Big 12 Basketball 2008

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Big 12 Basketball 2008

Post by Highlander »

kcmetro wrote: You dork, the tourney doesn't mean a whole lot for teams that are a lock to make the big dance.  But I know you and your MU brethren don't know much about being locks for the tourney.  That conference tourney is usually your only ticket to the post season.
The BigXII tournament does indeed make a difference for teams that are a lock because the results can and will influence seedings.  KU's case for a two seed, which I think was special pleading already, suffered when they lost to Baylor.  

Usually?  Mizzou has been absent from the tournament for the last few years of Quin's tenure and the first two years of Anderson's.  During Norm Stewart's tenure and when Quin first took over, Mizzou made the tourney on a regular basis.  
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I think you are off your rocker on this - but regardless, KU has absolutely crushed the conference in both categories throughout its existence. 
Take last year for example.  KU and UT tied for the confernece championship.  Although KU beat UT during the regular season you could argue that KU benefited a) from an imbalanced schedule and b) getting UT at home.  I would say winning the conference tournament (over UT nonetheless) was more important to KU than winning what amounted to a co-title with UT in the regular season.  
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

jlbomega wrote: Take last year for example.  KU and UT tied for the confernece championship.  Although KU beat UT during the regular season you could argue that KU benefited a) from an imbalanced schedule and b) getting UT at home.  I would say winning the conference tournament (over UT nonetheless) was more important to KU than winning what amounted to a co-title with UT in the regular season.  

What in the name of crack are you smoking?  KU lost in Austin.  That's the only time KU "ties" for a hoops title, when teams don't have to come to AFH.

Besides, KU benefited from nothing last year.  They led the nation in scoring margin and went 37-3 winning the title.  They needed no "benefits" in 07-08.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Maitre D wrote:
Kansas haters have waited 3 long years to finally say KU "choked" in a tourney.   It's been a long, depressing time for them all on that topic.
Nah...

Bucknell and Bradley was enough to keep me full for years...

...When they choke this year, it'll just be the icing on the cake  :lol:
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Maitre D wrote:
What in the name of crack are you smoking?   KU lost in Austin.   That's the only time KU "ties" for a hoops title, when teams don't have to come to AFH.

Besides, KU benefited from nothing last year.   They led the nation in scoring margin and went 37-3 winning the title.   They needed no "benefits" in 07-08.
Oh yeah... I got the previous year mixed up.  Anyway... KU losing in Austin further proves my point!  KU was able to play on a neutral (as neutral as 40 minutes from your campus can be) and win the conference tournament.  Last year winning the confernece tournament was actually bigger than winning the regular season.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

jlbomega wrote: Oh yeah... I got the previous year mixed up. 
And you'd be wrong, since Kansas won the 2007 regular season outright. 

Anyway... KU losing in Austin further proves my point!  KU was able to play on a neutral (as neutral as 40 minutes from your campus can be) and win the conference tournament.  Last year winning the confernece tournament was actually bigger than winning the regular season.

You're one of the only people I've ever heard who argued the tourney = the regular season.  So I see no point arguing that.  We know why you're taking that position, tho - it's obviously transparent.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

StL_Dan wrote: This place has degenerated, im2kull.   I noticed it starting to slide a couple of years ago, as well.  Lots of fucks, shits and other more creative obscenities seem to be the cool thing.
Agreed, while it's may have started a couple of years ago, it's taken a turn for the worse in the last few weeks.  

I'd rather talk about Mizzou's run in the Big XII tourney.  Should be a good game tonight against Baylor who played Missouri tough in Columbia but has underachieved all year with some otherwise good talent.  What happens if Baylor wins?  Does OSU or A&M go NIT or will the big XII have 7 teams in the tourney (doubtful).
Couldn't watch the game last night but the box score made it sound ugly.   
Last edited by Highlander on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, how does Baylor beat Nebraska, #1 seed KU, and a fair Texas team anyway?

Who did Mizzou beat?  Texas Tech and OSU - Whoop-de-doo!  Big deal.

While I think MU has most, if not all, of the advantages in this game, how Baylor got to this game is nothing short of impressive.

It should be a good game.  I just hope MU doesn't start again because I think Baylor would take advantage of that.
KC is the way to be!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote: So, how does Baylor beat Nebraska, #1 seed KU, and a fair Texas team anyway?

Who did Mizzou beat?  Texas Tech and OSU - Whoop-de-doo!  Big deal.

While I think MU has most, if not all, of the advantages in this game, how Baylor got to this game is nothing short of impressive.

