Big XII Basketball

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Big XII Basketball

Post by Highlander »

Maitre D wrote:
See?   SEE Lenexa?   Even when KU does win one, it won't count b/c KU will have obviously cheated to win it.   Or the refs were so biased, they gave them the game.   Or the BCS would've been grossly negligent / Lew Perkins simplly bought the OB, Va Tech wasn't any good to begin with......on and on.

Cheaters or chokers.   Those are Tiggerfan's only 2 options for KU results.
I am not sure if he is talking about the NCAA sanctions leveled against KU when Brown left or the hiring of Manning's father.  The former, I would never consider cheating, NCAA rules are petty, ridiculous and really do nothing to ensure a fair playing field.  The latter is testament to how ridiculous the NCAA rules are: they are set up so no team gains a recruiting advantage over another and yet they allow coaches to hire the fathers of great high school players which would seem to me to constitute the ultimate recruiting advantage.  I would not necassarily call it cheating but I think university's should voluntarily refrain from the practice.  Same goes for hiring AAU coaches, high school coaches etc..  I would not even go as far as saying that KU's 88 NC is even tainted but I would say they were one of the most fortunate teams in the history of the tournament in the way things played out for them.  It was a fun tournament to watch, probably the most memorable since 79 when Larry Bird and Magic Johnson went at it in the final.      
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

NDTeve wrote: 1. You rip us for thinking we're elite - but MU fans are the ones who bring it up
2. We refute you.
3. We're oversensitive.

Well, at least one of your three claims is correct.  Congratulations.  The accuracy of your posts is improving somewhat.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

MoMan wrote:

Well, at least one of your three claims is correct.  Congratulations.  The accuracy of your posts is improving somewhat.
And yours still continue to suck. Have you ever brought anything to this board? All you do is flame/troll and add nothing.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Highlander wrote: I am not sure if he is talking about the NCAA sanctions leveled against KU when Brown left or the hiring of Manning's father.  The former, I would never consider cheating, NCAA rules are petty, ridiculous and really do nothing to ensure a fair playing field.
The funny thing is, that the player who was recruited & given the free plane ticket (Vince Askew) never even played for KU.  He went to Memphis instead.   Ergo, KU has absolutely no "cheaters" on their 1988 team whatsover and no part of that title run is disputed by the NCAA or college sports at all.

By the way, that charge is no longer an NCAA violation.  

The latter is testament to how ridiculous the NCAA rules are: they are set up so no team gains a recruiting advantage over another and yet they allow coaches to hire the fathers of great high school players which would seem to me to constitute the ultimate recruiting advantage.  I would not necassarily call it cheating but I think university's should voluntarily refrain from the practice.  Same goes for hiring AAU coaches, high school coaches etc..  

College sports should do away with hiring anybody who is related to, or coached prior, any player.    of coruse, it's much more beneficial to do this in hoops as 1 star can change your whole team.

I would not even go as far as saying that KU's 88 NC is even tainted but I would say they were one of the most fortunate teams in the history of the tournament in the way things played out for them.  It was a fun tournament to watch, probably the most memorable since 79 when Larry Bird and Magic Johnson went at it in the final.
1988 was fluky in a good way for KU.   1997 & 1998 were fluky in bad ways.   And, KU was favored by 5.5 in the 2003 title game vs. Syracuse too.  Doesn't always work out.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

shaffe wrote: who gives a shit about history?  honestly. 
Kansas fans do aparently.  Always try to remind us of their eliteness.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

jlbomega wrote: Kansas fans do aparently.  Always try to remind us of their eliteness.
Nice touch.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

NDTeve wrote: Nice touch.
Like I said before, look who started this conversation a few pages ago.  I believe it was a beaker (elphair) like usual.  But you get called out and want to cry about MU fans punking you.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

jlbomega wrote: Like I said before, look who started this conversation a few pages ago.  I believe it was a beaker (elphair) like usual.  But you get called out and want to cry about MU fans punking you.
For the third time . . . It was CHEF.  Eliphar posted in response. 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

