World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:57 pm As much as many people on here (cough GRID) like to shoot down everything KC has, and bring up every reason why we shouldn't be able to host games- people seem to neglect that every single city on the final 17 list has their own share of problems too. Go and read articles from other cities papers and all of them complain about *something* with their bid, whether it be hotels, distance, weather, etc. Some people on here act like we're in hell and every other city is perfect. The big is not 100% contingent on just hotels & transport. And believe it or not, KC isn't the only city that has some issues with that category.
Hey, I never said KC couldn't or shouldn't host the games. The only thing I have ever said is that I think KC has some of the worst infrastructure of any major city and putting a baseball stadium downtown will expose that.

I also think KC people think way too much of the downtown streetcar system (very slow single vehicle trams that run in traffic). It's great for what it does (it's a fantastic circulator for short urban trips). But it's wildly in-efficient and under capacity to even help with things like major stadiums events.

I don't see a problem with KC hosting the World Cup. It would be nice if I-70 between downtown and the stadiums didn't still look like one of the most dated and depressing urban interstates in the country and it would be nice if KC would build light rail out to the east suburbs with a stop at the stadiums. But I digress.

I guess the best KC can hope for is running trams from the plaza to the stadiums in the next 20 years. Which will move WAY less people than the metro buses did when KCATA had the Chiefs Express.

It's constructive criticism. Of course I want KC to host major events. But KC is one of the worst cities in the country now when it comes to building and maintaining high level modern infrastructure. And that is a major obstacle to overcome when it comes to landing big events or building downtown stadiums.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:53 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:57 pm As much as many people on here (cough GRID) like to shoot down everything KC has, and bring up every reason why we ashouldn't be able to host games- people seem to neglect that every single city on the final 17 list has their own share of problems too. Go and read articles from other cities papers and all of them complain about *something* with their bid, whether it be hotels, distance, weather, etc. Some people on here act like we're in hell and every other city is perfect. The big is not 100% contingent on just hotels & transport. And believe it or not, KC isn't the only city that has some issues with that category.
Hey, I never said KC couldn't or shouldn't host the games. The only thing I have ever said is that I think KC has some of the worst infrastructure of any major city and putting a baseball stadium downtown will expose that.

I also think KC people think way too much of the downtown streetcar system (very slow single vehicle trams that run in traffic). It's great for what it does (it's a fantastic circulator for short urban trips). But it's wildly in-efficient and under capacity to even help with things like major stadiums events.

I don't see a problem with KC hosting the World Cup. It would be nice if I-70 between downtown and the stadiums didn't still look like one of the most dated and depressing urban interstates in the country and it would be nice if KC would build light rail out to the east suburbs with a stop at the stadiums. But I digress.

I guess the best KC can hope for is running trams from the plaza to the stadiums in the next 20 years. Which will move WAY less people than the metro buses did when KCATA had the Chiefs Express.

It's constructive criticism. Of course I want KC to host major events. But KC is one of the worst cities in the country now when it comes to building and maintaining high level modern infrastructure. And that is a major obstacle to overcome when it comes to landing big events or building downtown stadiums.
Agree with streetcar being a circulator. Hope that we can build something more tram train or light rail like for east west and rock island. Maybe we will one day have what Portland has, overlapping streetcar and light rail networks.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:27 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:16 pm ^Yeah, I read that too and where are they getting $500 mil from? To set up a large screen and expand a football field? That doesn't cost that much.

Could they get the state involved?

I think KC's best play is geography. They need a city like ours to bridge the gap between the coasts.
Star May have taken lowest possible income - highest possible expense.

The new BAP likely would be used for a fan site and would cost $70-100 million alone but not exactly a WC specific expense. So if that’s where they are getting these costs I can see how it could add up to a ridiculously high number.
They are talking economic impact (people buying hotel rooms, merch, food, etc) to the city, not expenditures by the host city on infastructure.

If anyone who has read this board should know that these types of estimates for mega events are often significantly exaggerated. At least the US affair should have lower expenses than previous countries. Brazil and South Africa have taken on a ton of debt as a result of their WC hosting, with new giant stadiums left unfilled. I'm all for getting it and I think it's a great thing and generally economically positive in our position because our capital investments that we wouldn't be doing except for the world cup are relatively minimal (Arrowhead renovations, BRT to Truman).
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:03 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:57 pm As much as many people on here (cough GRID) like to shoot down everything KC has, and bring up every reason why we ashouldn't be able to host games- people seem to neglect that every single city on the final 17 list has their own share of problems too. Go and read articles from other cities papers and all of them complain about *something* with their bid, whether it be hotels, distance, weather, etc. Some people on here act like we're in hell and every other city is perfect. The big is not 100% contingent on just hotels & transport. And believe it or not, KC isn't the only city that has some issues with that category.

