World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by GRID »

im2kull wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:26 am I don't get why everyone is making Transit out to be a bad thing in KC, instead of highlighting the fact that we have an awesome highway infrastructure system with zero congestion. Uber, taxis, and other ride hailing services are still a date, are they not? Busses?
Exactly. As much as regional transit sucks in KC. I honestly don't think it matters one bit in this case. What matters is KC will have a really nice urban tram system in place connecting all the urban core districts, attractions and hotels so people can easily move throughout the parts of the city that people will want to see.

The key to getting people to and from the stadium will be with a well organized bus system and that would be needed even if KC had light rail.

KC will need to simply run an efficient bus route system to the Plaza, Downtown, Crown Center and suburban hotel districts like KCI and Overland Park. Run a coach bus from KCI to river market every 30 minutes too.

So having a few key places to catch buses along the streetcar line and those buses having dedicated lanes all the way to the stadium is all that really needs to be done. You could even just run the stadium buses up and down main right along the streetcar tracks, so they are easy to find.

They would do the same thing for Giants stadium, Rose Bowl, Washington DC, Miami, Dallas, Boston and Philly. None of those have high quality transit accessible football stadiums.
Last edited by GRID on Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

im2kull wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:26 am I don't get why everyone is making Transit out to be a bad thing in KC, instead of highlighting the fact that we have an awesome highway infrastructure system with zero congestion. Uber, taxis, and other ride hailing services are still a date, are they not? Busses?
Highway infrastructure doesn’t matter when it comes to visitors going about their stays outside of game time. There aren’t going to be 80,000 Uber’s to dinner the night before the big game. People will want to walk or take transit to dinner or a museum . Rail specifically is easy to understand and other cities offer it
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:54 am
Highway infrastructure doesn’t matter when it comes to visitors going about their stays outside of game time. There aren’t going to be 80,000 Uber’s to dinner the night before the big game. People will want to walk or take transit to dinner or a museum . Rail specifically is easy to understand and other cities offer it
The problem is that you would need real mass transit to the stadiums to make any sense at all. Running streetcars to the stadiums has to be one the dumbest things I have ever heard. That's just a terrible idea. It just won't work. An actual light rail system with long trains barely works for stadium crowds, let alone a 20mph tram system with single unit trams.

Any sort of rail out to the east should be full blown light rail running in a dedicated right of way along the I-70 corridor. Something that would not only move WAY more people MUCH faster to and from large venues like the stadiums, but something that could also be used by commuters and other transit users for longer trips.

Yes it would be expensive. But it's really the only real rail option. The cost of running streetcars clear out to the stadiums would be crazy high for what you get out of it and it would not function at all for something like the World Cup or even a Royals game.

And commuter rail won't work either. Same problems. It's for a small amount of distant park and ride commuters, not stadium events.

If you are not going to build an actual light rail system, then don't build anything at all and wing special events with buses.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

1. I agree that real light rail is needed
2. My comment was just saying there needs to be transit or something in place for all of the other trips people will be making outside of the haul to and from the game
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

NBC just posted their list of host city rankings 2 hours ago.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2021/07/18 ... -stadiums/

They have 11 cities going to the US now. I think it's overkill that 4 cities in the northeast (NY, Boston, DC, Philly) would have 4 host cities while they leave out the entire center of the country between Denver and DC. That's just a ton of area left empty. It just seems so dumb to leave the entire middle empty like that while picking *11* cities. Boston and Philly's stadium also aren't even close to their city's core.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Sellout crowd today at Children's Mercy Park for the USMNT game!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:20 pm Sellout crowd today at Children's Mercy Park for the USMNT game!
Teams at Loews
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Logistically it makes sense to have games in the Bay Area, Dallas and Denver to link up the west coast and midwest respectively,

The likes of Baltimore, Cincinnati and Nashville seem like outsiders and even Orlando can be put in that category as Miami will likely get the nod in Florida.

So that leaves Houston, Nashville and Kansas City as the three cities who could be interchangeable with Denver, Philadelphia and Boston, depending on how their site visits shake out. It seems like Philly could be the big winner from Montreal dropping out, while we shouldn’t rule out that Houston can host games indoors at NRG Stadium (which is huge in the summer months) and the Texas city has grown massively as a soccer city in recent years.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:42 pm

Logistically it makes sense to have games in the Bay Area, Dallas and Denver to link up the west coast and midwest respectively,

The likes of Baltimore, Cincinnati and Nashville seem like outsiders and even Orlando can be put in that category as Miami will likely get the nod in Florida.

