TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by dukuboy1 »

They signed an "alliance" but I have no idea what that means beyond a symbolic gesture to confront the SEC. However what I do see will be more of a complete shake up and total realignment of these NCCA Conferences. They will re-shuffle the deck and a lot of what is in place now & historically will remain but other D-1 schools will get folded in. Now this only happens with a mega shift from the NCAA or something like it no longer existing & replaced with a new governing body that will allow for player monetization ( on some level, not full blown professionals) and address things from a large perspective. But that would mean these universities banding together like the Owners of the NFL so that everyone gets an equal share of the pie when it comes to media revenue and you don't have everyone trying to cut their own deals. The NFL has a very good system in place where there is a huge revenue split but teams also get to keep their individual takes in ticket sales, merchandise, etc. A model that is controlled through a very strong governing body would be ideal.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Post by Highlander »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:05 pm ^When the PAC-12, ACC, Big10 signed that alliance, it was over. That was the agreement basically saying we’re not gonna start a war over poaching Big 12 schools.

Big10 made their decision to go East, not west. They wanted the NY market instead of going into Great Plains.

That’s why I’ve been saying the future of the Big 12 is going to be just the biggest Great Plains & Mountain West schools combined. A couple schools will be outliers but this is the premise.
The new Big12 won't be as bad of a football conference as people seem to think. At the current time, the teams that comprise the new conference have 4 top 25 teams while the ACC and the Pac 10 just have 2 top 25 teams each. While there are no marquee programs, it's a fairly good conference overall with only KU being a complete flop in football. The biggest issue is that it doesn't command the TV audiences of the other major conferences so there will be a money shortfall relative the rest of the college football world.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

^Exactly.

What about this current Big 12 football composition is so great? These teams are shitty as hell. Oklahoma is a giant catfish that’s barely beating teams worse than it. Right now, Cincy & BYU alone might be the best teams in the Big 12. We’re better off trying to build a better conference and TV audience up with what we’ve got than hinging it on 2 schools.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Future Big 12 members Cincinnati & BYU: Cincy seems on a clear path the playoff, and BYU seems headed to the Top 10 this week or the next. OU & UT continue have below-expectation seasons! This couldn’t have turned out any better for the Big 12…looks they may have bet on the right horses going forward. Still adding a Final Four bball team in Houston incoming as well.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I hope they fuck Texas as much as possible.

Move the big 12 back, base the tournaments in KC, and rotate them every other year to keep everyone happy about things and fun.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:01 pm I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I hope they fuck Texas as much as possible.

Move the big 12 back, base the tournaments in KC, and rotate them every other year to keep everyone happy about things and fun.
The number of B12 teams in Texas stays the same but percentage of B12 teams in Texas will drop from 40% to 33% so the state will hopefully have much less pull in the conference (especially without their flagship university). KC remains a pretty central location for the conference with the addition of BYU to even out adding a team in central Florida.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

BYU & Cincy are in the top 10 now. Cincy has a decent chance to make the national title game if they run the table…pretty sweet upgrade for Big 12 if this holds
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Looks like six teams are leaving Conference USA for the AAC. Would love to see Missouri State move out of the Missouri Valley to a reloaded CUSA or Sunbelt Conference.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:32 am Looks like six teams are leaving Conference USA for the AAC. Would love to see Missouri State move out of the Missouri Valley to a reloaded CUSA or Sunbelt Conference.
Seemed pretty obvious since 2010 that the end result of realignment would be the end of the small no-name conferences.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beermestrength wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:17 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:12 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:54 pm

Aside from that mrs. Lincoln, how’d you enjoy the new conference?
Again, who cares about brand/money when you’re a fan? That money isn’t going to you. It isn’t even going to the players. It’s going to executives and that’s it. All that matters from a fan standpoint is W/L and nothing more. Idk why people choose to shill for the university execs.

Look no further than Nebraska joining the Big 10 and forever destroying their program- but atleast the administrators got more cash!
Mother of God will you please stop posting this jibberish.

You have no clue what you are talking about.
Ahhh, been waiting for this one for a while. Let me preface this by saying I don't ever like to post to prop myself up and my own takes...but I'm taking exception this one. That bullshit you and your compadres were all shitting on me for this summer about the Big 12 really pissed me off. You basically all laughed in my face for telling you the Big 12 was getting a great trade. I had to fight about 5 of you ignorant frauds and your insane arrogance. You wouldn't even listen or understand a single thing I was trying to explain to y'all. So let the reality explain it for you then.

So, after you and others all tried to call me a fool this summer...

1. Cincinnati makes the fucking playoff

2. Baylor & OK State finish in the TOP 8

3. BYU and Houston both are gonna finish in the Top 20

Aaaaand LOOOOOOOOOL the Oklahoma & Texas football programs are spiraling into SHIT as we speak. Eat it. "The Big 12 is dead guys!!"

You know what conference got the most teams in the top 12 right now?? Not the bIg tEn, not the SEC....it's the "watered down Big 12" guys. Tell me more how I have no clue what I'm talking about.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:46 am I got alot of shit for calling Leipold a good coach and accused of being a KU homer even though I despise them lol. That dude coached his ass off.
He did a good job this year. It's the first time I've been optimistic on KU football in a decade.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Good vibes from Leipold’s first season-Rock Chalk!!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KU in the Good Vibes Bowl.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:01 pm So, after you and others all tried to call me a fool this summer...

