KC, instead of highlighting the fact that we have an awesome highway infrastructure system with zero congestion. Uber, taxis, and other ride hailing services are still a date, are they not? Busses?
I get the streetcar can't really be considered mass transit but it's still nice we have something that could take people from Plaza hotels to potential stadium busses downtown for free