NBA Exhibition in Wichita

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

NBA Exhibition in Wichita

Post by kcjak »

From the Wichita Eagle this afternoon:
The New Orleans Hornets and Orlando Magic will meet in an NBA exhibition game on Oct. 16 at Koch Arena.

Bob Hanson, president of the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission, said ticket prices and availability have not been finalized.

It'll be the first NBA exhibition for Wichita since 1995, when the Denver Nuggets and Sacramento Kings met at Levitt Arena. Hanson has said that he would like an NBA exhibition to become a yearly event, moving into the new Intrust Bank Arena after construction is completed in 2010.

I'm wondering why KC hasn't had an NBA exhibition game more often?  Aside from having a strong, organized local group backing an NHL expansion team (NHL 2010 or something?), does anyone know why KC hasn't had more NBA exhibition games lately, aside from those in Lawrence?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: NBA Exhibition in Wichita

Post by KCMax »

A lot of times the NBA will hold their exhibition games in smaller cities, I guess where it will be perceived as a bigger deal, unlike in a larger city like KC where there are more things to do. Still, I'd like to see us go for more exhibition games. I don't think we've had one since 2001.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

How many arenas does Wichita have? I think that the main reason that Wichita gets what they do is that they are very competitive in the markets that they work in. Working for a Wichita company we are very competitive in our advertising and ways of doing things. We advertise heavily on all of the commercial Cox cable stations. It is to the point that the giant Mickey Ds advertisements do not play at all. in sports thy are very competitive. When Topeka had a CHL hockey team (Topeka Scarecrows) they played Wichita Thunder. I attended one game at Landon Arena here in Topeka and I swear that Wichita was the roughest team alive. It is all about the industries of Cessna, Beach, Boeing, Coleman, Koch industries and others that has made Wichita what it is today.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote: A lot of times the NBA will hold their exhibition games in smaller cities, I guess where it will be perceived as a bigger deal, unlike in a larger city like KC where there are more things to do. Still, I'd like to see us go for more exhibition games. I don't think we've had one since 2001.
Maybe there just prepping the area out in front of the Sonic's move to OKC.  You know, get the hinterland interested in the NBA so they spend money going to OKC Sonics games a couple of years from now.  If the Memphis experience is universal, smaller cities will need all the help they can get in attendance.    
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote: Still, I'd like to see us go for more exhibition games. I don't think we've had one since 2001.
I know it's been a awhile for KC, but wasn't there an NBA Exhibition game in Lawrence a year or two ago?
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote: I know it's been a awhile for KC, but wasn't there an NBA Exhibition game in Lawrence a year or two ago?
Yea, Sonics and Bulls. I did a LEXIS search and the last report of a NBA exhibition game in KC was 2001 Rockets-Pistons.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Yes, KC has had exhibition games in the past but unless you get one of the popular teams attendance usually sucks.  It is a little early though so it remains to be seen if AEG is willing to foot the bill for this type of event. 
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Any thoughts on how the NBA might be looking at that game, in regards to how OKC or KC might be able to support a team?

I'm trying to see if this helps or hurts KC.
KC is the way to be!
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I would think that with its close proximity to both cities that it will help KC more tan OKC.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AllThingsKC wrote: Any thoughts on how the NBA might be looking at that game, in regards to how OKC or KC might be able to support a team?

I'm trying to see if this helps or hurts KC.
Neither.  The teams need preseason games to get the kinks out.  Preseason games in the home market usually do not sell so the teams hope to make some money, or at least cover their costs, with these games.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Highlander wrote: Maybe there just prepping the area out in front of the Sonic's move to OKC.  You know, get the hinterland interested in the NBA so they spend money going to OKC Sonics games a couple of years from now.  If the Memphis experience is universal, smaller cities will need all the help they can get in attendance.   
If that were the case you'd think they would try to bring the Sonics in- let them get a taste of the team they would be seeing.  I don't know how serious the talk is, but if the Sonics are looking at bringing Bill Self in to help them get support in OKC, they won't last there for long.