Big 12 Tournament

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Big 12 Tournament

Post by KCPowercat »

Why font other KU fans call out metro for his obviously idiotic comments. Its like he is almost just playing a character of a KU fan full of snobbery and cluelessness. Our players don't dance. Our fans don't make stupid rap songs. You look foolish.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i can also say that, when KU came back from behind to beat MU at home a few weeks ago, the KU fans i was around were absolutely ecstatic, like they just won the fuckin' national title. i don't begrudge them that--it was a key victory after a hard-fought game at AFH--but to suggest that KU players and fans stoically accept winning big games due to KU's legacy of bball success is just laughable.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Highlander wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote: the Davidson bad loss.
The people who make the tourney assignment don't seem to think Davidson is that bad...
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote:Why font other KU fans call out metro for his obviously idiotic comments. Its like he is almost just playing a character of a KU fan full of snobbery and cluelessness. Our players don't dance. Our fans don't make stupid rap songs. You look foolish.
I just did.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chingon wrote:
Highlander wrote:
The people who make the tourney assignment don't seem to think Davidson is that bad...
Davidson won their tournament and are automatic. It wouldn't have been a bad loss had it been anywhere but the Sprint Center (or AFH). I think 1 seeds are expected to win against mid majors when they have that much of a home court advantage.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chingon wrote:
Highlander wrote:
They did beat KU. So there is that.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chrizow wrote:i can also say that, when KU came back from behind to beat MU at home a few weeks ago, the KU fans i was around were absolutely ecstatic, like they just won the fuckin' national titlel. i don't begrudge them that--it was a key victory after a hard-fought game at AFH--but to suggest that KU players and fans stoically accept winning big games due to KU's legacy of bball success is just laughable.
I'm not saying we don't get excited about big victories. I was beyond thrilled when we beat MU this year, because MU is actually good this year. And it was a great comeback and probably the best KU/MU game in history. But it is true that you do get a bit accustomed to seeing your team win, so a tournament title or conference title aren't as big of a deal as they are to Mizzou fans. I mean when you win the conference title 17 out of the past 22 years...well, you get the point.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Powercat, I understand what you're saying about Kim. But I think it was more along the lines of having fun.

KSU fans chanted SEC at Mizzou fans.
Baylor fans chanted SEC at Mizzou fans.
Mizzou fans chanted SEC at Sprint.

In all cases, it just the fans/players having some fun. I wouldn't read too much into those cases or the Kim English picture. To me, it just fun smack talk that all fanbases do.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

They'll both be #2 seeds and be pretty happy. KU has been a borderline 1 since beating MU, but would have had to win the tourney to clinch. As for MU, 1 seeds don't finish second in the regular season. Their only shot was for KU to make the final, then beat them, and all the other contenders lose in their tourneys.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

They did beat KU. So there is that.
Yeah. They did. They are a strong mid major program. They knocked off a 12th ranked national powerhouse team in KC. They also have a 25-7 record, their RPI ranking is 65 and they are making their 5th NCAA tournament appearance in 10 years.

Now if KU had been ranked #2 and lost to a unranked team that went 15-18 with an RPI rating of 121 an didn't get a tournament bid, that would apparently be a different story.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote:
chrizow wrote:i can also say that, when KU came back from behind to beat MU at home a few weeks ago, the KU fans i was around were absolutely ecstatic, like they just won the fuckin' national titlel. i don't begrudge them that--it was a key victory after a hard-fought game at AFH--but to suggest that KU players and fans stoically accept winning big games due to KU's legacy of bball success is just laughable.
I'm not saying we don't get excited about big victories. I was beyond thrilled when we beat MU this year, because MU is actually good this year. And it was a great comeback and probably the best KU/MU game in history. But it is true that you do get a bit accustomed to seeing your team win, so a tournament title or conference title aren't as big of a deal as they are to Mizzou fans. I mean when you win the conference title 17 out of the past 22 years...well, you get the point.
Obvisouly you are right because you clearly don't know how to take a loss with the thinly veiled and backhanded attempts to belittle Mizzou's accomplishment and season. To be honest, I've heard the same from many KU fans through the years and I don't believe a word of it - it may sound good in theory but it hardly has been the case in practice.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chrizow wrote:i can also say that, when KU came back from behind to beat MU at home a few weeks ago, the KU fans i was around were absolutely ecstatic, like they just won the fuckin' national title. i don't begrudge them that--it was a key victory after a hard-fought game at AFH--but to suggest that KU players and fans stoically accept winning big games due to KU's legacy of bball success is just laughable.
I, for one, acted like a damn fool. I was in a room of Mizzou fans, and had endured their displays a month before.

I will say, however -- and this is an undeniable result of the power differential -- that while KU loves to beat MU (and especially loves not losing to MU at Allen the last time they ever play there), that MU aways measures itself against KU. In basketball. In the hearts of a lot of fans, and apparently Kim English (given the fact that his first post-game comments were basically directed at Bill Self and KU fans) they are really always playing against KU, even when they're playing Baylor for the tourney title. That's why the SEC chant is the Mizzou go-to celebration for a b12 tournament win. Not because Mizzou fans gave 2 shits about the SEC before November, or because its a better conference for their athletic programs or anything like that, but rather, because they feel like they get permanent bragging rights over KU, bragging rights that KU can't take away next season.

