TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It’s no lie. Never in the history of realignment to Power-5 has a team ever moved because of basketball prowess. Shoot, if that we’re the case then you wouldn’t have seen UConn left to die like it’s been. Villanova…where are they? Still stuck in a mid-major conference.

Football is what sells these media deals.

Programs. You mention Cincy & Houston programs as essentially a flash in the pan. While ignoring that the BYU & UCF programs have been consistently good- and better than Texas in more than a decade now.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by AlkaliAxel »

AllThingsKC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:33 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am The Big 12 is gonna add these 4 schools when they vote on Friday and that'll be it.
I wonder if Texas and Oklahoma get a vote.
They will get a vote, but only 8 votes are required for passage so it won’t be an issue. From what I read, they aren’t inviting Texas & Okla to show up for the vote anyway. Lol.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:45 pm Lance Leipold was a consensus up and coming coach. The college football knowledge in this thread is putrid.
Every fan base says this with a brand new coach, including your last new HQ from Buffalo. How’d that work out for ya? Your program is putrid, will be for awhile.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:57 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:52 pm
Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:45 pm Lance Leipold was a consensus up and coming coach. The college football knowledge in this thread is putrid.
Every fan base says this with a brand new coach, including your last new HQ from Buffalo. How’d that work out for ya? Your program is putrid, will be for awhile.
1. This has nothing to do with KUs fan base this is what people are college football have said

2. I'm not a KU fan

3. You are a moron
I don't think he's a moron. This is like KU's 6th new coach in the last decade. I remember when they introduced Turner Gill and his "new management style" as the saving grace for the program.

The only ounce of data we have with Leipold is barely winning a game against an FCS school at home in Lawrence.
beermestrength
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by beermestrength »

Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:45 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:34 am
Goonies wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:19 pm ….has 1 of the most underrated football coaches.
Good lord!
The college football knowledge in this thread is putrid.
It's comedy gold :lol:
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:26 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:41 pm
Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:57 pm

1. This has nothing to do with KUs fan base this is what people are college football have said

2. I'm not a KU fan

3. You are a moron
I don't think he's a moron. This is like KU's 6th new coach in the last decade. I remember when they introduced Turner Gill and his "new management style" as the saving grace for the program.

The only ounce of data we have with Leipold is barely winning a game against an FCS school at home in Lawrence.
Then you are a casual fan who's clearly unfamiliar with his work at Buffalo and Wisconsin Whitewater
I honestly can't tell if it's just a troll. KU's had a coach from Buffalo who did amazing things there and completely flopped at KU. Given that circumstance that has already happened within the last 10 years, idk how you can blame people for not agreeing he's a "sure fire thing" essentially to turn KU football around.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:26 pm If you dont think Lepoild is a respected coach in CFB you are most definitely a casual.
Ok, what's his greatest win as a head coach. No answer means you're a joke.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:26 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:06 pm
Goonies wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:26 pm

Then you are a casual fan who's clearly unfamiliar with his work at Buffalo and Wisconsin Whitewater
I honestly can't tell if it's just a troll. KU's had a coach from Buffalo who did amazing things there and completely flopped at KU. Given that circumstance that has already happened within the last 10 years, idk how you can blame people for not agreeing he's a "sure fire thing" essentially to turn KU football around.
If you dont think Lepoild is a respected coach in CFB you are most definitely a casual.
I'm sure he is. So was Les Miles who actually won a national championship and ran a blue blood football program. KU has shown that with nay respected coach, including Weis, they'll still lose.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I mentioned earlier about how the departure of UT & OU makes this a very exciting time for KC in the Big 12 now because KC will become the de facto city now, and not have to split with Dallas. In other words, the new Big 12 is actually much more advantageous for KC than before. We have much more leveraged now. Gerend seems to be catching onto this as well:
https://twitter.com/tomgerend/status/14 ... 58437?s=21
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:12 pm I mentioned earlier about how the departure of UT & OU makes this a very exciting time for KC in the Big 12 now because KC will become the de facto city now, and not have to split with Dallas. In other words, the new Big 12 is actually much more advantageous for KC than before. We have much more leveraged now. Gerend seems to be catching onto this as well:
https://twitter.com/tomgerend/status/14 ... 58437?s=21
If we manage to get big 12 football final as well, the city would be in a damn solid position when it comes to hosting events. It would also help justify the amount of hotel rooms we have in the pipeline and have just gone online
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:52 pm If we manage to get big 12 football final as well, the city would be in a damn solid position when it comes to hosting events. It would also help justify the amount of hotel rooms we have in the pipeline and have just gone online
I could see us getting it on a rotating basis. I would imagine they might try to have it in Orlando at least once to drive interest. Lots of midwesterners would travel to see the game as a winter vacation.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:05 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:52 pm If we manage to get big 12 football final as well, the city would be in a damn solid position when it comes to hosting events. It would also help justify the amount of hotel rooms we have in the pipeline and have just gone online
I could see us getting it on a rotating basis. I would imagine they might try to have it in Orlando at least once to drive interest. Lots of midwesterners would travel to see the game as a winter vacation.
I think that's what will end up happening. Instead of being solely in Dallas, it might rotate between Arrowhead and AT&T now. Then throw in Camping World (Orlando) every few years as well.

