GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Does anyone else here actually just prefer the Chiefs keep Arrowhead outdoors and the way it is instead of trying build a roof or messing around with the stadium structure?

Just gonna throw this out here- I don’t care whether we get the Super Bowl here or not

But we’re in one the few NFL climates where we don’t need a roof for the extreme heat (Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, the Deep South, etc) and we don’t need it for the extreme cold either (Detroit, Minnesota, etc) so since we’re in a very even climate, why don’t we keep our traditional outdoor space?

And please don’t cite anything about the Super Bowl. I don’t care about an event that comes here one day for every 30 years .I’m just saying from a fans view, we don’t need a roof. It would ruin Arrowhead.

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11070
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mean »

I think ruin might be hyperbolic, but it would be an almost completely unnecessary and ridiculously expensive addition. It would have made at least some more sense in the context of a rolling roof between the two, mostly for avoiding Royals rainouts but also handy to maybe roll over Arrowhead once in a while. If the Royals are gone, like 85% of the justification goes with them.

KCKev
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Tucson Arizona
Contact:

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by KCKev »

Speaking of which. Did anyone attend the game?
Go Chiefs! Time to get hot....
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!

User avatar
cknab1
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:00 pm
Location: Crown Center
Contact:

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by cknab1 »

Yes, was there. Lots of Cowboy fans but they stayed fairly quiet thankfully. I'm hoping the offense can get it together because the defense is really playing great!

shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 6802
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by shinatoo »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:43 pm
Does anyone else here actually just prefer the Chiefs keep Arrowhead outdoors and the way it is instead of trying build a roof or messing around with the stadium structure?

Just gonna throw this out here- I don’t care whether we get the Super Bowl here or not

But we’re in one the few NFL climates where we don’t need a roof for the extreme heat (Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, the Deep South, etc) and we don’t need it for the extreme cold either (Detroit, Minnesota, etc) so since we’re in a very even climate, why don’t we keep our traditional outdoor space?

And please don’t cite anything about the Super Bowl. I don’t care about an event that comes here one day for every 30 years .I’m just saying from a fans view, we don’t need a roof. It would ruin Arrowhead.
It's not just the Super Bowl. It's the Final 4, SEC Championship, Big 12 Championship, an annual bowl game, off-season concerts, conventions, maybe the NCAA playoff or championship. With a roof you would see GEHA host 2 to 3 times as many events as it does now. The big limiting factor would be maintaining the natural grass.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AlkaliAxel »

shinatoo wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:48 am
AlkaliAxel wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:43 pm
Does anyone else here actually just prefer the Chiefs keep Arrowhead outdoors and the way it is instead of trying build a roof or messing around with the stadium structure?

Just gonna throw this out here- I don’t care whether we get the Super Bowl here or not

But we’re in one the few NFL climates where we don’t need a roof for the extreme heat (Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, the Deep South, etc) and we don’t need it for the extreme cold either (Detroit, Minnesota, etc) so since we’re in a very even climate, why don’t we keep our traditional outdoor space?

And please don’t cite anything about the Super Bowl. I don’t care about an event that comes here one day for every 30 years .I’m just saying from a fans view, we don’t need a roof. It would ruin Arrowhead.
It's not just the Super Bowl. It's the Final 4, SEC Championship, Big 12 Championship, an annual bowl game, off-season concerts, conventions, maybe the NCAA playoff or championship. With a roof you would see GEHA host 2 to 3 times as many events as it does now. The big limiting factor would be maintaining the natural grass.
But with that same logic, moving the Chiefs closer to downtown would help brining in more of that stuff too. I think if you’re gonna do it, you should go all it and do it right. Not just put lipstick on a pig.

shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 6802
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by shinatoo »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:00 pm
shinatoo wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:48 am
AlkaliAxel wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:43 pm
Does anyone else here actually just prefer the Chiefs keep Arrowhead outdoors and the way it is instead of trying build a roof or messing around with the stadium structure?

