TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by kboish »

This is a pretty good idea. And college maybe the only way promotion-relegation works in the US.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by kboish »

Overall though, i agree college sports are fundamentally changing. Especially with paid athletes. The NCAA and conference structure is an anachronism.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Highlander wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:54 pm
The new transfer rule and DIL rules will change the collegiate sports world even more than realignment. The rich will only get richer and we will essentially be watching minor league professional sports where the fan base for each team will essentially have to put up the cash (to be funneled to players) to ensure their teams stay relevant.
True, so very true.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

This is getting very scary now. Rumors KU and ISU to Big Ten.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:43 pm This is getting very scary now. Rumors KU and ISU to Big Ten.
It's REALLY time for KC to move on from college basketball. Sure, the city has a great history of hosting major NCAA events, but there is not even a real team based in the city and KC no longer has the facilities to host Final Fours etc nor a conference that cares about the city.

KC really needs to get a pro team for the Downtown Arena. Would be so much better for the city.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:05 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:43 pm This is getting very scary now. Rumors KU and ISU to Big Ten.
It's REALLY time for KC to move on from college basketball. Sure, the city has a great history of hosting major NCAA events, but there is not even a real team based in the city and KC no longer has the facilities to host Final Fours etc nor a conference that cares about the city.

KC really needs to get a pro team for the Downtown Arena. Would be so much better for the city.
Obviously, an NBA franchise in TMobile arena would great but the city is still a great host for college basketball and the tournaments bring a lot of money into the P&L District (every $ in sales tax for the district is a $ that KC taxpayers are not on the hook for).

KC hosts NCAA tournament 1st week and regional finals on a fairly regular basis both of which are high profile events. And as long as the Big XII exists and KU is the premier basketball program in the conference, I suspect that their tournament will remain in KC. While it would be in KU's best interest to move on to the Big 1G if offered, a revamped Big XII with teams from Cincy, Provo, Houston and Memphis (or any number of other schools) would still make a great tournament in KC but that would require KU staying put.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:24 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:05 pm

Obviously, an NBA franchise in TMobile arena would great but the city is still a great host for college basketball and the tournaments bring a lot of money into the P&L District (every $ in sales tax for the district is a $ that KC taxpayers are not on the hook for).

KC hosts NCAA tournament 1st week and regional finals on a fairly regular basis both of which are high profile events. And as long as the Big XII exists and KU is the premier basketball program in the conference, I suspect that their tournament will remain in KC. While it would be in KU's best interest to move on to the Big 1G if offered, a revamped Big XII with teams from Cincy, Provo, Houston and Memphis (or any number of other schools) would still make a great tournament in KC but that would require KU staying put.
I'd love to see the Big 12 remain and add teams but it's not sounding good. Huge hit to the PNL District alone at over a million bucks.
Great to get a NBA team as well.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I don't think they're as close to leaving to Big 10 as you'd think. It was just some ex-coach on a radio show in Chicago who said he thinks KU and ISU will Big 10. I think Big 12 still has some time to figure it out.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

There are so many rumors swirling around, but KU to the B1G is my hope. The BIG12 is dead w/o TX and OU. Even if the BIG12 added schools like Memphis, Houston, SMU, Central Florida, it won't be a P5 conference. I just don't see how the BIG12 can be salvaged. No big name school like Arkansas, Nebraska or Colorado is going to leave a steady conference to join the BIG12 that has been ravaged by defectors the last ten years. The conference is done. KU won't stay. I think they are in the B1G, just nothing official has been announced yet. Both Iowa State and KU are AAU institutions which is extremely important to the B1G. K-State and probably Okl State will go to the PAC12. Not sure where TT, Baylor and TCU will land. SEC might take TT, hard to say.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:22 am There are so many rumors swirling around, but KU to the B1G is my hope. The BIG12 is dead w/o TX and OU. Even if the BIG12 added schools like Memphis, Houston, SMU, Central Florida, it won't be a P5 conference. I just don't see how the BIG12 can be salvaged. No big name school like Arkansas, Nebraska or Colorado is going to leave a steady conference to join the BIG12 that has been ravaged by defectors the last ten years. The conference is done. KU won't stay. I think they are in the B1G, just nothing official has been announced yet. Both Iowa State and KU are AAU institutions which is extremely important to the B1G. K-State and probably Okl State will go to the PAC12. Not sure where TT, Baylor and TCU will land. SEC might take TT, hard to say.
Pac12, B1G and ACC look to be collaborating with the thought of eventually combining to fight the SEC. My guess is that the SEC will counter by taking all the teams of the Big12 in a big to move Texas and OU more quickly than 2025. Divisions of only two major conferences will be the new replacement for the original Big 5 conferences.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:22 am
There are so many rumors swirling around, but KU to the B1G is my hope. The BIG12 is dead w/o TX and OU. Even if the BIG12 added schools like Memphis, Houston, SMU, Central Florida, it won't be a P5 conference. I just don't see how the BIG12 can be salvaged. No big name school like Arkansas, Nebraska or Colorado is going to leave a steady conference to join the BIG12 that has been ravaged by defectors the last ten years. The conference is done. KU won't stay. I think they are in the B1G, just nothing official has been announced yet. Both Iowa State and KU are AAU institutions which is extremely important to the B1G. K-State and probably Okl State will go to the PAC12. Not sure where TT, Baylor and TCU will land. SEC might take TT, hard to say.
The Big 12 doesn’t even have to be power 5 anymore with the new playoff rules. The conference winner would get an auto-bid to the playoffs every year and perhaps a wild card too.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Well playoffs I'm not really that concerned about, it's the Power Conferences that get the big TV contracts from ESPN, FOX, CBS, etc. If you're not in a Power conference, your revenue goes down substantially.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:14 pm Well playoffs I'm not really that concerned about, it's the Power Conferences that get the big TV contracts from ESPN, FOX, CBS, etc. If you're not in a Power conference, your revenue goes down substantially.
If you're talking about from the universities perspective: yes, get into the richest conference you can get