God bless us, everyone.
KC is the way to be!
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

jlbomega wrote: Like I said before, look who started this conversation a few pages ago.  I believe it was a beaker (elphair) like usual.  But you get called out and want to cry about MU fans punking you.
punking = flaming. Worry about your team (what's left of it). We'll worry about ours. Good place to be when people are bitching about 3 losses this season.
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

this goes to show whatthe "fans" on this site really care about...not talking sports, but bickering about the subjective term "elite".  multiple times some have tried to start actual sports talk about the current big 12 race only to be buried by bickering.

f+ng stupid...people should be happy I don't have banning rights...the member list would be much shorter right now :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Love him or hate him, the front page story on the USA today sport pages today is about Michael Beasley!  Check it out.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

KCPowercat wrote: this goes to show whatthe "fans" on this site really care about...not talking sports, but bickering about the subjective term "elite".  multiple times some have tried to start actual sports talk about the current big 12 race only to be buried by bickering.

f+ng stupid...people should be happy I don't have banning rights...the member list would be much shorter right now :)
Exactly.

It doesn't matter what I say about kU here (positive or negative) they all get their panites in a wad.  So of course what am I going to resort to.  Hmmm..
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Exactly.

It doesn't matter what I say about kU here (positive or negative) they all get their panites in a wad.  So of course what am I going to resort to.  Hmmm..
Wow. Very big of you to admit everyone else was wrong. Way to take the high road.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

WSPanic wrote: Wow. Very big of you to admit everyone else was wrong. Way to take the high road.
I never admitted I was right.  Yet another kU poster who aparently can't read. 

What about you?  Are you "right" in this situation. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Given that a certain degree of sports smack and flaming are inevitable no matter how much we might think ourselves above it - how about if someone creates a permanent smack talk BS thread for college sports and any time the conversation drifts from actual play, it could be dumped into there.  That way if anyone actually wanted to talk about the strategy surrounding Texas' guards v. the KSU duo, they could do it in peace.  Though I suspect it would quickly become the biggest thread on the site.  Perhaps even a sticky - "post your smack here . . . "
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Given that a certain degree of sports smack and flaming are inevitable no matter how much we might think ourselves above it - how about if someone creates a permanent smack talk BS thread for college sports and any time the conversation drifts from actual play, it could be dumped into there.  That way if anyone actually wanted to talk about the strategy surrounding Texas' guards v. the KSU duo, they could do it in peace.  Though I suspect it would quickly become the biggest thread on the site.  Perhaps even a sticky - "post your smack here . . . "
but what "smack" could TiggerFan throw out during the winters?  They almost always serve as a conf bottom feeder, and KU is almost always winning it.     

"Smack" shoudlnt' consist of some depressed TiggerFan, bragging how good UCLA is. 
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Given that a certain degree of sports smack and flaming are inevitable no matter how much we might think ourselves above it - how about if someone creates a permanent smack talk BS thread for college sports and any time the conversation drifts from actual play, it could be dumped into there. 
Next post...
Maitre D wrote: but what "smack" could TiggerFan throw out during the winters?   They almost always serve as a conf bottom feeder, and KU is almost always winning it.     

"Smack" shoudlnt' consist of some depressed TiggerFan, bragging how good UCLA is.  
Sorry Lenexa, I don't see that making much of a difference.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Interesting stat.... kansas doesn't have anyone in the top 10 in scoring in the league?  has kansas ever gone an entire season of big 12 play w/o at least one player in the top ten in scoring?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

jlbomega wrote: Interesting stat.... kansas doesn't have anyone in the top 10 in scoring in the league?  has kansas ever gone an entire season of big 12 play w/o at least one player in the top ten in scoring?
Not answering your question but I have to admit that Kansas spreads it around pretty good which is why they do not have a top scorer.  It certainly leaves you less vulnerable to injury (i.e., losing Hannah has really hurt Mizzou's options as was obvious against CU the other night).  Seems like Arthur and Jackson have really c'mon lately as scorers as KU's game shifts more from being guard oriented to getting more points in the paint.  Surprised Arthur is not in the top 10 though.