Just gonna throw this out here- I don’t care whether we get the Super Bowl here or not

But we’re in one the few NFL climates where we don’t need a roof for the extreme heat (Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, the Deep South, etc) and we don’t need it for the extreme cold either (Detroit, Minnesota, etc) so since we’re in a very even climate, why don’t we keep our traditional outdoor space?

And please don’t cite anything about the Super Bowl. I don’t care about an event that comes here one day for every 30 years .I’m just saying from a fans view, we don’t need a roof. It would ruin Arrowhead.
It's not just the Super Bowl. It's the Final 4, SEC Championship, Big 12 Championship, an annual bowl game, off-season concerts, conventions, maybe the NCAA playoff or championship. With a roof you would see GEHA host 2 to 3 times as many events as it does now. The big limiting factor would be maintaining the natural grass.
But with that same logic, moving the Chiefs closer to downtown would help brining in more of that stuff too. I think if you’re gonna do it, you should go all it and do it right. Not just put lipstick on a pig.
I don't have any issue with that other than you have an existing, historic, building that people love. Maybe more than Kauffaman. Plus the tailgating culture.

I guess I do have issues.

I'm conflicted. It would depend on cost and taxpayer involvement. Roof plans and downtown plans. Lots of variables.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AlkaliAxel »

^Arrowhead is much more revered than Kauffman, and I get that. Besides Lambeau, we’re the 2nd most revered stadium.

Kauffman isn’t historic. It’s just a stadium that some Royals fans believe is some marvel because they’re homers.

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11070
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mean »

Kauffman is what, the sixth oldest stadium in MLB? Sure, professional baseball--and stadiums--goes back further than NFL, but I don't think it's fair to say it's "not historic" because it's mid 20th-century. What does "historic" even mean, and how is it less historic than Arrowhead considering they are exactly the same age? Whatever subjective "revered" status you apply to it, by all objective measurements I have managed to think of, they seem as historic as each other to me.

shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 6802
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by shinatoo »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:48 pm
^Arrowhead is much more revered than Kauffman, and I get that. Besides Lambeau, we’re the 2nd most revered stadium.

Kauffman isn’t historic. It’s just a stadium that some Royals fans believe is some marvel because they’re homers.
On Kauffman I disagree. From an architectural standpoint it is absolutely historic. From a baseball point of view it "has some history" but not on the scale of say Wrigly or Fenway. But more so than Anaheim and Oakland.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5639
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by beautyfromashes »

The "it's the 5th or 6th oldest stadium but has been renovated several times" carries very little weight with me. The reason it's that number is because everyone else in the league has built new stadiums, some two stadiums before we've had a new one. It's nice for car-centric 1960s suburbia sake, but doesn't really have the amenities or character or neighborhood connection to be anything worth saving. The only reason to keep it is nostalgia and even though I've been to every World Series and many playoff games there, I'm not going to hold my kids to reliving my childhood.

User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AlkaliAxel »

mean wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:45 pm
Kauffman is what, the sixth oldest stadium in MLB? Sure, professional baseball--and stadiums--goes back further than NFL, but I don't think it's fair to say it's "not historic" because it's mid 20th-century. What does "historic" even mean, and how is it less historic than Arrowhead considering they are exactly the same age? Whatever subjective "revered" status you apply to it, by all objective measurements I have managed to think of, they seem as historic as each other to me.
Because Arrowhead carries weight as it’s known as the loudest stadium in the world. Arrowhead is renown for being the toughest atmosphere in the NFL. It’s also just for a unique name that everyone in the NFL knows, it’s just a well known venue overall.

Kauffman is just…none of that. It’s just a place. It’s known for nothing.

Wrigley & Fenway, in addition to being the ancient stadiums, are known for the Green Ivy outfield in Wrigley and the Green Monster wall in Fenway. Legends of the game played there as early as the 1910’s.

Ask around the MLB fans they’ll mostly have no clue what Kauffman is or what the Royals stadium name is if you ask.