The rumor before was that UT was strangling the Big 12 behind doors to put the game in Dallas permanently (because they thought they'd be playing in it every year, lol). We don't have to deal with that anymore.

I don't think they'd want to do Orlando too often because it's just such a hike to get to for most Big 12 teams- imagine if BYU was in that game, lol.

That's what Gerend's point was though- given how spread out the conference is getting, KC becomes an even more logical spot to host Big 12 events now. Which is great. Not to mention, Arrowhead is a great stadium.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Unanimous approval to add the 4 schools! This is great news for KC!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Oh? I was told the Big 12 was dead

Side note: from what I've been reading, I think people are starting to realize how beneficial this whole thing is for KC in the short term and long term.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Time to rename the thread eh? :lol:
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Probably fine yeah
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Now hold on...we had to freak out again after 10 years, so in 10 years again we might do the same! Gotta keep the name just in case. When West Virginia bails for the ACC we will be here again.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I like the idea of the B12 picking up BYU, Cincy, Central Florida and Houston. While losing two major flagship universities will hurt and there is no way these four can bring the national program and history in football (although BYU does have a national championship), they are solid football programs and 3 of the 4 have solid basketball programs. More importantly, KC remains more or less in the geographic center of the conference and would remain a great (perhaps optimal) location for the basketball tournament. Look to Houston and Orlando to want to cash in on a tourney or football championship from time to time (after all, a third of the teams in the conference would be from Texas and Orlando is always a draw for many people).

All that said, KU would still be better off headed to the Big 1G or ACC if they get an offer. That move would then put KC's legacy as a tourney host in jeopardy.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I'm happy the Big12 is going back to 12 and bringing in some good schools in good markets. Are they Texas & Oklahoma, no, but respectable football programs that have experienced sustained success, especially in the last 5-10 yrs. Also as mentioned some good basketball programs as well. Losing Texas hurts from a money standpoint, but honestly they were a huge pain in the ass and they can go take their money and attitude and try to piss off another conference. Difference being they will be low man on the totem pole and will get bounced if they get out of line. Losing OU hurts as they have the long history and have been able to maintain success for decades in football & hoops.

As far as KU to the Big 1G, that might be best but I do not see it happening. I'm a KU fan and right now no one wants them, even with the hoops being a blue blood. I think there is some wait and see happening. Plus Big 1G has 14 teams, and they would go to 16 if they expand. If it was me just wanting to do some "wishing on a star", I'd love to see a true "Big Mid-West" type of conference that define the entire region of major DIV I universities. Get rid of Maryland & Rutgers, and then add: Missouri, KU, K-State, and Iowa St. The losses of Maryland & Rutgers are not going to hurt and the teams you bring in are as good, if not better, and you bring in the regional brand that Maryland & Rutgers do not given their locations. They identify more as East Coast schools, and rightfully so. But having this mix of schools and complete dominance of an entire region would be great. It would be very much the same model the SEC has over the South as a region.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

^When the PAC-12, ACC, Big10 signed that alliance, it was over. That was the agreement basically saying we’re not gonna start a war over poaching Big 12 schools.

Big10 made their decision to go East, not west. They wanted the NY market instead of going into Great Plains.

That’s why I’ve been saying the future of the Big 12 is going to be just the biggest Great Plains & Mountain West schools combined. A couple schools will be outliers but this is the premise.