Agree with streetcar being a circulator. Hope that we can build something more tram train or light rail like for east west and rock island. Maybe we will one day have what Portland has, overlapping streetcar and light rail networks.
Who was asking it to be more than a circulator though? The streetcar is the best case scenario for what we could put in the urban core here. It moves quickly, gets the job done, is expanding, free to use, is being useful to residents and most importantly it's driving development. I can't believe anyone would complain about that, especially when you see the shortfalls in other cities with it. Ours is filled to the brim all the time so of course it's useful to people.

As for GRID...Idk why some people complain it's slow? It moves from stop to stop very quickly (or atleast unnoticeably slow?) and the wait in between stops was better by far the Chicago & Denver rail I experienced this summer. The traffic and red lights don't really slow it down that much.

As far as the urban core goes, the streetcar might make alot more money and development for the city than a light rail in the urban core would considering the cost savings. My prediction is people will stop shitting on it as "not useful" after the expansion is up and running. For students, residents anywhere in the urban core (especially young people) it really is a game changer.

Long term, and outside of the core, yes we need real light rail. But many cities run streetcars in their urban cores & light rail outside it. Portland & Denver are good examples of that exact model.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

How much would it take to restore the Rock Island tracks and bring in some proper commuter rail cars from Chicago and run WC spectators from Union Station out to TCS?

Get an agreement with KC Intermodal for track priority during those times.

Feels like this would be an atainable project for 2026.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:48 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:03 pm

Who was asking it to be more than a circulator though? The streetcar is the best case scenario for what we could put in the urban core here. It moves quickly, gets the job done, is expanding, free to use, is being useful to residents and most importantly it's driving development. I can't believe anyone would complain about that, especially when you see the shortfalls in other cities with it. Ours is filled to the brim all the time so of course it's useful to people.

As for GRID...Idk why some people complain it's slow? It moves from stop to stop very quickly (or atleast unnoticeably slow?) and the wait in between stops was better by far the Chicago & Denver rail I experienced this summer. The traffic and red lights don't really slow it down that much.

As far as the urban core goes, the streetcar might make alot more money and development for the city than a light rail in the urban core would considering the cost savings. My prediction is people will stop shitting on it as "not useful" after the expansion is up and running. For students, residents anywhere in the urban core (especially young people) it really is a game changer.

Long term, and outside of the core, yes we need real light rail. But many cities run streetcars in their urban cores & light rail outside it. Portland & Denver are good examples of that exact model.
Again, the streetcar is fine for what it does. It's an urban tram. It's probably the best modern streetcar line in the country right now despite its main downfall (running in mixed traffic).

I never said it was a bad investment or anything like that and it could be drastically improved if cars were restricted on parts of the line like Main Street in the loop and portions of the river market.

That said, it's not "mass" or "high speed" transit. It's not for long distances. It's not for moving a large amount of people. Running streetcars to KCI or Village West or even the TSC is just plain silly. Build out a modern tram system in the city and build a true light rail system to compliment it for regional transit (including the stadiums).

I honest to god do not understand how the streetcar would even function if a baseball stadium were downtown. First off the trams will be stuck in game traffic and secondly, they are barely bigger than a single articulated bus. That is not going to do much of anything to help get 20-30 thousand people to a downtown stadium. Let alone 70,000 out to Arrowhead.

I like the KC streetcar. I think it's great for the city. But KC needs light rail out to Blue Springs/Independence/Lee's Summit etc with a stop at the stadiums. Not commuter rail, not streetcar, but actual light rail. And light rail would do wonders for eastern KCMO, the I-70 corridor and the Jackson county suburbs. Having easy access to the stadiums from downtown (and the entire urban core via the streetcar) is just icing on the cake.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Ok I'll bite because I've been seeing the term for weeks now- what the hell is "Rock Island"?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:29 pm Ok I'll bite because I've been seeing the term for weeks now- what the hell is "Rock Island"?
Google Jackson County Commuter Corridors and Rock Island Right of Way
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:29 pm Ok I'll bite because I've been seeing the term for weeks now- what the hell is "Rock Island"?
https://www.kcur.org/community/2015-09- ... on-pacific
Former train line owned by Union Pacific that goes from Lee's Summit to the TSC. Many think it can be used for commuter rail into DT. Right now, it has been developed as very nice bike trails. Go check it out!
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

https://www.jacksongov.org/files/shared ... boards.pdf

Scroll to last page.

