World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by alejandro46 »

Feeing bullish on our odds.

If Manaus can host a World Cup, so can we.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

For the record- it seems like it's basically a 100% chance that FIFA is going with 11 American cities instead of the original 10.

That quite literally may be the difference between KC getting it or not, because just about every prediction out there has KC nestled somewhere in the #9-12 range.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:26 pm
kcjak wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:57 am One FIFA official that was interviewed on the radio yesterday said their #1 priority in selecting sites is the stadium where the games will be played - if the stadium and field aren't top quality, it's a non-starter.
Arrowhead is the 4th largest stadium of the 17 host cities and already plays on natural grass. We'll see how far that stretches.
I didn’t think to compare stadium size. That’s an interesting point, they’re going to want to sell tickets so big is beneficial if the rest is satisfactory

How does it compare on aspects like private suites?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:52 pm
This is a general post, not directed at anybody here. I Just keep hearing this idea of running trams to the sports complex. I'm kind of a transit nerd, but maybe I'm missing something as to how in the world that would make any sense.
I bet the single most important route for this event will be airport to stadium to airport. In all cities. Where people come off their plane and load onto a bus or car directly at the airport. These will be your big names with same day airline tickets.

The less complex this route is the better off that city will be.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:07 pm
This is a general post, not directed at anybody here. I Just keep hearing this idea of running trams to the sports complex. I'm kind of a transit nerd, but maybe I'm missing something as to how in the world that would make any sense.
I bet the single most important route for this event will be airport to stadium to airport. In all cities. Where people come off their plane and load onto a bus or car directly at the airport. These will be your big names with same day airline tickets.

every airport will be utilized for this event. KCI, MKC, Executive, etc.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I really think we’re going to sneak in as the last city because of our soccer infrastructure. I wouldn’t be surprised if the usmnt books it early.

I do think they’ll avoid Colorado because of altitude. Mexico City is their national stadium so they can’t avoid it at Azteca, but I don’t think they’ll want one more. Cincinnati doesn’t look impressive.

Ussf knows kc very well and i think we’ll grab it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:07 am

every airport will be utilized for this event. KCI, MKC, Executive, etc.
I was talking to someone about downtown and they just said it would be used.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Why would anybody go directly from the airport to the stadium? After a long flight (probably two flights due to connections) to KC, I think people will want to get to their hotels of which there are basically none near the stadium now. Now those that fly in on chartered or private jets on the same day as the games and land at downtown airport will likely have their own transportation arranged. I doubt those people will be using general public buses.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:01 pm

Why would anybody go directly from the airport to the stadium? After a long flight (probably two flights due to connections) to KC, I think people will want to get to their hotels of which there are basically none near the stadium now. Now those that fly in on chartered or private jets on the same day as the games and land at downtown airport will likely have their own transportation arranged. I doubt those people will be using general public buses.
Not everyone will be coming internationally. Expat communities and soccer enthusiasts from USA and North America will attend.

We see direct flights added for Chiefs games (regular season and play-offs). If we got World Cup, I would expect direct international flights to be added for fans.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

How cool is it gonna be when Arch Manning is picked 1st overall in the draft in 2023 right here in Kansas City right after flying into that new airport that just got finished a month ago?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:01 pm

Because there won’t be enough hotel rooms. The Chiefs draw locals mostly.

There’s space in Arrowhead for 76,000 people.
There isn’t more than 34,000 rooms in the metro

But you have to include the Fan Fests too. 2018 saw 7.7 million people attend in 11 cities. The way I read it, it’s hosting a second event at the same time, and it’s bigger than the game.

Imagine downtown with 50,000+ people or more. If you look at 2014 and 2018 they were giant festivals with concerts that will have general appeal. The streetcar will need to shut down or the street blocked off to keep it running. All these ideas of using the train to get around will fall apart.

On the number of direct flights, there’s going to be a wholesale exodus from city to city. The winner of round 1 will go to city 2.

Imagine needing to move 30-50,000 people to the next city and there’s under two days to do it. A 747-800 holds up to 467 people.
That’s like 75-100 flights in 18 hours time all to one city.

