2010 Chiefs

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2010 Chiefs

Post by KCMax »

Chiefs sign WR Kevin Curtis formerly of the Eagles and Rams. CB Donald Washington to IR.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Kansas City is an interesting sports town. 

The Chiefs have a home playoff game in 3 days (for the first time in ages) and the game isn't even a sellout.  And this thread has been pertty much dead since the Oakland game. 

Yet, the Royals thread is consistently on fire with people talking about how shitty the Royals are (for good reason).

It seems like people would much rather talk about negative things than positive things.  I see this in development threads as well.  For whatever reason, I feel like this weird mentality is unique to Kansas City. 
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KC-wildcat wrote: Kansas City is an interesting sports town. 

The Chiefs have a home playoff game in 3 days (for the first time in ages) and the game isn't even a sellout.  And this thread has been pertty much dead since the Oakland game. 

Yet, the Royals thread is consistently on fire with people talking about how shitty the Royals are (for good reason).

It seems like people would much rather talk about negative things than positive things.  I see this in development threads as well.  For whatever reason, I feel like this weird mentality is unique to Kansas City.   
Wasn't there a whole thread a few months ago devoted to the idea that we always qualify things as "pretty good, for Kansas City", etc. I thought the self-defeating attitude was part of charm, hehe.  :)
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC-wildcat wrote: Kansas City is an interesting sports town.  

The Chiefs have a home playoff game in 3 days (for the first time in ages) and the game isn't even a sellout.  And this thread has been pertty much dead since the Oakland game.  

It seems like people would much rather talk about negative things than positive things.  I see this in development threads as well.  For whatever reason, I feel like this weird mentality is unique to Kansas City.  
I used to think KC was an NFL town.  Not so much anymore.  Not after living among the NFL CRAZY northeast.  You can't set foot in any stadium out here for less than $200 and tickets are still very difficult to come across for any game, no matter the record of the team.

Baltimore is going nuts over this game in KC and when the entire country sees the empty seats for a playoff game, KC's image as a football town will be forever tarnished.

BTW, nobody out here even remotely thinks the chiefs have a chance, so it might be an easy upset game as Baltimore is already looking at the next game.

I have always wondered if KC is too much of a college town (college sports out here are way down on the totem pole of popularity).  

But I'm disappointed in the attendance at arrowhead this year.  The stadium looks noticeably bad on tv.  Look Seattle right now.  They are loud and there is not an empty seat in the stadium.

Come on KC, step up and support your teams or you will never get NHL or NBA.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Holy crap, the team is charging $300 per club level ticket? No wonder that section has been empty!!!!

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCMax wrote: Holy crap, the team is charging $300 per club level ticket? No wonder that section has been empty!!!!
Welcome to the big leagues.  If KC's corporate community is not big enough or wealthy enough to pick up more of those higher priced seats, KC will struggle to keep competitive in the NFL, much like MLB.

And again, NHL or NBA?  Forget it.  You gotta be able to sell the higher end tickets too and every team has them.

But I'm sure Sprint and Cerner have dozens of season tickets to the tbones and nascar!

Seriously, I think the problem is KC's corporate community is just not up to par right now.  The chiefs may have to just fill the entire stadium with the blue collar fan from Blue Springs at $50 a pop.  It would look better on tv at least.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

GRID wrote: I used to think KC was an NFL town.  Not so much anymore.  Not after living among the NFL CRAZY northeast.  You can't set foot in any stadium out here for less than $200 and tickets are still very difficult to come across for any game, no matter the record of the team.

Baltimore is going nuts over this game in KC and when the entire country sees the empty seats for a playoff game, KC's image as a football town will be forever tarnished.

BTW, nobody out here even remotely thinks the chiefs have a chance, so it might be an easy upset game as Baltimore is already looking at the next game.

I have always wondered if KC is too much of a college town (college sports out here are way down on the totem pole of popularity).  

But I'm disappointed in the attendance at arrowhead this year.  The stadium looks noticeably bad on tv.  Look Seattle right now.  They are loud and there is not an empty seat in the stadium.

Come on KC, step up and support your teams or you will never get NHL or NBA.
You hear him KC!  Your image as a football town is perilously close to being forever tarnished.  But maybe he's saying that you shouldn't bother attending the game due to the fact there is absolutely no chance the Chiefs will win.  Quite the conundrum!  
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

voltopt wrote: You hear him KC!  Your image as a football town is perilously close to being forever tarnished.  But maybe he's saying that you shouldn't bother attending the game due to the fact there is absolutely no chance the Chiefs will win.  Quite the conundrum!  
I said balt isn't giving them a chance, I also said that it would be a perfect game for kc to WIN because balt is looking right past KC right now.

I was at the game against TN.  It wasn't just the high end seats that were empty.  Large sections of the upper deck and even groups of seats in the lower deck were empty.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Wow, it would be super embarrassing not to sell out a playoff game!

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/colts_ ... ff-tickets

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I would certainly like to go to the game, but those club seats are retarded expensive. $300!? I've sat on the CL before for a hell of a lot less than that within the last 4-5 years. I think it was 2006.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote: I would certainly like to go to the game, but those club seats are retarded expensive. $300!? I've sat on the CL before for a hell of a lot less than that within the last 4-5 years. I think it was 2006.
On stubhub, there are upper level tickets going for less than $50.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm afraid I might blow out a knee trying to get up to row 39.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The Sir Edmund Hillary commemorative seats. :P
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

GRID wrote: You can't set foot in any stadium out here for less than $200 and tickets are still very difficult to come across for any game, no matter the record of the team.
I have never been to the Northeast, so it is very possible I am wrong.  But just from this season alone, I have seen empty seats in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, New York, the other New York, and Buffalo.  The only place in the Northeast where I haven't seen any empty seats is New England.  But, they have years of winning football.  So, I have hard time believing that people in the Northeast are more passionate about their sports than people in the Midwest.  They seem to support winners and not support losers (and not fully support winners in some cases).  I don't see how that is unique to KC.  But then again, I have never been to the Northeast, so what do I know?  

