Big 12 Football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Big 12 Football

Post by shaffe »

4 noncon games out of the way and we have a good idea of what the teams in the big 12 are all about.  let's hear some predictions for the conference season, especially the local teams.

is colorado turning the corner just in time for conference play?

is mizzou for real?

will the preseason fav (nebraska) still win it all?

can prince rekindle what snyder had going until recently?

before i make my calls i want to hear some of yours.  go as deep as you want, or just boast about your favorite team if you like.  who will be hoisting the trophy at arrowhead this year?
Last edited by KCMax on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Big 12 play is upon us

Post by KCMax »

Texas should dominate this conference - but I'm not sold on them on the national stage - OSU picked them apart.

Mizzou looks like the most impressive North team to me. Don't underestimate their capacity to blow it though.

Kansas was way overrated this year. I don't even think they make a bowl game this year.

K-State = great defense, no offense. This will be a rebuilding year, but not a terribly painful rebuilding year. They'll have their moments.

ISU has a decent team but a tough schedule. Can't see them overcoming that.

Colorado is impossible to figure out but it will likely be a tough year for them.

Nebraska has looked good so far, but I'm not completely sold on them. It should come down to their game against Mizzou to decide the North and I can't see the Tiggers winning in Lincoln.

Texas thumps Nebraska at Arrowhead.

As for the BCS I think Ohio State defeats West Virginia for the National Championship. I don't think West Virginia is all that great, but they are likely to go undefeated, while I think everyone else will lose at least one.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Mizzou - They'll probably blow some easy game eventually. They look solid in every category so far, but knowing their history, they always find a way to screw it up.

Kansas - They have a very solid defense once again, but unless they start putting up more points, they'll lose the close games in the Big 12. They were able to beat S. Florida last night, but it came down to the last play of the game. Barmann actually looked good, but when Meier gets healthy again, I see him starting just because of his pass velocity and scrambling ability. I could see them going 8-4 if they win the games they're supposed to win. They also have the easiest schedule they've had in years.

Colorado - who knows what's up with these guys. They lay an egg against Montana St. and then almost knock off Georgia at GA. If they can use that GA game for momentum (even though they lost), then they could be dangerous in Big 12 play.

KState - I don't know much about KSU, but I don't see them contending for the North title at all. I could see a possible bowl game though. They have to play Texas, CU at CU, and KU at Lawrence so those are 3 tough games right there.

Nebraska - This team looks the best so far. The North is their's to lose.

ISU - always a tough team, especially at home. They've managed to blow their chance at the North title 2 straight years, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them very hungry for it this year.

The teams I think have a legit shot at the North title are NU, MU, KU, and ISU.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

KCMax wrote:
Kansas was way overrated this year. I don't even think they make a bowl game this year.
How can you say Kansas was way overrated when they were picked to finish no higher than 3rd in any report I've ever seen?  Most publications have them at 4 or 5th.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

It is far too early to tell the order of finish.  Non-cons, especially the caliber that most teams schedule, are in nos way an indicator of how a conference season will shake out.  Nebraska and Texas appear to be the favorites of their respective divisions w/ Texas the overall favorite but you simply cannot tell at this point.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

M - I - Z !!!
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

BVC wrote: How can you say Kansas was way overrated when they were picked to finish no higher than 3rd in any report I've ever seen?  Most publications have them at 4 or 5th.
Because I heard some people picking them first or second in the North. Maybe that's because its so wide open. Most people thought that with their easy schedule, they could win 7-8 games. I think they'll struggle to win 5.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: Because I heard some people picking them first or second in the North. 
Who?  I challenge you to name even one media outlet/person who did that.

"Well, I have a friend at work who"....won't count Max.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Nebraska looks like the bestright now in the North.  Missouri will contend, but we need to see how they will play against some competition.  Iowa State should be OK too, but so far have failed to impress.  Colorado is a tough nut to crack- they have so many times lost in the OC and then won the north.  We will have to see next week if the game against Georgia was a fluke, if Colorado is getting it together, or if Georgia is just way overrated.  KU is not good- the defense is far behind what it was last year, the offense is not much better than last year, and they are very mistake prone.  $1.5 mil for what?  Obviously I've followed K-State the closest, but compared to pre-season expectations, they have looked good.  Special teams started out special, the defense was very impressive against Louisville (who will be the top one or two team we play this year).  Offense needs work, and from here out that will be the big question mark.

Right now, it is between NU,MU,KSU, and maybe ISU for the north, Colorado and than KU.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCMax wrote: Because I heard some people picking them first or second in the North. Maybe that's because its so wide open. Most people thought that with their easy schedule, they could win 7-8 games. I think they'll struggle to win 5.
Struggle to win 5?? They've already won 3 and they have 8 games left. Here's who they have at home: A&M, OSU, KSU, CU and they're away at Baylor, ISU, NU, and MU. The 4 home games are very winnable. They should be favored in all but the A&M game, although I wouldn't be surprised if they beat A&M. ISU, NU, and MU will be tough, but the Baylor game is up for grabs as well. You never know with ISU and MU either. We could always pull a surprise with one of them.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

KU will win five, maybe six.  OSU at home should be a win, and BU on the road should be, though KU has problems with road games.  They won;t beat NU, MU (unless they blow it, which they could) or ISU on the road.  They also won't beat ATM or K-State at home.  The only other win out there is Colorado, which at this point you would think they would win at home, giving them six, though I wouldn't be surprised if Colorado knows how to win by then.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: Who?  I challenge you to name even one media outlet/person who did that.

"Well, I have a friend at work who"....won't count Max.
I just remember listening to 810 and hearing both callers and hosts picking KU 2nd or 3rd with a few people thinking they'd be playing at Arrowhead. I thought it was crazy talk at the time, and it seems even crazier now.

kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

They also won't beat ATM or K-State at home.

