Big XII Basketball

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Big XII Basketball

Post by WSPanic »

Kansas' statistical odds of advancing, according to stats guru Ken Pomeroy:
K-State as the virtual 5-seed in the midwest. And Wisconsin over G-Town. All very interesting.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I am really struggling with how to pick KState/USC.  Prior to the announcement of the seedings I had been inclined to think KSU might pick up a win or two just based on the fact that some non-conference opponents might not have picked up on the recipie for beating the cats (single coverage for Beasley - frustrate Walker and Pullen) and might do something stupid like go back to full time doubling of Mike.  Tim Floyd really throws a wrench in my thinking though.  Part of me says he is a shrewd defensive mind and surely will have picked up on the recipie and they will have no problem.  But part of me thinks that he may just be arogant enough to think he can actually concoct some gimmick defensive scheme to neutralize Beasley and he'll fall in the trap.  Decisions, decisions . . .
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I am really struggling with how to pick KState/USC.  Prior to the announcement of the seedings I had been inclined to think KSU might pick up a win or two just based on the fact that some non-conference opponents might not have picked up on the recipie for beating the cats (single coverage for Beasley - frustrate Walker and Pullen) and might do something stupid like go back to full time doubling of Mike.  Tim Floyd really throws a wrench in my thinking though.  Part of me says he is a shrewd defensive mind and surely will have picked up on the recipie and they will have no problem.  But part of me thinks that he may just be arogant enough to think he can actually concoct some gimmick defensive scheme to neutralize Beasley and he'll fall in the trap.  Decisions, decisions . . .
I went with USC initially but I heard a guy on 810 say that USC is terrible at allowing offensive rebounding, which I think is huge in the NCAAs. Beasley will have a monster day. But what about the rest of the team? I'm leaning KSU now.

Its really a coin flip. They're both highly talented teams that on any given day could probably beat any team in the nation, but are also highly inconsistent and can lose to any team on any given day as well.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

USC is a good team, so it was hard for me to choose, but I ended up going with K-State for a few albeit hopeful reasons.

1.  I'm hoping Walker will be up for the game since he is playing against former teammate Mayo.  When Walker is on, that usually means less defense on Beasley.  I think we all know what happens with less defense on Beasley.

2.  The game is in Omaha.  I'm sure this means less in the NCAA Tournament since the teams are mostly of high caliber and I'm sure fans travel much more.  But it can't hurt that we are close to home.

3.  I'm a KSU student, so I'm juuust a little biased! 

Either way, I think it'll be a good game and hopefully not a let down.  For what its worth, Frank Martin has said that the team has practiced harder than they have the last month or two.  We'll see if it pays off tomorrow evening.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Apparently Tim Floyd is upset about the site.  That may show a bit of a mentality that is preparing for a loss.  That, along with the fact that the K-State players may be mentally rejuvenated by the start of the tournament give me hope that K-State can win.  From there, we have beat the top seed in the region, so who knows?
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

Nebraska wins their opening game in the NIT defeating UNC-Charlotte 67-48. Next game is on the road to play Mississippi.

The only other Big XII team in the tournament, Oklahoma State, lost to Southern Illinois 69-53.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

phxcat wrote: Apparently Tim Floyd is upset about the site.  That may show a bit of a mentality that is preparing for a loss.  That, along with the fact that the K-State players may be mentally rejuvenated by the start of the tournament give me hope that K-State can win.  From there, we have beat the top seed in the region, so who knows?
That and I don't know how many times I heard O.J. Mayo say "this could very well be my last game." Well yea, with that kind of attitude it will be.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

So much for my theory that Baylor might be a little fiesty comming off the conference meltdown . . .
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

The largest crowd to ever see a basketball game in the state of Nebraska. KU v Portland St in the 1st round.  :lol:

8)
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

kcmetro wrote: The largest crowd to ever see a basketball game in the state of Nebraska. KU v Portland St in the 1st round.  :lol:

8)
Why is that funny?  :?:
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCFutbol wrote: Why is that funny?  :?:
A team from out of state was the biggest draw in state history.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: A team from out of state was the biggest draw in state history.
Don't laugh.  I think Nebraska this year was our highest or top-5 highest draws ever in football.  And I think they are highest draw most years they came here.  Or near it.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

The Quest Center seating was just recently expanded, just this year IIRC.

I would imagine more tickets might be available for a NCAA tournament game than for a regular season Creighton game. Last year they averaged just short of 16,000.

The Devaney Center holds fewer now (13,595) than it used to because the upper deck bench seating was replaced with individual seats.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maitre D wrote: Don't laugh.  I think Nebraska this year was our highest or top-5 highest draws ever in football.  And I think they are highest draw most years they came here.  Or near it.
True. 51,910.  Previous top draw was KSU

http://kuathletics.cstv.com/facilities/ ... facts.html

2nd session tickets in Omaha seem to be going for a higher price on the resellers market...marque matchup, you would expect that.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: 2nd session tickets in Omaha seem to be going for a higher price on the resellers market...marque matchup, you would expect that.

90% of the country is getting this game.  Don't f-ck it up.

I don't want the state of Kansas getting our name sullied by another of your dog performances, as the last month has seen many times.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

so losing to a 6 as an 11 is f'ing it up?  nice.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: so losing to a 6 as an 11 is f'ing it up?  nice.
No, just don't get blown out by 20. I don't see that happening though. I have KSU winning this one...then falling to Wisc.
BurningMustard
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by BurningMustard »

Maitre D wrote: Don't laugh.  I think Nebraska this year was our highest or top-5 highest draws ever in football.  And I think they are highest draw most years they came here.  Or near it.
Yeah, but at least a team from Kansas was playing in that game.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Hey... don't poke too much fun at basketball attendance at the Qwest Center... forget single game records... Creighton ranked 13th in the nation in -average- attendance last year... right behind KU... and Creighton has an enrollment of only 7,000.  There is no other school smaller than Creighton with a higher average attendance.

Maybe it's time to start hosting UMKC at the Sprint Center... well, you know... at least until something more befitting of KC's big city status... comes along.  ;)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kcmetro wrote: No, just don't get blown out by 20. I don't see that happening though. I have KSU winning this one...then falling to Wisc.
I had KSU picked in all my brackets but I can't say I was confident....they played a-freaking-mazing if you ask me...I haven't seen that game out of them since the month of January.

Wisconsin will be interesting...they are a very discipled group.  KSU needs to speed them up.