Big 12 Football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
weapon_x
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Big 12 Football

Post by weapon_x »

how about next year?
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Tigers fans can look forward to seeing more top talent from in-state on the field in Columbia in the future as two more St. Louis area players verbally commit over the weekend. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fort Zumwalt West football player T.J. Moe had said he was leaning toward Missouri but wanted to take all his visits before making a commitment.

But after attending the Mizzou football camp over the weekend, he couldn't help but declare his intention to play for the Tigers.

"I was going to wait, but I knew I wasn't going to find a place where I could have better relationships than I do now," said Moe, a 6-foot, 190-pounder who is best friends with Mizzou cornerback Carl Gettis.

"And Mizzou is really good, so that helps, too."

Moe, a quarterback at West, said he will play safety in college.

In his junior season, Moe threw for 2,326 yards and 17 touchdowns and rushed for 1,497 yards and 24 TDs en route to Post-Dispatch All-Metro honors as an all-purpose player.

Moe is the No. 7 prospect on the area Super 30 list for the 2009 class.

source

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hazelwood East rising senior lineman Darris Ford made an early oral commitment on Sunday to play football at the University of Missouri.

“It’s close,” Ford said. “It’s not a bad school to go to. They’ve got a top facility. I want to go to school to be a DEA agent, and they have a pre-law major. I figured I’d stay in-state and play for the home team.”

The 6-foot-5, 283-pound Ford also had scholarship offers from Kansas State, Minnesota and Iowa and was drawing interest from several schools.

Ford said it is still undetermined whether he will play on the offensive line or defensive line in Columbia. He said he could play left tackle or defensive end.

“I prefer to play defense — that’s what I want to play — but if I have to play offensive tackle, I’ll play it,” Ford said.

The Hazelwood East lineman is the fourth St. Louis area player from the Class of 2009 to make an early commitment, joining Gateway Tech’s Sheldon Richardson, Chaminade offensive lineman Jack Meiners and Washington wide receiver Kerwin Stricker. 

“All of us from St. Louis, we’ve got a vibe together,” Ford said.

source
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

That is great news.  For years the top talent in St. Louis was Big 10 bound, now they are staying in state. 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

That's what a blow-out Cotton Bowl victory will do for you! 

(And I'm sure the #1 ranking for a week didn't hurt either.)

:D
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MU is the only school in a two-metro state....pretty embarrassing they haven't been able to secure borders any better than they have.  they should be flush with talent annually.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: MU is the only school in a two-metro state....pretty embarrassing they haven't been able to secure borders any better than they have.  they should be flush with talent annually.
Well they would be, if all their rivals weren't cheating.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KU's one quality season-a-decade is not affecting MU.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: KU's one quality season-a-decade is not affecting MU.
BCS bowl wins

Old Man Snyder:  1
Fat Man          :  1

Will be interesting to watch the next 5 years at KU to see if ol' Mango will match Snyder's accomplishments.  He's off to a great start you would agree?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: KU's one quality season-a-decade is not affecting MU.
So, is it better to have one quality season per decade or one quality decade per century?
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mangino needs to show a lot more consistency before those comparisons can even start.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: mangino needs to show a lot more consistency before those comparisons can even start.
Well, obviously.  Still tho, look at his first 6 years vs. Old Man's.  (I bet you won't, but just suggesting it to you)

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Maitre D wrote: Well, obviously.  Still though, look at his first 6 years vs. Old Man's.  (I bet you won't, but just suggesting it to you)
Mangino overall record: 37-36
Snyder overall record: 36-31-1

Mangino winning pct: .507
Snyder winning pct: .529

Mangino bowl record: 2-1
Snyder bowl record: 1-1 (K-State went 7-4 in '91 and would have gone to a bowl had there been as many games as today)

Mangino final Top 25 finishes: 1
Snyder final Top 25 finishes: 2

Seems pretty even, right? I'm assuming that's your point.

But, it's not so even when you consider Snyder took over what many consider as the worst team in college football history in the 0-11 1988 Wildcats. They didn't win a game from October 18, 1986 until September 30, 1989. From '85-'88, K-State was 3-40-1. The 3 years leading up to Mangino's hiring, KU was 5-7, 4-7, and 3-8, not good but certainly not 2-30-1. I would think most people would tell you Snyder did a far far far superior job compared to Mangino.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah KU's program was in much better health when Mangino took over....KSU football (and really the school itself) was on its last leg.

not really an apples to apples comparison to me.  if m.d. thinks mangino is the next snyder though, that's cool.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: But, it's not so even when you consider Snyder took over what many consider as the worst team in college football history in the 0-11 1988 Wildcats. They didn't win a game from October 18, 1986 until September 30, 1989. From '85-'88, K-State was 3-40-1. The 3 years leading up to Mangino's hiring, KU was 5-7, 4-7, and 3-8, not good but certainly not 2-30-1. I would think most people would tell you Snyder did a far far far superior job compared to Mangino.
Wait wait - Powercat keeps talking about how garbage KU football was.  Incl a "baylor-like" (his direct quote) history in the Big 12 prior to 2007.

So now when I bring up Snyder, suddenly KU's program is elevated to mediocrity.  Which is it?

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ku has had a horrible big 12 record...that comes nowhere close to the fundamental issues that plagued the worst football team in div 1A (as labeled by s.i.)

good try though.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: ku has had a horrible big 12 record...that comes nowhere close to the fundamental issues that plagued the worst football team in div 1A (as labeled by s.i.)

good try though.
There's no "try" - I'm merely quoting you.  While everyone is going to agree KSU was in a worse position, I am going to call you out if you try to pretend Mangino didn't have it all that rough while concurrently bashing KU as a Big 12 bottom feeder.

You can't have it both ways.  Sorry.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that is fine to call me out if I said those things....where did I say mangino didn't have a tough time and a bad program to take over?

ku was bad....ksu in 1988 should have shut down the program.  completely different levels.

if mangino can keep the .500+ seasons going, that would be huge props to him.  he has already done a great deal to improve football in lawrence...I don't think anybody questions that.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCPowercat wrote: MU is the only school in a two-metro state....pretty embarrassing they haven't been able to secure borders any better than they have.  they should be flush with talent annually.
No need to preach to the choir...Missouri natives/fans have been just that - embarrassed - off and on for the past 30 years.  But, that feeling is seemingly behind us for the foreseeable future, though no guarantees, obviously.

So, we'll be happy we have a coach that is committed to locking down the top talent within our borders.  Win or lose, I'd rather do it with a large group of 'true sons'.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

StL_Dan wrote: So, we'll be happy we have a coach that is committed to locking down the top talent within our borders.  Win or lose, I'd rather do it with a large group of 'true sons'.
Man, that's not a very nice thing to say about Chase Daniel, Doug Smith, Derrick Cheivous, Phil Bradley, or a whole host of former MU stars who came from outside the state.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Maitre D wrote: Man, that's not a very nice thing to say about Chase Daniel, Doug Smith, Derrick Cheivous, Phil Bradley, or a whole host of former MU stars who came from outside the state.
Use some common sense.  There's never a reason to disregard all out of state talent.  And my comments certainly did not imply as much.  However, if a coach is completely ignoring top talent in his own backyard, shame on him.

Winning and losing is much more meaningful for coach, players, fans and the student body when there is a heavy dose of impact and supporting players from the home state.

Being a KU fan, I'm sure you will have trouble identifying with that. 
Last edited by StL_Dan on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.