World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Perfectly fine with me! I'd rather not do a half-ass job that's rushed and not thought through for the long haul. BRT is much better long term than light-rail. I'm sure Dave would have some concerns about rushing it for 2026 as well.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I'm copying this from a transit thread for posterity since it crosses topics.

Busses is the clear winner. And not buying them but leasing coach busses from the big operators for a few days. Something designed to carry luggage.
-----------------

I saw something that described the transportation demand for World Cup as needing to move everyone out of town in ten hours all in a giant one way movement. The same where everyone is entering town all at once.

Qatar is going to have 1100 electric busses for the World Cup just as one piece of the puzzle for next year.

Arrowhead holds 76,000. Walmart left KC when they reached 8000 people at their convention, they couldn't find enough rooms and were already 25 miles away from downtown. That's Olathe, so there isn't enough rooms for 8000 people in the entire city.

KC would be using hotel rooms in St. Louis and people will be coming by coach bus to the game intercity the same day. There will be a mass exodus from town on top of the Fan Fests in each city drawing thousands to come into the city who can't get a ticket.

We're talking the scale of temporary airport terminals, taking road lanes away to serve as express bus routes and massive car parks on the edge of the city.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So we go full BRT and hope Bravo and that Plaza Holiday Inn hotel spot are done by 2026?

Wonder what % of the games at Arrowhead would be from KC area or a place where they would drive in from their home and not need hotel.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:58 am So we go full BRT and hope Bravo and that Plaza Holiday Inn hotel spot are done by 2026?

Wonder what % of the games at Arrowhead would be from KC area or a place where they would drive in from their home and not need hotel.
Looking at past locations around 2-3 games across a week or so was common for each smaller stadium. It makes sense because the fans and teams of country A and B leave and the fans and teams of country C and D arrive a day or two later.

On the scale of the World Cup, BRT is still the wrong scale. People aren't going to drive to one transit line to get there.

The Air Show is a better example with predefined staging locations with tons of parking. I picture a timed transport ticket with security at the drop off point so disallowed items can be left in your vehicle. You get on and it's nonstop service with dedicated traffic lanes. Unless you're a VIP a standard vehicle isn't allowed to go to the stadium. Think every hotel shuttle being lined up and the hotel is approved to offer service.

I expect much of the stadium is tied to more important things than cars like a medical tent and a media presence. I wouldn't argue it will happen but I can see having multuple life flight helicopters staged at the stadium with the space around.

Where the bus system could help is access to fan fests. Apparently they're required now. So being able to get people downtown via city bus has far more value than to the stadium.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Although my experience is from 1994 I think it would still be pertinent to today.
There are two types of fans going to the games. Of course one is the fans following their home country team. The other is a fan who buys a package for games at one location. We saw 3 first round games in Chicago and one second round game. For the first game we drove to Chicago and back for the first game. Drove there for the next two games staying overnight for two nights and driving to stay with friends living in St Louis for one night in between games 2 and 3. For game 4 we flew up and back for that afternoon game because we had a big party to attend in the evening.
Flying had a big advantage because we took the mass transit from Midway to two or three blocks from Soldiers Field and the reverse after the game. Also we stayed downtown and could walk to Soldiers Field.
I’m sure other cities have similar drawbacks like Kansas City but how many are more like Chicago than KC?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I also went to games in 94 - in Dallas. There were no single match tickets available...only packages. And if I remember correctly, you could buy packages for a city early (in case of a sellout) and hope that you were rewarded with good teams. We didn't care who we saw for those three matches, we bought tickets because Dallas was close and easy to get to. And back then there was no DART to get people to the Cotton Bowl - driving or buses only.