If you're talking about from the fan's perspective: you absolutely want to stay and retain the Big 12 at all costs

And I could give a rats ass about the revenue the school's make.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

HUGE NEWS!

Big 12 has been reported by ESPN as to be heavily pursuing BYU, Houston, Cincinnati & UCF- with BYU being its top target.

It seems like talks are going well. If they pull this off, they save the conference and the Big 12 tournament in KC. We MIGHT even see a changing of the football location out of Dallas as well now that TX and OU are gone. But this is huge.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

You're optimistic. None of those schools have a historical draw to KC.

It's just as likely they agree to rotate tournaments to entice them to enter.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The Big 12 would still exist if that happened, but I'm not sure it's the "HUGE NEWS" you think it is.

There would be many challenges having 12 schools spread across 3 time zones (9 AM football game times, travel, etc).
UCF fans aren't likely to come to KC for a tourney is serious numbers. BYU would be 2 rectangle states away.

Plus, I'm not sure those 4 schools offer the branding/conference revenue that Texas and Oklahoma do. When the dust settles after Texas and Oklahoma leave, there would likely be less conference revenue and it would be divided among more schools.
KC is the way to be!
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I could see them rotating locations for some things if they bring in the mix of schools. But KC would still be the "center" of the conference, geographically given there would be 3 schools East and one as far rest as Utah. Everything else in KS, TX, OK, and IA. Gives KC a nice sweet spot and of course the history, reputation, and experience of putting on basketball tourney and hosting.

Football would have a few choices of NFL stadiums now. But I think KC can be positioned to be a leader in the conference from the Old Big 8 days and when NCAA was located here. I hope this has legs and will be a good solution. But with college sports these days I'm not sure at all for anything
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If any of these four don't join, I'd like to see Colorado State admitted. The state already has a connection to the conference since CU was part of the Big 8. But, all four of these have big enrollment numbers and strong programs. It's a good move.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

They're not gonna move the basketball tournament. No way. Easy to explain why actually.

First of all, when we added West Virginia and TCU in 2013, did we suddenly feel an urge to move the tourney from KC? Nope.

This is fantastic news for KC, as they're about to become "the city" of this conference now that Texas & OU are out so Dallas' standing will diminish greatly. If anything, KC has even more influence now than ever in the Big 12, *not* less.

For FOOTBALL...yeah they can rotate the game because:
1. Texas Univ. was the only reason we had games in Dallas, because they demanded it and we had to obey. Now that they're gone? That one might rotate.

2. It's different than basketball- you only have two teams in the game. We have no clue who the teams will be so its a crapshoot, so you can really put the games anywhere.

Basketball:

1. Basketball includes all 12 teams in it. Fans from every team come in for the game.
KC is super logical to host the games because it sits almost perfectly in between all the Big 12 teams within driving distance for most of them. What do you think...when BYU gets added they'd make fans go to Salt Lake? Or Houston? Or Cincinnati? Orlando?
Why the hell would the Big 12 conference give up ticket sales in a place they know the most fans can get to? Zero chance.

2. Big 12 has had a ton of success hosting in KC. There hadn't even been a whiff of moving the games at all. They clearly have demonstrated no desire to move it.

3. Texas & OU didn't even have the clout to have the tournament hosted in Dallas or OKC. Certainly BYU & whoever else comes won't be able to affect that then.

4. This is gonna be KU's conference now (especially for bball) so they ain't gonna let it move, for good measure.

Bottom line, there's just zero logical reason why all of the sudden they'd move the games. Football- YES, basketball no.