It’s not possible to get everyone into the next city in time to spend the night before the game, many will take a red eye.

Hotel demand is going to be off the charts. I expect a lot of big name fans leave a hotel in city A, fly to city B, leave city B and get a hotel in city C or vice versa with a two night stay in city B.

Large blocks will be held in each city where the best hotels are booked solid before an announcement is made and a room comes with a ticket at some levels.

Every form of private transport in the region will be in use for the term of the games, because after our games would end, the fan fest will likely still run to watch the other games. This isn’t the scale of a few counties, when the schedule comes out we’re talking about every nice car that can be taken a host city will be rented out. And not just to the city, imagine someone renting transport from St. Louis for a 1pm game. It’s going to be a regional shortage. The rental car system will bring in fleets of vehicles with temporary service locations and expanded service.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ Interesting. I guess I didn't realize how many people will be coming from out of town. I figured the vast majority of ticket buyers would be in the KC area or a few hours drive.

This only emphasizes that KC's biggest challenge by far is hotel rooms. Not transit, not the stadium, not even airport connections.

KC just does not have that many high quality hotel rooms. It sounds like the hotels in St Louis would fill up too for such an event in KC.

Hopefully a few thousand more rooms can open downtown before the event. Downtown KC is still missing a ton of major hotel flags.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:15 am

KC just does not have that many high quality hotel rooms. It sounds like the hotels in St Louis would fill up too for such an event in KC.

Hopefully a few thousand more rooms can open downtown before the event. Downtown KC is still missing a ton of major hotel flags.
Part of the reason why a no on Hotel Bravo incentives feels like a short-term choice to me. It won't open until 2024 or 2025, when traffic has recovered. Peer cities like Indianapolis are continuing to fund or incentivize hotels far larger than KC has done.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:15 am ^ Interesting. I guess I didn't realize how many people will be coming from out of town. I figured the vast majority of ticket buyers would be in the KC area or a few hours drive.

This only emphasizes that KC's biggest challenge by far is hotel rooms. Not transit, not the stadium, not even airport connections.

I don’t think people that haven’t been to international soccer tournaments before understand how big the fan fest stuff is. People will come in just for that alone, and the people that come here to watch a match will spend the other days at the fan fest watching the other games.

If we get it, it’ll be unlike anything kc has had before.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The games in 2018 were held on 25 different days across a month.

Their events saw 646 bands play in 11 cities. I didn't see that number before but that's stunning in it's scale. It's not clear what that kind of scale would mean for KC but I would expect the first weekend to be one giant event and every host city to host quarter finals+ events. It wouldn't surprise me if we don't see stadiums turned into watch locations as well.

What I figure is many people won't fly and there will be demand for halfway hotels. Like if you're driving to Dallas for the next game every room between here and Dallas could be booked.

Big time fans might rent an RV and drive around the country.
Last edited by flyingember on Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think that new women's stadium today might help our bid alot. KHSB said same thing in their article.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It'll be away from the fan areas but does help highlight how popular the game is. The other stadium will be the bigger deal for actual use during the WC.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:07 pm It'll be away from the fan areas but does help highlight how popular the game is. The other stadium will be the bigger deal for actual use during the WC.
Right. I don't think it would have much *use* during the WC, but I think it does show FIFA our commitment level to soccer.

I mean, I watched Cincinnati's site visit with FIFA last week and they're out there telling FIFA too "we're the soccer capital of America!" St. Louis says the same thing too. But now...KC is the only one putting their money where their mouth is. I think that kinda makes Cincy's claims in its WC bid about being the "capital" pretty moot now.

So yes, I think FIFA will take note of this positively. Let's face it, KC is always pioneering in the world of soccer.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

One thing I noticed is looking at 2018 that some teams had a 8-10 day gap between games.

So finding a place to practice would be important for teams, they'll want to review their opponent and get some time in to practice how to counter their players moves. KC having two pro team stadiums, the national training facility (KCK) and team training fields all available (Swope) would be a positive for the bid. I didn't check, but how many cities have four pro-level facilities available?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think our bid's 4 biggest pro's are:
1. Stadium size
2. Central location
3. Soccer fandom city/facilities
4. The Hunt family soccer influence