Aaaaand LOOOOOOOOOL the Oklahoma & Texas football programs are spiraling into SHIT as we speak. Eat it. "The Big 12 is dead guys!!"

You know what conference got the most teams in the top 12 right now?? Not the bIg tEn, not the SEC....it's the "watered down Big 12" guys. Tell me more how I have no clue what I'm talking about.
1. Cincinnati did make the playoff
2. Oklahoma State finished 9th, not 8th
3. BYU finished 12th but Houston finished 21st

I'm not sure what number system you have, or why you arbitrarily picked top 12 but the SEC and Big 10 have 3 teams in the top 12. The Big 12 and Independents each have 2, the Pac 12 and the AAC have one each. If you're claiming Cincinnati and BYU as "Big 12" teams I'd like for you to show me the math where four teams combine to have 6 total losses between them while still playing in the same conference.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

shaffe wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:49 pm If you're claiming Cincinnati and BYU as "Big 12" teams I'd like for you to show me the math where four teams combine to have 6 total losses between them while still playing in the same conference.
Show me a conference that only plays 8 conference games, getting an essential off week in the middle of the year playing N.Appalachia St or Northern South Carolina while every other conference plays a packed schedule then gets credit for the win at the end of the year and being in a “tough conference”.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

shaffe wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:49 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:01 pm So, after you and others all tried to call me a fool this summer...

1. Cincinnati did make the playoff
2. Oklahoma State finished 9th, not 8th
3. BYU finished 12th but Houston finished 21st

I'm not sure what number system you have, or why you arbitrarily picked top 12 but the SEC and Big 10 have 3 teams in the top 12. The Big 12 and Independents each have 2, the Pac 12 and the AAC have one each. If you're claiming Cincinnati and BYU as "Big 12" teams I'd like for you to show me the math where four teams combine to have 6 total losses between them while still playing in the same conference.
Lol I love how you people are still clawing and trying to salvage a losing argument. Yes I used the rankings from last night because the post was made last night.

Okay, top 9 instead of top 8…feel better?

And yes, I’m talking about the future Big 12 as of 2022 and behind that is “watered down” remember? Yeah, that watered down Big 12 got more teams in the top 13 spots than any other conference. That Big 12 just sent a team to the playoff that was supposedly a watered down school to replace OU & UT.

As I said in summer- you will come to realize how great of a trade this ends up being. Honestly, I didn’t even see the UT and OU programs going to shit coming, but I’m here for it.

The Big 12 is a better basketball & football conference now going forward.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I wish the Big12 would have added these four teams a couple years ago, had a very strong conference to compete with most others and tried a run to get Colorado and Nebraska back to get to 16 teams.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:20 pm I wish the Big12 would have added these four teams a couple years ago, had a very strong conference to compete with most others and tried a run to get Colorado and Nebraska back to get to 16 teams.
I don’t think people realize how bad Oklahoma and Texas programs are gonna be now.

Oklahoma’s incredible coach literally bailed last week because he knows it’s gonna be a shit-show in the SEC. Look at how Nebraska ruined their once great program chasing money.

The best part of all of this is KC is gonna take over the Big 12 now over Dallas.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:12 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:20 pm I wish the Big12 would have added these four teams a couple years ago, had a very strong conference to compete with most others and tried a run to get Colorado and Nebraska back to get to 16 teams.
I don’t think people realize how bad Oklahoma and Texas programs are gonna be now.

Oklahoma’s incredible coach literally bailed last week because he knows it’s gonna be a shit-show in the SEC. Look at how Nebraska ruined their once great program chasing money.

The best part of all of this is KC is gonna take over the Big 12 now over Dallas.
Frankly, I think OU and Texas will be just fine in the SEC. It becomes a 16 member conference so they won't be playing Bama and Georgia all that often. Unlike Nebraska, moving to the SEC won't change OU and Texas's recruiting situation and most likely it will improve it. A lot of SEC fans licking their chops at the future demise of OU and Texas's football program are going to be disappointed. They may be down for a couple of years but I think they will eventually prosper and it will be at the expense of the more western teams in the SEC like A&M and Arkansas.

I hope that is the case with KC. There will still be 4 teams from Texas in the B12 so not much may change on the football side but hopefully all basketball tourneys in the future stay in KC.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:03 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:12 pm

Frankly, I think OU and Texas will be just fine in the SEC. It becomes a 16 member conference so they won't be playing Bama and Georgia all that often. Unlike Nebraska, moving to the SEC won't change OU and Texas's recruiting situation and most likely it will improve it. A lot of SEC fans licking their chops at the future demise of OU and Texas's football program are going to be disappointed. They may be down for a couple of years but I think they will eventually prosper and it will be at the expense of the more western teams in the SEC like A&M and Arkansas.

I hope that is the case with KC. There will still be 4 teams from Texas in the B12 so not much may change on the football side but hopefully all basketball tourneys in the future stay in KC.
Re: my point about KC, yes there are gonna 4 Texas schools but it’s more about clout now is what I meant. KU is now the most powerful brand, followed by ISU, OSU…and this would lead me to believe the power is shifting up to KC. The reason Dallas conformed things before with KC was because UT and OU were more Dallas-centric schools and they held all the brand value. It shifts to Kansas now.