Times have changed in thirty years, back then there were nine cities and only half had any sort of fixed transit (I think).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:23 pm Although my experience is from 1994 I think it would still be pertinent to today.
There are two types of fans going to the games. Of course one is the fans following their home country team. The other is a fan who buys a package for games at one location. We saw 3 first round games in Chicago and one second round game. For the first game we drove to Chicago and back for the first game. Drove there for the next two games staying overnight for two nights and driving to stay with friends living in St Louis for one night in between games 2 and 3. For game 4 we flew up and back for that afternoon game because we had a big party to attend in the evening.
Flying had a big advantage because we took the mass transit from Midway to two or three blocks from Soldiers Field and the reverse after the game. Also we stayed downtown and could walk to Soldiers Field.
I’m sure other cities have similar drawbacks like Kansas City but how many are more like Chicago than KC?
Atlanta is in a strong position because their airport has the capacity, their stadium is easily accessed by all forms of transit from the airport and would be walkable to many hotels downtown without shuttle vehicles. They have the hotel room numbers from hosting other big events regularly. Only LA, Orlando and Las Vegas have more rooms.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:58 am So we go full BRT and hope Bravo and that Plaza Holiday Inn hotel spot are done by 2026?

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Jesus. I hope KC is able to add more than a couple small hotels by 2026. That barely makes up for the loss of the Adams Mark across from the stadiums.

Speaking of that hotel, I sure hope the city helps get that hotel opened back up. Not everybody wants to stay downtown. The state of the hotels near the stadiums has gone from bad to terrible.

A much more important hotel that needs to open for the WC is the Downtown Embassy Suites with 300 rooms. And it might take till 2026, if it opens at all.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That Embassy Suites, in the former Federal Reserve Bank, has been a maddening experience. I think the Loews wasn't even on the radar when they announced the conversion.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

FangKC wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:07 pm That Embassy Suites, in the former Federal Reserve Bank, has been a maddening experience. I think the Loews wasn't even on the radar when they announced the conversion.
Maddening is correct. This would be a big project.

That garage omg. If only they could implode that and start over.

I could see east9 doing a significant Airbnb here for the cup.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would develop that whole block at once. That way one could do infill and deal with the shared parking needs.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:07 pm That Embassy Suites, in the former Federal Reserve Bank, has been a maddening experience. I think the Loews wasn't even on the radar when they announced the conversion.
It was announced in 2013.
The Hyatt announcement was in 2015.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

kcjak wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:19 am I also went to games in 94 - in Dallas. There were no single match tickets available...only packages. And if I remember correctly, you could buy packages for a city early (in case of a sellout) and hope that you were rewarded with good teams. We didn't care who we saw for those three matches, we bought tickets because Dallas was close and easy to get to. And back then there was no DART to get people to the Cotton Bowl - driving or buses only.

Times have changed in thirty years, back then there were nine cities and only half had any sort of fixed transit (I think).
The WC games were a high school graduation present for my son. We were wanting another city, can't remember which one, but that city was sold out. Chicago was second choice.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FIFA in KC next Thursday. May attend the women's national team game that night. Hope there is a big turnout
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 pm FIFA in KC next Thursday. May attend the women's national team game that night. Hope there is a big turnout
It'd prob be wise for SKC or city to put out the word that we need to turn out for that game for World Cup chances
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

GRID wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:09 pm

Jesus. I hope KC is able to add more than a couple small hotels by 2026. That barely makes up for the loss of the Adams Mark across from the stadiums.

Speaking of that hotel, I sure hope the city helps get that hotel opened back up. Not everybody wants to stay downtown. The state of the hotels near the stadiums has gone from bad to terrible.

A much more important hotel that needs to open for the WC is the Downtown Embassy Suites with 300 rooms. And it might take till 2026, if it opens at all.
And I hope 4 Light is announced soon as a hotel. Even a half residential and half hotel would be nice. Maybe a Live by Lowes similar to the one in St. Louis, but with residential on the middle to upper floors?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, half and half lowers risk for the hotel portion, especially operations as residents can use the hotel services. And downtown hotels don't need as much parking. Some dual buildings also allow residential guest parking during down hotel periods.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Tomorrow is the big day. Downtown has turned light blue with fun signs across the city. Show up to the Women’s NT game tomorrow!!!!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 pm FIFA in KC next Thursday. May attend the women's national team game that night. Hope there is a big turnout
Big press event today at the Live block. VP of Fifa, Clark Hunt, John Sherman, Mayor Lucas plus several other players will be there.