GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2012 CHIEFS!

Post by mean »

The offensive starters looked like playoff winners against Arizona. They looked pretty good against Green Bay, but they took Cassel out after one lonely completion. I don't think it's nearly as bad as the preseason indicated. It could end up being that way, but I'm not ready to jump off the bandwagon yet. HAPPY THOUGHTS HAPPY THOUGHTS HAPPY THOUGHTS!

If they're 0-6 after six games, I will change my tune.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

It's RED FRIDAY!!!

Here's a map of all the places doing something special for Red Friday (including buildings that will be lit up in CHIEFS colors tonight): https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=20 ... 26,2.90863
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Thoughts?

Predictions on when the Chiefs get that first win?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think the first half looked really good. The second half was a joke. I predict the Chiefs recover, learn from their terrible second half, and beat the Bills.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AllThingsKC wrote:Thoughts?

Predictions on when the Chiefs get that first win?

Just 15 games more to go for a perfect season.
To paraphrase Jessica Rabbit "I'm not bad. I'm just playing that way."
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Is it time for Hunt to clean house?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Is it time for Hunt to clean house?
No point now. With @NO, SD, Baltimore, @Tampa coming up, 1-5 or 0-6 are possiblities. The playoffs are not. Might as well wait until January to fire everyone.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

mean wrote: If they're 0-6 after six games, I will change my tune.
They are one-third of the way to 0-6. Are you thinking one-third less happy thoughts or do you expect a nice bounce back at some point?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

AllThingsKC wrote:
They are one-third of the way to 0-6. Are you thinking one-third less happy thoughts or do you expect a nice bounce back at some point?
They are clearly having problems, but I think there is a little too much "the sky is falling" with this team. Last year's team was embarrassed even worse in the two opening games and ended up 7-9. I'm not saying that we will get to 4-3 like we did last year, but I do not believe that we will ultimately be as bad as we have looked the last few weeks. We can point to the schedule and say how tough it is, but all of those teams are capable of having a year like the 2011 Eagles. Our defense buckled down late last year, and I fully expect them to do it again.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:
They are clearly having problems, but I think there is a little too much "the sky is falling" with this team. Last year's team was embarrassed even worse in the two opening games and ended up 7-9. I'm not saying that we will get to 4-3 like we did last year, but I do not believe that we will ultimately be as bad as we have looked the last few weeks. We can point to the schedule and say how tough it is, but all of those teams are capable of having a year like the 2011 Eagles. Our defense buckled down late last year, and I fully expect them to do it again.
But once again we get out of the gate slow with a terrible preseason and awful first two games. Isn't it time to fire Todd Haley?????? &&
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

bobbyhawks wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:
7-9 is most definitely a "sky is falling" scenario. We were supposed to quite good this year, playoff caliber. We were supposed to contend for the Division.

The sky is falling all around this franchise.

In fact, I would much rather go 0-16 than 7-9, so as to give ourselves a fantastic opportunity at a real franchise QB. Cassel is horrible.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KC-wildcat wrote:In fact, I would much rather go 0-16 than 7-9, so as to give ourselves a fantastic opportunity at a real franchise QB. Cassel is horrible.
I will never understand this mentality. A "franchise" QB will not turn us around for another 2 or 3 years, and who among us thinks the Chiefs will be willing to spend money on quality complementary personnel then, when Bowe will be gone, Charles will be too old, and Moeaki will be our best veteran offensive weapon? I don't buy that picking 1st or 2nd gives you any more certainty in a pick than does picking 12th. There are still good QBs available in most years at that slot, but selling out for a franchise QB does not mean everything. Most teams have drafted in the first round until they found someone decent. I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but losing to get a guy who is slightly better may be a bad idea for the sake of your franchise. Around 12 of the last 26 QBs to start in a Superbowl have been free-agents or traded players. Factor in Tom Brady, and 17 out of 26 were not first rounders (65%). Of the 5 QBs in the last 13 years to be drafted in the 1st round and play in the Superbowl, the average draft position was #7.