KU fans want the Jayhawks to win. A lot of MU fans (and some players) just want to beat KU by proxy.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chingon wrote:
chrizow wrote:i That's why the SEC chant is the Mizzou go-to celebration for a b12 tournament win. Not because Mizzou fans gave 2 shits about the SEC before November, or because its a better conference for their athletic programs or anything like that, but rather, because they feel like they get permanent bragging rights over KU, bragging rights that KU can't take away next season.

When KU plays they play to win. MU plays to beat KU by proxy.
I'm a Mizzou fan, but I am practical, and I while don't think that all of this is necessarily true, I have to agree with the SEC stuff. Mizzou started this re-alignment crap just after they felt they got screwed (which they did) with the KU Orange Bowl bid and they've never been able to let it go - fans and administration both. Getting screwed with the benefactor being ISU, Colorado or Nebraska would have been far more palatable to Mizzou fans/admin than having KU get the invitation. There's also a St Louis vs KC dynamic with the SEC with most KC fans wanting to stay in the Big XII while most St Louis fans wanting to go elsewhere and establish rivals in Illinois or even Arkansas. bleh. I don't think these folks realize the extreme redneck nature of the SEC fanbase and what they are getting themselves into.

Having said that, had the situation last night been reversed, KU would have been playing to beat Missouri by proxy also. KU's psyche is deeply involved in just about everything Mizzou basketball does.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote:That kim English pic is disappointing. He is typically a good guy and I know he is just a kid caught up in the moment but he usually acts respectful. That pic was more along the lines of what MU fans get stereotyped as.
In defense of English, there was a pretty tense atmosphere created around remarks by Nienas, Self and others regarding the Big XII and KC's place in that conference. Self said KCMO was KU and KSU country which was a bit of challenge to Mizzou with it's KC heavy roster. I hate the SEC, always have, always will, but English was just reacting all the positioning that had gone on in the days in advance of the tourney and during the tourney. As an MU fan but SEC detractor, I am conflicted in how I want this to play out. I want Mizzou to do well but very much want the tourney to stay in KC and to do that, KC needs to be a Big XII town to some extent, but I hope the best players out of the area continue to choose Mizzou. The SEC will never show KC any love and it's never going to be an SEC city but it can continue to support the Tigers.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

chingon wrote: KU fans want the Jayhawks to win. A lot of MU fans (and some players) just want to beat KU by proxy.
No matter how many times you, Bill Self, metro, and other Kansas fans make ridiculous claims like this, or that KC is a KU town, it doesn't make it any less stupid.

Enjoy your future playing games in places like Waco, Lubbock, and the Appalachians. The Big 12, like the SEC, isn't a midwestern conference, and hasn't been for years. At least Kansas City can look forward to following its state's flaghsip university competing in the country's wealthiest sports conference, and one with a higher academic standing than the downward-spiraling Big 12.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What concrete facts can you point to that shows KC is more of a MU city? Everything I have seen from ticket sales, etc shows KC is. KU city first followed by a mixture of MU and KSU fairly equal. This is due to many factors including KU proximity to KC and their success in basketball which captures the bandwagoners.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

You're citing ticket sales at KC events to back your claim that This is a KU town? You apparently place no value on the number of tickets sold for football games at Arrowhead, and have overlooked the fact that attendance for the last game at Sprint drew more fans than any game in which Kansas played.

What further proof do you need?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Mu ticket sales at arrowhead is a fair point. What was the attendance announced for that game? 50k? The saturday game attendance is not a factor given all tickets were already sold. If UT and Baylor were in the finals that attendance would have been exactly the same number.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

OKC sees the opportunity to sieze the tournament. The article in the OKC paper even gives KC the credit for doing it better (not the women's, just the men) and a surprising number of posters even prefer to keep it in KC.

OKC is the geographic center of the Big XII now but it's just not a good venue - as in who the hell wants to go there - and the anywhere in Texas isn't any better.

http://newsok.com/what-will-happen-to-t ... le/3656724
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:That kim English pic is disappointing. He is typically a good guy and I know he is just a kid caught up in the moment but he usually acts respectful. That pic was more along the lines of what MU fans get stereotyped as.
In defense of English, there was a pretty tense atmosphere created around remarks by Nienas, Self and others regarding the Big XII and KC's place in that conference. Self said KCMO was KU and KSU country which was a bit of challenge to Mizzou with it's KC heavy roster. I hate the SEC, always have, always will, but English was just reacting all the positioning that had gone on in the days in advance of the tourney and during the tourney. As an MU fan but SEC detractor, I am conflicted in how I want this to play out. I want Mizzou to do well but very much want the tourney to stay in KC and to do that, KC needs to be a Big XII town to some extent, but I hope the best players out of the area continue to choose Mizzou. The SEC will never show KC any love and it's never going to be an SEC city but it can continue to support the Tigers.
I'm not sure that is defending that picture. Tense atmosphere or not, you are proud of winning a trophy of a conference you are disrespecting. Doesn't make any sense. I'd be fine with the picture in front of Sprint w/o the shirt. Seemed unnecessary. Heck wear a KCMO shirt if Self's comments are what bothered hi.