Mizzou News

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Mizzou News

Post by AllThingsKC »

I don't mean this to be an "in your face" kind of thread. I know we're not all Mizzou fans. But, I thought some of you might like to follow the process a major university must go through to re-invent itself. Starting today, Mizzou is undergoing a major re-branding effort. They are changing everything to make everything new for the SEC.

Some of the bigger changes include:

1. Putting the emphasis on "Mizzou," rather than "Missouri." They are pushing the "Mizzou" name now. The football field, basketball court, etc will no longer say "Missouri." They will say "Mizzou."

2. Changing the main logo from the "block M" to the "tiger head oval." I guess too many people were getting Missouri and Michigan confused, as both use the "M" logos.

3. Changing the uniforms, helmets, etc.

4. Changing the logo colors (slightly), and changing the traditional font. - The new font is already on mutigers.com

5. A new ad campaign. I'm not sure what all that includes yet.

As we get to see the sports teams play in the upcoming seasons, it will be interesting to see if Mizzou's new look and rebranding efforts were successful.
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Fri May 09, 2014 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Mizzou Rebranding

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:I don't mean this to be an "in your face" kind of thread. I know we're not all Mizzou fans. But, I thought some of you might like to follow the process a major university must go through to re-invent itself. Starting today, Mizzou is undergoing a major re-branding effort. They are changing everything to make everything new for the SEC.

Some of the bigger changes include:

1. Putting the emphasis on "Mizzou," rather than "Missouri." They are pushing the "Mizzou" name now. The football field, basketball court, etc will no longer say "Missouri." They will say "Mizzou."

2. Changing the main logo from the "block M" to the "tiger head oval." I guess too many people were getting Missouri and Michigan confused, as both use the "M" logos.

3. Changing the uniforms, helmets, etc.

4. Changing the logo colors (slightly), and changing the traditional font. - The new font is already on mutigers.com

5. A new ad campaign. I'm not sure what all that includes yet.

As we get to see the sports teams play in the upcoming seasons, it will be interesting to see if Mizzou's new look and rebranding efforts were successful.
Need to get that confederate flag somewhere into the program in order to fit in though.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

pash wrote:Better/worse than Trajan?
Trajan is awful, especially on the football unis. I hate that it's the typeface I have to see when I look at that one photo of Mario Chalmers... you know the one. :D
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

pash wrote:Better/worse than Trajan?
Worse by half (though I hate that typeface, too).

The Tiger on the helmet is all well and good, though. I don't think the block M had much style. Plus, it could always be worse, you could live in Oregon and have to watch your team hit the field in whatever new overreaction to the pervasive dank, dreary weather that Nike regurgitates and the university whores itself to.

Generally I don't like the "rebranding" (I don't even like the word "rebranding" or "branding" for that matter, mush less the loathesome marketting-speak concepts those words actually are supposed to represent) of colleges away from their state-names, which I see as an unsubtle attempt of the university marketting douchebags to downplay schools' associations with states that have reputations for being backwards and boring. Seems cowardly and shamefaced to me.

Mizzou is a nickname (and a stupid one, at that). That's all well and good for chants and t-shirts and caps, but the school's "branding" should be a place, not a nickname. Mizzou is not a place. Missouri is, and a quite nice one, and that's what it should say on the state's flagship school.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

[/quote] Need to get that confederate flag somewhere into the program in order to fit in though.[/quote]

At least Missouri didn't name their sports team after a gang of terrorists and theives.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

knucklehead wrote:
Need to get that confederate flag somewhere into the program in order to fit in though.[/quote]

At least Missouri didn't name their sports team after a gang of terrorists and theives.[/quote]

Absolutely. The comment is only about the SEC, not Mizzou. We'll be seeing a lot of the confederate flag, not necassarily in Columbia (Mo), but at football and basketball games, on the avatars of fans on sports forums, etc... in the coming years. The University of Mississippi chose as their mascot the biggest gang of terrorists and theives known in American history.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Schools do this rebranding all the time. I think the focus on "Mizzou" over the actual state name is stupid. Like the Jersey changes
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

knucklehead wrote: At least Missouri didn't name their sports team after a gang of terrorists and theives.
Unfortunately (for your rhetoric) the history of the term "Jayhawk" and its referent is a bit more complicated than "a gang of terrorist and thieves". Fortunately, most thinking people with any knowledge of civil war history know that.

That's about as silly as saying, "at least the city of Lawrence isn't named after a genocidal rapist."

None of which has fuck all to do with MU's new logos and uniforms, which is what this was about, I thought...
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Sorry, I took the post about the confederate flag to be KU smack talk. I see now that it wasn't.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Most of the re-branding efforts came way before any of the SEC talk. At this time last year, we knew Mizzou was going to have new uniforms for 2012, etc.

The team will still be the "Missouri Tigers," they are just putting more emphasis on "Mizzou." I think they want to sound "cool" and show they have a nickname. Much like LSU, Ole Miss, Vandy, Bama, A&M/ATM, Penn State, Cal, UConn, UMass, K-State, tOSU, Wazzu, and KU are all nicknames. In most of those cases, they're also brand names to one extent or the other. Mizzou is just putting more emphasis on their nickname because they believe it help the university in the long run. Only time will tell if they were right or not.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Can Faurot be expanded at all?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote:Can Faurot be expanded at all?
I think it can be expanded, yes. But, I don't know why they'd want just yet. The demand for expansion isn't really there yet.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Mizzou's new basketball court look was released yesterday.

I like the Tiger stripes in the base line.

Old:

New:
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Not much wow factor, and again, I really dislike how they are downplaying the state -- in this case by killing the MO state outline, which I love.

But I guess it could be worse...like if the Tiger was obscenely big and took up 25% of the court.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This is pure jealousy talking, but the SEC logo looks hilariously stupid.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chingon wrote:But I guess it could be worse...like if the Tiger was obscenely big and took up 25% of the court.
That's one thing I hate about KU's court.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

kcmetro wrote:
chingon wrote:But I guess it could be worse...like if the Tiger was obscenely big and took up 25% of the court.
That's one thing I hate about KU's court.
It's hideous. The only thing I have ever seen that trumps it for tackiness is Oregon's.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'm probably in the minority here, but I have always liked the over-sized Jayhawk on KU's court. I can tell the game is in Kansas no matter what part of the court is being shown on TV. No matter what part of the court the players are, at least part of the Jayhawk is visible on TV.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.