So that leaves Houston, Nashville and Kansas City as the three cities who could be interchangeable with Denver, Philadelphia and Boston, depending on how their site visits shake out. It seems like Philly could be the big winner from Montreal dropping out, while we shouldn’t rule out that Houston can host games indoors at NRG Stadium (which is huge in the summer months) and the Texas city has grown massively as a soccer city in recent years.
First of all he mentions Nashville twice, both in the "definitely not getting a game" group and then in the next paragraph as "interchangeable" group. But yeah I think we all know Dallas and Denver aren't Midwest and don't link any cities hardly. They both deserve games but not for being the "Midwest replacements". So unless they want to leave out an entire region of the country just so the northeast can float a 4th team...

Just my opinion here, but I actually do think if FIFA snubbed the entire Midwest region from a single host, it would weaken it's USA TV audience a bit (or more) from doing that from losing some viewers in the Midwest. That region is one of the biggest in watching sports. It probably would motivate casual's a bit more to watch if a city in their region was hosting games.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

KC punches above our weight in a lot of categories of the report I remember seeing posted here, especially considering we have one of the smallest meto populations of the contenders, We have seen that Kansas City can handle large conventions downtown but the fact that our major hotels are so spread out across the city combined with Arrowhead is also far from the urban core could make it a logistical challenge for this event. There is going to be a lot of busses required to make it work and definitely potential for inconvenience and confusion for guests trying to get from place to place.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

hotels and transportation are our 2 main weaknesses
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Better get that 4 Light hotel done by summer 2026 then!

Meanwhile the Boston stadium is in Foxborough nowhere even close to Boston…
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:42 pm NBC just posted their list of host city rankings 2 hours ago.

They have 11 cities going to the US now. I think it's overkill that 4 cities in the northeast (NY, Boston, DC, Philly) would have 4 host cities while they leave out the entire center of the country between Denver and DC. That's just a ton of area left empty. It just seems so dumb to leave the entire middle empty like that while picking *11* cities. Boston and Philly's stadium also aren't even close to their city's core.
Washington DC's stadium is trash and a mile or more from a metro stop with little parking and massive congestion on the highways to try to use buses. The only reason they would choose Washington is for political reasons. But I would still skip DC. Baltimore would be a better choice than Fed Ex.

Philly's stadium is basically the Truman Sports Complex a little closer to the city, but it has a transit line nearby. So I think it's a good choice.

Foxborough is in the middle of nowhere. Seems like a dumb choice.

They are going to go to NY/NJ no matter what even though getting people and from that stadium will be a logistical nightmare.

So get rid of DC and Boston and add Nashville or Houston and KC.

Biggest problem with KC is not transit to the stadium. It's hotels. KC lacks a lot of large high quality hotels even compared to cities like Nashville and Denver.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I am really getting sold on the idea of a hotel tower in Power & Light.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

What about an “Olympic village” that gets converted into mixed income housing after the WC. Could be in the CMH Crossroads lots, Northloop, or East Village.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If you assume North loop is done by summer 2026?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:22 pm If you assume North loop is done by summer 2026?
The parking lot sea not the highway, sorry
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:53 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:22 pm If you assume North loop is done by summer 2026?
The parking lot sea not the highway, sorry
Sounds good with me, and I would think it would put alot of pressure to get that loop removed. I wonder if MoDot starts paying more attention to us and our potential in general if we get the World Cup
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:46 pm What about an “Olympic village” that gets converted into mixed income housing after the WC. Could be in the CMH Crossroads lots, Northloop, or East Village.
The city would like to speak with your bank please. 😂

Kc, if we win, will host just a few group games. We’ll get dropped after the group stage. Teams rent out practice facilities and hotels wayyyy in advance. We’re guaranteed to get a few teams here no matter what because we have excellent training facilities.

Kc is normally a television live spot too because they love power and light shots.

We really need a 5 star hotel and a few more hotel brands. Remember a lot of apartments are set up to do temporary Airbnb style stuff. There’s no reason to build specific to a few games. Maybe a hostel that converts to something after but how that works is above my pay grade
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

By village I mean an apartment building