It should be a good game.  I just hope MU doesn't start again because I think Baylor would take advantage of that.
Probably because Baylor knows it's only chance to make the NCAA tourney is winning the Big XII tournament.  Everyone acknowledges that Baylor has a lot of talent, they've been surprising underachievers all year.  Their poor performance this year is reminiscent of a Quin Snyder team.....always capable of pulling off a big upset, rarely motivated. 
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander, the game was ugly. Typical MU outrunning the other team. MU also got lucky with a key injury to Byron Eaton and James Anderson getting in to foul trouble in the first half. Plus MU was lucky that OSU was shooting just a cold as they were. Nobody could hit anything until the last five minutes.

MU will have to shoot much better tonight if they want to beat Baylor.

In related baptist college news, #7 ranked SBU Bearcats battle Angelo State in NCAA First Round. Go Bearcats!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Mizzou Basketball: We know how to beat Baylor!  Go Tigers!
KC is the way to be!
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

So how in the hell will the committee sort out OU/MU/ku?  OU is widely considered to be higher seeded, but they've lost 4 of 6 and is 0-2 against the other two.  ku won the regular season outright, beat ou on the road, only lost by 2 in Columbia, but got bounced in their first big 12 tourney game.  Mizzou took 3rd in the league, but beat OU at home and won the postseason conference tournament.

Any guesses?  I still think OU will be a low 2 with Mizzou a high 3 and ku a mid to low 3.  Memphis and OU will probably play in KC while Mizzou gets Minneapolis with Michigan State and ku gets shipped out to Boise.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shaffe wrote: So how in the hell will the committee sort out OU/MU/ku?  OU is widely considered to be higher seeded, but they've lost 4 of 6 and is 0-2 against the other two.  ku won the regular season outright, beat ou on the road, only lost by 2 in Columbia, but got bounced in their first big 12 tourney game.  Mizzou took 3rd in the league, but beat OU at home and won the postseason conference tournament.

Any guesses?  I still think OU will be a low 2 with Mizzou a high 3 and ku a mid to low 3.  Memphis and OU will probably play in KC while Mizzou gets Minneapolis with Michigan State and ku gets shipped out to Boise.
Mizzou made their job a lot easier by knocking Baylor out.  Had they won, that would have been a bracket buster.  As for sorting out MU, KU and OU's seeds, I suggest the Pomeroy rating system.  Far better than the RPI. 
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

Will reason prevail, and will Mizzou finish the season the top-ranked Big XII basketball team and get to play first round games in KC? 
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

MoMan wrote: Will reason prevail, and will Mizzou finish the season the top-ranked Big XII basketball team and get to play first round games in KC? 

No.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

They should- OU collapsed down the stretch, losing to Tech and Baylor shouldn't do KU any favors.  I really don't see how any of them could be higher than a four seed, three at the highest.  There is really not that much difference from 1 to 9 in Big XII this year.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

MISSOURI TIGERS - BIG 12 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC is the way to be!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

phxcat wrote: They should- OU collapsed down the stretch, losing to Tech and Baylor shouldn't do KU any favors.  I really don't see how any of them could be higher than a four seed, three at the highest.  There is really not that much difference from 1 to 9 in Big XII this year.

Retarded.  All three of them will likely be 3-seeds.  OU/KU pissed down their legs obviously, but 8 of the top-10 RPI lost this week too.  Should those teams not be punished?    Memphis & Louisville got thru, but Memphis should be discounted due to their garbage conf.

Saying there's no diff btw 1-9 is also pretty hilarious, and totally unsupported by the RPI or Pomeroy.

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Maitre D wrote:
Retarded.   All three of them will likely be 3-seeds.   OU/KU pissed down their legs obviously, but 8 of the top-10 RPI lost this week too.   Should those teams not be punished?    Memphis & Louisville got thru, but Memphis should be discounted due to their garbage conf.

Saying there's no diff btw 1-9 is also pretty hilarious, and totally unsupported by the RPI or Pomeroy.
Memphis is number 1 in the Pomeroy rankings.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

If all 3 of them are 3 seeds then who the hell fills out the 2's?

Louisville, UNC, Memphis, Pitt - 1's
UCONN, Michigan State, ???, ???

Duke?  Missouri's resume is virtually identical
Wake?  Oklahoma has a far better regular season to go with their early tourney bounce, same with kansas
Villanova?  See above
Washington?  Doubt it

Duke will probably be on the 2 line, but I think one of the Big 12 teams fills the last of the 2's.  It's just up to the committee to decide who is best suited for it.  The regular season champ?  The tourney champ?  Or the perceived best team who finished weakly?