As far as 7-9 Seattle selling out their stadium...how many of their game have you watched?  The place had tons of empty seats during the Chiefs/Seahawks game.   The stadium was only slightly fuller for Sunday Night Football against the Rams, with a chance to go into the playoffs.  So, if you say that's a sellout, perhaps the Chiefs just need more primetime games?  The Chiefs had no problems selling out Monday night.

GRID wrote: Baltimore is going nuts over this game in KC and when the entire country sees the empty seats for a playoff game, KC's image as a football town will be forever tarnished.
Really?  So, even if the Chiefs start selling out their games in the years to come, it won't matter because people will think KC isn't a football town based off of one game played in 2011?  

If the Chiefs had 3 straight winning seasons, I'd be concerned about their attendance.  But, at the start of season when most experts had the Chiefs going 8-8 or worse, who's going to start saving money in September to buy playoff tickets in January?  Not only that, but even in Week 16, many experts were STILL saying San Diego would win the division.  Now that the Chiefs have raised the bar for next season, perhaps more people will start saving for Chiefs tickets and buy them sooner.  Now, if the Chiefs win the division for 3 straight years and they are the only winning team not selling out their stadium, then I'd be worried.  But, that is not the case right now.

GRID wrote: I have always wondered if KC is too much of a college town (college sports out here are way down on the totem pole of popularity).  
That's because they have teams in every sport, KC does not.  Therefore, after Chiefs/Royals, the next cool thing is college sports.

I know you have been everywhere, GRID (and I have not).  And I know most major cities are cooler than KC.  But, I have a hard time believing that the fans in KC are so different from anywhere else (aside from college sports, but that should be understandable given the lack of winter sports teams in the area).  
KC is the way to be!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KC's average attendance this year was 67K.  That would be a legit (not just for tv purposes) sell out every game if they had seattle's stadium.  KC can have 10K empty seats and still have more people at the game than more than half of the leage.  KC had a middle of the pack attendance record (17th) this year, but had a bottom of the road % of stadium capacity filled (bottom 5) this year...ie stadium looks less full.  KC's stadium capacity is top 5 while KC's market size is bottom 5.  it is difficult to have "sellouts" every game in that situation, i would say for a team coming off a terrible several years the fans have had a great response.  This playoff game will be nuts.  Heard on radio from chiefs COO that they will most likely be releasing SRO tickets sometime this weekend.  Probably several thousand.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Don't fret on grid's sky is falling comments.....we aren't too much of a 'college town's and kc football image is fine (whatever that is) 

Empty NFL stadiums is a national issue that has been widely reported.  The nfl is a victim of its own success of producing games on tv. The economy. Etc. All kinds of issues at play here that aren't unique to just kc.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

AllThingsKC wrote: The only place in the Northeast where I haven't seen any empty seats is New England. But, they have years of winning football.  So, I have hard time believing that people in the Northeast are more passionate about their sports than people in the Midwest.  They seem to support winners and not support losers (and not fully support winners in some cases).  I don't see how that is unique to KC.  But then again, I have never been to the Northeast, so what do I know?  
Preface:  I think KC is a good sports town.

I grew up in New England near Boston in the 70s, 80s and 90s.  These were lean years for the Patriots.  The Red Sox were usually in the mix until the All Star break then imploded rarely making the playoffs.  I am unsure on the attendace of Patriots games during these years, I'm willing to bet it was comparable to the Chiefs currently with some modifiers for overall increase in NFL interest.  The Red Sox have always had very solid attendance.  (Keeping Celtics and Bruins out of the discussion since we have NFL and MLB here)

The difference I see is not the level of fan amongst the fans but the quantity of fans.  Well, I do feel that New England fans are far more intense about winning and KC is more placid with the allowing the "rebuilding" talk to go on without screaming for heads.  However about the quantity of fans per capita, this Sunday you could live in this city and be unaware that there was even a football game on.  If you were in New England next weekend it would seem that everyone in the entire region of New England not only knows about the game, but will be watching it.  And this was the case prior to the late 90s/early 00s when they re-found success.

Again, I think KC is a good sports town with lots of fans.  Personally, in the slice of KC I live in the focus is on college basketball.  NFL is nice, people like the Cheifs and want them to win but don't have the same passion for them as they do the Jayhawks.  I'm not a college sports fan in general, but I get the passion.

Go Chiefs - would love for them to meet NE along the way :)
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

let's also not forget that most teams in the northeast have at least 7-15 million fans to draw from within a couple of hours from every NFL stadium.  arrowhead at best pulls from a pool of about three million people.  given our larger stadium size, and a few years of shitty play, who is really surprised to see empty seats and people not snatching up $300 tickets to see them lose to baltimore?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote: let's also not forget that most teams in the northeast have at least 7-15 million fans to draw from within a couple of hours from every NFL stadium.  arrowhead at best pulls from a pool of about three million people.  given our larger stadium size, and a few years of shitty play, who is really surprised to see empty seats and people not snatching up $300 tickets to see them lose to beat baltimore?
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

(Audio NSFW, turn the volume down...)

And, my personal favorite:
KC is the way to be!