LOL
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I am not so wild as to predict a big twelve title game for my hawks but 7 games still seems very attainable.  In addition to the easy schedule, the most pleasant surprise has been how fast the defense has developed.  After loosing eight starters, I thought that would be by far the weakest part of this team.  However, they are looking pretty sharp and are already back up competing for best rush defense in the country for the second straight year.  The offense is obviously a bigger question mark, but I think they will develop enough to beat several of these opponents we have on the calander.  Choosing between freshman and senior QBs is going to get interesting - do you go with the steady dependable senior who doesn't provide any spark at all, or the freshman with much more talent and athletic ability but a badly undeveloped field awareness?  
phxcat wrote: They also won't beat ATM or K-State at home. 
phxct, as someone who as had the misfortune to have to attend every game so far in Manhattan, I would say your optomisim is pretty misplaced.  The Cats are going to get mowed down in the b12 this year - I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them strugle in Waco next week.  And don't try to hang your hat on the defense "keeping Louisville close" this week - the cards only used about 2% of their playbook and it was pure vanilla.  
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

how is 24-6 "keeping Louisville close?" 

9-6 is close.  just because the score wasn't 52-6 doesn't mean it was "close."  :lol:

i think MU is the "real deal."  i predict they'll be 9-3 on the season.  they smacked Ohio this weekend even though they played really sloppy.  if they can tighten up a bit, they shouldn't have any problem with most of the Big 12.  however, Colorado may be riding high off their excellent showing against Georgia and come in and beat us.  we shall see.  Chase Daniel is a stud, however.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: how is 24-6 "keeping Louisville close?" 

9-6 is close.  just because the score wasn't 52-6 doesn't mean it was "close."   :lol:
Chriz, You should have been walking through the parking lot in Manhattan after the game saturday - a person could have easily been mistaken into believing the cats had won.  phxcat's attitude seems to be pretty prevelant amongst the wildcat nation heading into b12 play.  It is amazing how quickly they have forgotten just how ugly the first couple of games were. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

For those interested in KU, I wouldn't be surprised to see Barmann get the start this weekend at NU. He was the starter back in '04 when we played up there and lost 14-8. He's experienced and put up a good showing against South Florida. I would expect that they'd start Barmann and say that Meier is still injured (even if he isn't) and then see how Barmann does. If Barmann starts throwing interceptions, I'd expect to see Meier possibly come in and be the main man for the rest of the season. I think the QB spot could be Barmann's until he messes up and reverts back to some of his poorer performances of last season.

I know I've made my predictions for the North, but it really is up in the air because this division is so mediocre and balanced. We don't have a powerhouse like OU or Texas to scoop up all the recruits. NU used to be that powerhouse, but they are no longer getting the best players all around. So for me, I won't be surprised really to see any of the North teams win the divison, although some look much better than others right now. Once conference play begins, it's a whole new season with new possibilities.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Whitlock knows his football.......

"Kansas’ victory on Saturday is the best nonconference victory of our three local teams. In fact, it’s the best nonconference win in the Big 12 North."

"Kansas — which beat Nebraska and Missouri a year ago — is as close to being a favorite in the North as we have right now."

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 595168.htm
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Chriz, You should have been walking through the parking lot in Manhattan after the game saturday - a person could have easily been mistaken into believing the cats had won.  phxcat's attitude seems to be pretty prevelant amongst the wildcat nation heading into b12 play.  It is amazing how quickly they have forgotten just how ugly the first couple of games were. 
From what I saw on the tube at ESPNZone, if  Louisville would not have committed any turnovers and had the mental letdown with the 2nd string D in the game, KSU gets blown out 52-0.  Louisville came off an enormous win last week v. Miami and sat out their first string QB.  I would agree that a 24-6 score is extremely misleading.

MU appears to be good but I think a 4-4 or 5-3 conference record is most likely b/c they do not appear to be leaps and bounds beyond anybody else in the North.  KU should go 4-4 in the conference based upon the schedule that works heavily in their favor with this being a rebuilding year.  The infusion of Freshman at key areas could hold them back.  KSU will have extreme difficulty this year trying to win some key games on the road.  NU, KU, MU, and even Baylor will be a tough go of it on the road.  ISU appears to be a 5-3 team.  NU should be at 6-2 or 5-3 but CU could get killed at a 2-6 conference record.  However, it is too early to tell, like I've said
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Chriz, You should have been walking through the parking lot in Manhattan after the game saturday - a person could have easily been mistaken into believing the cats had won.  phxcat's attitude seems to be pretty prevelant amongst the wildcat nation heading into b12 play.  It is amazing how quickly they have forgotten just how ugly the first couple of games were. 
This is because people didn't expect much this year.  After two very down years, a coaching change, and almost everyone predicting K-State at the bottom of the north, and then after the ISU game, (they did not struggle in the two games after that) K-State looked good on Saturday.  The defense will keep K-State in all of the north games.  The defense and special teams are head and shoulders above KU's.  Both offenses struggle.  Louisville didn't throw a vanilla gameplan at K-State.  They played to win, and except for a couple bad drives and some bad turnovers. the K-State defense kept them in check.  The problem with K-Sate is in the O-line and at QB.   This will improve over the course of the season, as every other part of the team has over the OC, and by the end, K-State has a lot more room to improve than KU does.  I'm nto going to garauntee a victory, nothing is a lock, but as of right now K-State should win easily in Waco, and should be favored in Lawrence.  KU is not impressive- USF is not what they were last year, if you watched the Toledo game, you watched two bad teams play.  You forget how KU has struggled in all four games.  We will see if KU can keep Nebraska close, but it's not likely.

That said, the north is completely up in the air.  We will see what happens this weekend and be better able to make prediction then.