The Chiefs and “Arrowhead” stadium have name ID and clout. The two aren’t even in the same stratosphere. Again, KC fans are the only ones who think this about Kauffman nationally.

kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by kas1 »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:38 am
Kauffman is just…none of that. It’s just a place. It’s known for nothing.
Rumor has it there are a bunch of fountains in the outfield.

Out of curiosity, I googled for rankings of MLB stadiums and clicked on all the top results. Kauffman is clustered around the #10 spot in every list. Arrowhead is generally around #7 on lists of NFL stadiums.

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11070
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mean »

Yeah, I don't think anyone nationally gives two shits about either particularly, and all we're really probing here are the personal biases of locals.

User avatar
im2kull
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3441
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: KCMO

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by im2kull »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:48 pm
Kauffman isn’t historic. It’s just a stadium that some Royals fans believe is some marvel because they’re homers.
That's a pretty ignorant statement. Kauffman is one of the most historic, important stadiums in modern sports history. It has literally shaped every successive stadium design to this day.

User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AlkaliAxel »

mean wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:38 am
Yeah, I don't think anyone nationally gives two shits about either particularly, and all we're really probing here are the personal biases of locals.
Yeah, I agree. Arrowhead obviously more famous than Kauffman because of the sound record and the playing atmosphere, but overall they both are just normal-ish. Local bias gets in the way.

Riverite
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Riverite »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:14 pm
mean wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:38 am
Yeah, I don't think anyone nationally gives two shits about either particularly, and all we're really probing here are the personal biases of locals.
Yeah, I agree. Arrowhead obviously more famous than Kauffman because of the sound record and the playing atmosphere, but overall they both are just normal-ish. Local bias gets in the way.

They are both one of the top 32 stadiums nationally in their respective sport!

User avatar
GRID
City Hall
City Hall
Posts: 15104
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by GRID »

Riverite wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:54 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:14 pm
mean wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:38 am
Yeah, I don't think anyone nationally gives two shits about either particularly, and all we're really probing here are the personal biases of locals.
Yeah, I agree. Arrowhead obviously more famous than Kauffman because of the sound record and the playing atmosphere, but overall they both are just normal-ish. Local bias gets in the way.

They are both one of the top 32 stadiums nationally in their respective sport!
I think it's time for a new MLB stadium in KC, but Kauffman is still one of the best venues in MLB to watch a game. I have been to games at nearly all the MLB stadiums. I just hope KC doesn't go too cheap. I think an economy minor league size park would be stupid and would rather KC keep Kauffman if they can't afford to build a really nice stadium and surround it with proper infrastructure and development.

Arrowhead is a little different. You do know that if they replace that stadium, they will loose their iconic bowl. I really think you can get another 20 years easily out of Arrowhead. It's still better than half the NFL stadiums out there and KC is not going to build a 2-4 billion dollar stadium like you see in LA, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Vegas etc. So may as well keep Arrowhead, let the Chiefs have the complex so they can do more with it.

User avatar
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9248
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:57 am
Location: Kansas City, Missouri (Downtown)
Contact:

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AllThingsKC »

Riverite wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:54 pm
They are both one of the top 32 stadiums nationally in their respective sport!
But that's not good enough since they are only 30 stadiums in each sport! We need to at least crack the Top 30!
KC is the way to be!

User avatar
GRID
City Hall
City Hall
Posts: 15104
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by GRID »

AllThingsKC wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:47 pm
Riverite wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:54 pm
They are both one of the top 32 stadiums nationally in their respective sport!
But that's not good enough since they are only 30 stadiums in each sport! We need to at least crack the Top 30!
Lol.

Kauffman is a top ten easily, if not often a top five stadium.

Arrowhead the same.

That doesn't mean it's not time to replace them, but Kauffman is a still one of the best stadiums in the league. It's way better than Nationals Park in DC for example. I love the location of National Park, but it's a cookie cutter retro stadium. Nothing special. Kauffman is better.

KC needs to do that again if they build a new stadium. Do something speical.

Post Reply