I think it's a good idea. If you ran a streetcar to TSC along center of Linwood, you could then run another phase of Enhanced Streetcar down Rock Island Railroad without taking land or cutting up streets through Raytown, Lee Summit, as far as even Pleasant Hill on a right of way the county already owns and used to be an actual rail road (the Rock Island Railroad). The trail there now has enough room to add tracks next to it without disruption to walking/biking. I wouldn't want to put a Diesel unit there right next to hikers though.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I see…so essentially we’d save money on having to pay millions for rail because the track is already built out. Is that the general idea?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:08 pm I see…so essentially we’d save money on having to pay millions for rail because the track is already built out. Is that the general idea?
Yes! Well, the right of way is. You'd need to re-build bridges and track I believe. But it'd be cheaper to do. In the mean time, it's a great bike and hiking trail and enabled connection to Katy trail.

Not pertinent to this thread however. If we had the line complete to TSC, maybe we wouldn't have been rated so badly in the Transit category by FIFA. Now the best we will do is bus. Any rail to TSC before 2026 is not feasible.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:11 pm If we had the line complete to TSC, maybe we wouldn't have been rated so badly in the Transit category by FIFA. Now the best we will do is bus. Any rail to TSC before 2026 is not feasible.
It’s feasible, just not financially so presently. If FIFA came back and said they would give us the games but required some type of direct rail to the TSC, I think the powers that be would find a way to make it happen.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX1BPItDcDo

Here you can see the former Rock Island rail line going past the stadium.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0419091 ... a=!3m1!1e3

When you go under this bridge, you are going under the Rock Island right-of-way.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0431592 ... 312!8i6656
Last edited by FangKC on Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:11 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:08 pm I see…so essentially we’d save money on having to pay millions for rail because the track is already built out. Is that the general idea?
Yes! Well, the right of way is. You'd need to re-build bridges and track I believe. But it'd be cheaper to do. In the mean time, it's a great bike and hiking trail and enabled connection to Katy trail.

Not pertinent to this thread however. If we had the line complete to TSC, maybe we wouldn't have been rated so badly in the Transit category by FIFA. Now the best we will do is bus. Any rail to TSC before 2026 is not feasible.
Bridges are good to go. Need to build track and do grading for sidings or double track. Diesel units were proposed but you could do battery powered with OCS in the city and at stations. Really we are build US to UMKC is 4-5 years. It would be tight to turn around and do TSC before 2026 unless we got funding immeditaly (possible if the state directs most/all of the stimulus to us) and bypassed the year of utility moves.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:18 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:11 pm If we had the line complete to TSC, maybe we wouldn't have been rated so badly in the Transit category by FIFA. Now the best we will do is bus. Any rail to TSC before 2026 is not feasible.
It’s feasible, just not financially so presently. If FIFA came back and said they would give us the games but required some type of direct rail to the TSC, I think the powers that be would find a way to make it happen.
Does FIFA ever say "If you do this, we'll give you the games"? Because they have to know they run a risk that by 2026 the given city may not complete what they want, and then they're stuck with it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:45 pm Does FIFA ever say "If you do this, we'll give you the games"? Because they have to know they run a risk that by 2026 the given city may not complete what they want, and then they're stuck with it.
FIFA does whatever FIFA wants.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anyone else worried though that if they rush to do some light rail job for 2026, they’ll do a half-ass job and not think it all the way through because they’re rushing to meet the 2026 timeline?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:09 pm Anyone else worried though that if they rush to do some light rail job for 2026, they’ll do a half-ass job and not think it all the way through because they’re rushing to meet the 2026 timeline?
No because they're not going to do any rail for 2026.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:21 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:09 pm Anyone else worried though that if they rush to do some light rail job for 2026, they’ll do a half-ass job and not think it all the way through because they’re rushing to meet the 2026 timeline?
No because they're not going to do any rail for 2026.
Exactly. The bid said buses. That's what you'll get.