Cassel being blamed for everything also makes little sense to me. He is not a Manning or Brady, but he is nowhere near bad enough to freaking boo halfway through the first game of the season. Our play calling has been bad this year; our receivers have been dropping passes and running lazy routes; our line has been inconsistent providing a pocket; and yes Cassel has made bad plays. All of this has happened, yet everyone thinks he is the sole reason for our offensive struggles. I bet that if you gave every QB in the league the same exact weapons and line, Cassel would be average or slightly above average when compared to all other starters. Maybe if we supported our QB, you know instead of booing him at a softball game, he wouldn't try to do too much. 7-9 in the NFL means you are a few players away from 11+ wins, and a few players away from 4 or fewer wins. This to me is more of an indictment against our ownership that they aren't willing to spend money to get us those 11 wins, and against our GM who can't draft difference makers, than it is against our QB who is hurried out of the pocket on about 1 of every 2 plays. So, no, I'm not in a hurry to lose games so that Pioli can draft an overhyped SEC QB who ends up a flop. I'd rather see progress through the season than finger pointing and the woe is me blame game.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote:
I will never understand this mentality. A "franchise" QB will not turn us around for another 2 or 3 years, and who among us thinks the Chiefs will be willing to spend money on quality complementary personnel then, when Bowe will be gone, Charles will be too old, and Moeaki will be our best veteran offensive weapon? .
If you don't think this franchise will spend money in 2-3 years, we're screwed either way. I've been a Cassel apologist, but he's not winning a Super Bowl.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Weirdly, the fact that this is year 4 of people arguing that we can't decide if Cassel's performance is because of mitigating factors like poor playcalling, bad offensive line play, and a lack of good targets, means that Bobbyhawks is right. If ownership/GM can't put together a good enough team in that amount of time that we can come to a conclusion on Cassel means that it's time for everyone from Pioli on down to go.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

AllThingsKC wrote:
The Saints are also one-third of the way to 0-6, yet everyone here is just convinced that they're going to steamroll the Chiefs.

I wouldn't say I expect a nice bounce back. I don't expect anything. I think a nice bounce back is a possibility. Again, I just don't think the team is as bad as they've looked. I'm not as optimistic about the Saints game as I (wrongly) was the Bills game, but I do think they have a fighting chance against New Orleans IF they play to their potential. That's the thing. The talent is there, especially on defense. There is no reason this team shouldn't be able to beat any other team based solely on talent. But they have to get their shit together or it will never happen. I blame RAC first and foremost. "Oh, he's a players coach, everybody loves him!" Yeah, well, it's time to stop the lovefest and bust some balls and get these guys ready to play or this season is done.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
I will never understand this mentality. A "franchise" QB will not turn us around for another 2 or 3 years, and who among us thinks the Chiefs will be willing to spend money on quality complementary personnel then, when Bowe will be gone, Charles will be too old, and Moeaki will be our best veteran offensive weapon? .
If you don't think this franchise will spend money in 2-3 years, we're screwed either way. I've been a Cassel apologist, but he's not winning a Super Bowl.
You're right. I don't see why people are taking it out on the QB, though. This is a whole team, whole franchise problem. Its not like we're throwing Jeff Francoeur out there with a guy who is raking behind him in the minors. This is a QB who has 280 yards/game this year and 59% completion while he is asked to throw on mostly 2nd and 3rd and long. He has been sacked more this year per pass attempt than at any time in his career as a starter. He is on pace to be sacked 64 times this year (24 more times than year one with the Chiefs). He has the highest yards gained per pass attempt he has had (tied with his two 10-5 season). He also has his highest interception ratio ever as a consistent starter, which to me says he feels he has to constantly force the issue. We have put so much of the weight of our team on the shoulders of an average QB. This is bad coaching and play calling. There have been dozens of teams over the last few years who have had more success with much worse talent and decision making at QB. We are still in a transition for the coaches, so I'm not calling for anyone's head, but I do find it irritating when people call out Cassel without first mentioning all of the other things that have been going wrong. This is two games to start the season of the NFL. I don't think we should try to declare the season a loss so quickly. That attitude spreads like a virus.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote:In fact, I would much rather go 0-16 than 7-9, so as to give ourselves a fantastic opportunity at a real franchise QB. Cassel is horrible.
I will never understand this mentality. A "franchise" QB will not turn us around for another 2 or 3 years, and who among us thinks the Chiefs will be willing to spend money on quality complementary personnel then...
Would you rather be the Chiefs or the Colts/Redskins right now?

If we're not going to the playoffs and winning playoff games, I couldn't give two shits if we go 5-11 or 6-10 or 0-16, if it meant we would finally do something to make this franchise better.

Yeah, a franchise QB matters and it's high fucking time the Chiefs organization drafts one. These guys that are coming into the league are competing NOW. The 2 or 3 year development period doesn't exist any longer. Cam Newton, RG3, Luck are all competing now. And even it did take a couple years, at least there would be some hope and optimism for the future.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Onion: Chiefs Realize Brady Quinn Received 'Frog And Toad Are Friends' Instead Of Playbook
"Brady kept talking about how he spent hours each night poring over the book and memorizing the diagrams in it," Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel said of the Caldecott Honor book, which is designated level two in the "I Can Read" series and is intended for "readers who are increasingly confident, but still need some help." "It wasn't until he started telling little stories in the huddle about coat buttons and ponds that we realized something was up. He does seem to have learned some important lessons about friendship from the book.