TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! TH

Post by KCMax »

KU AD Sheahon Zenger denies KU has been talking to the Big Ten, according to 810.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Wasn't sure where to post these, but here you go:

Big 12:

SEC:

B1G:

ACC:
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Big Ten is threatening to become D-III if the NCAA loses a lawsuit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... index.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:Big Ten is threatening to become D-III if the NCAA loses a lawsuit.

Would they be interested in Rockhurst?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

AllThingsKC wrote:Big Ten is threatening to become D-III if the NCAA loses a lawsuit.

University presidents are sounding more and more like NBA/MLB/NFL/NHL owners. I bet that if you looked back at when player's unions were forming in those leagues, very similar comments were made. Especially in MLB.

So...
Is this Northwestern's idea?
Did Jim Delaney also threaten to take his ball and go home?
If the Big 10 quits D1, who is going to lose to the SEC in the National Championship?
Is it too soon to get Indiana: 2015 DIII Football Champions t-shirts printed?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I believe Delaney is also the one that said if there was ever a playoff in football, the Big Ten would go back to the old bowl system. He's a huge whiner.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

So, if this were to happen (it won't- Delaney is lying and I would love to see the court call his bluff- though I am unsure of the repercussions of O'Bannon winning) who would the Big XII want to pick up? Take Nebraska back for geographic continuity then add Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio State to go to 16? Outside of Northwestern, I do not for a second believe that any B1G school would actually be down iwth that plan, and the conference would be ripe for the pickings.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Big East adds Creighton, Xavier, and Butler.

So the new Big East is:

Creighton
Xavier
Butler
Georgetown
DePaul
Marquette
Villanova
St. John's
Providence
Seton Hall

They also completed a broadcast deal with FOX.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Looking at list of schools, two thoughts come to mind:

1. West Virginia HAD to get out of the Big East.

2. Sucks for the Missouri Valley Conference to lose Creighton.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:Looking at list of schools, two thoughts come to mind:

1. West Virginia HAD to get out of the Big East.

2. Sucks for the Missouri Valley Conference to lose Creighton.
There is some talk about SLU rejoining the MVC, but more likely they will try to get into the new Big East. The A10 doesn't look that great now with Butler and Xavier gone, and Temple and Charlotte leaving. Dayton I suppose could also join the MVC if it doesn't get into the Big East.

There is also some talk about Oral Roberts joining the MVC.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I know this is completely ancillary, but I'm pretty surprised NO SEC team has wrestling. Mizzou has to compete in the MAC.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/m ... 07495.html

Seems kinda petty the Big 12 won't invite them as an affiliate member, but whatever.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Yep. I don't know why, but the SEC doesn't sponsor wrestling as a sport. Mizzou has a very good wrestling team (they won the Big 12 last year), so that was one down side to switching conferences: What happens to the wrestling team? They found a home (along with UNI and Old Dominion) in the MAC. Mizzou won the MAC this year in wrestling.

West Virginia's men's soccer team also competes in the MAC.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:Seems kinda petty the Big 12 won't invite them as an affiliate member, but whatever.
Are you kidding? That is like getting mad at a Country Club because they won't let someone who just quit paying dues play golf. The football and basketball deals subsidize every other sport, so I don't see why a school that left a conference and potentially hurt its long-term football and basketball deal prospects should be subsidized by the very product they left and no longer contribute to.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Big 12 Commissioner, Bob Bowlsby, takes stabs at Mizzou and A&M once again:
Bowlsby says there's no question it's the lure of TV contracts that's creating a sort of musical chairs among conferences as schools try to squeeze as much revenue as possible from their brands. "There are some very bad decisions that are being made by certain institutions based only on the money and not on traditions of rivalries and what may be best for the institution in other ways." He points to departures from the Big 12 of Missouri and Texas A&M, moves that destroyed century-old rivalries.

](*,) And, once again, he's wrong on so many accounts. He is coming off as an absolute bitter idiot.

I do not like your stupid ugly Commissioner. He is making your stupid ugly conference look stupid and ugly. And fat.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KCMax wrote:Seems kinda petty the Big 12 won't invite them as an affiliate member, but whatever.
Are you kidding? That is like getting mad at a Country Club because they won't let someone who just quit paying dues play golf. The football and basketball deals subsidize every other sport, so I don't see why a school that left a conference and potentially hurt its long-term football and basketball deal prospects should be subsidized by the very product they left and no longer contribute to.
So, where's the benefit to conferences to have any affiliate members? The MAC has 12 teams, plus 11 affiliate members in various sports, including "football only". I understand Big 12 > MAC. But, why else would conferences allow affiliate members? Seems like the Big 12 could benefit by doing the same and having a national power in wrestling (as there aren't many Big 12 wrestling schools).
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote:
I don't really see how Mizzou wrestling would get subsidized by the football contract. It would just be another opponent at wrestling matches.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

AllThingsKC wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
So, where's the benefit to conferences to have any affiliate members? The MAC has 12 teams, plus 11 affiliate members in various sports, including "football only". I understand Big 12 > MAC. But, why else would conferences allow affiliate members? Seems like the Big 12 could benefit by doing the same and having a national power in wrestling (as there aren't many Big 12 wrestling schools).
Would be stupid to let Mizz wrestle in the Big XII. They already have national powers in wrestling. They don't need a second rate SEC team as an affiliate member.

It's funny how you claim the Big XII commissioner is saying stupid things - but yet MUs decision is what caused this plight for their wrestling program. Why should they not have to take responsibility for their decisions?