World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by GRID »

This works too. This would really spur development in the east loop area. And downtown KCK would be great. But I will never understand the desire to go to village west. There is no way that area does now nor will ever warrant the investment of light rail all the way out there. It's just too low density and too far out.

And I hope this is for actual light rail and not streetcar.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:01 pm Image

This works too. This would really spur development in the east loop area. And downtown KCK would be great. But I will never understand the desire to go to village west. There is no way that area does now nor will ever warrant the investment of light rail all the way out there. It's just too low density and too far out.

And I hope this is for actual light rail and not streetcar.
My idea is actual LRT. Village West just sounds good to throw out as a “long term expansion opportunity”
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Rail before world cup is going to be a very tall ask. Dave has incidated only BRT has been considered is my understanding.

If any rail would be built, I would presume it would be direct from Maint down Linwood to TSC/Rock Island and streetcar, we already have the supporting infrastructure in place to service and build out quicker.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Why would we put rail to TSC when that whole place could be evacuated in 10-12 years? I don't mind rail that way to residents but stop feeding the sprawl
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:48 pm Why would we put rail to TSC when that whole place could be evacuated in 10-12 years? I don't mind rail that way to residents but stop feeding the sprawl
It’s on the way to Raytown and Lee’s Summit. Growth will continue out there regardless. We have the power to ensure it’s at least somewhat transit oriented and serviced.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:01 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:48 pm Why would we put rail to TSC when that whole place could be evacuated in 10-12 years? I don't mind rail that way to residents but stop feeding the sprawl
It’s on the way to Raytown and Lee’s Summit. Growth will continue out there regardless. We have the power to ensure it’s at least somewhat transit oriented and serviced.
Even if the Royals leave (probably) and Chiefs (very unlikely), the land would still be great to re-developed. The TSC lines up perfectly with the Rock Island right of way which could create a legitimate railway all the way out to Pleasant Hill.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:15 am 2.) KC has a significantly better soccer culture and attendance. Denver MLS has some of the most lagging attendance while KC is at the top
3.) If you don’t give KC games, you shut the whole midwest out. Not sure that’s worth it for FIFA.
If what happened in the past is still relevant local attendance wouldn't be taken into account, as a plus nor a minus. Tens of thousands of tickets would be reserved to teams and its fans playing in a host city. In 94 we got tickets to games in Chicago and all tickets available to the public were by phone order only. I believe all tickets for all host cities were sold out within one day. Now with the internet it could be in a manner of minutes. That's why hotels and other lodging options are important, almost all in attendance travel to the host city for games. Sorta like multiple Super Bowls.
And does FIFA really care about the Midwest? They want what is best for the teams and fans and in the past that meant the least amount of travel for the players and fans. Being the only Midwest host city may put the city at a disadvantage.

Now two things could be advantages for KC as a host city. One being the parking lots. Just imagine the tailgating parties before and after a match that can occur for fans and teams. Plus plenty of nearby space for TV and news equipment. Two being the baseball stadium. Show the match on the big screen for an overflow of fans. Additional suites for companies and dignitaries. And entertainment tailored to the countries playing that day. Of course neither of the two may draw much interest with FIFA, just some selling points for the city.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:02 pm And does FIFA really care about the Midwest? They want what is best for the teams and fans and in the past that meant the least amount of travel for the players and fans. Being the only Midwest host city may put the city at a disadvantage.
If the last several World Cups are indication, FIFA does want to spread out locations throughout the host country(ies). They placed games for the Brazil World Cup in central cities of Manaus and Cuiba.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:29 am ...The rebuilding and cleaning up the I-70 corridor between downtown and the stadiums (including decking 670) and making sure the vacant Adams Mark Hotel is not a deteriorating mess should be done at the very least.
I saw someone post this week that the City is looking into buying the Adams Mark for a homeless transition facility.
...While it debates the pallet homes, Kansas City is also exploring longer-term solutions for those experiencing homelessness. Among the approaches:

Housing Trust Fund. The Council plans to provide $12.5 million in stimulus money to jump-start an affordable housing trust fund and is seeking feedback on the best ways to spend that money.

$1 houses. The city is seeking proposals to rehabilitate Land Bank houses and also is partnering with various neighborhoods to build more single-family homes on vacant lots.

Renovating old schools and hotels. One possibility is the Adams Mark Hotel near the stadiums.

“We are looking at converting unused hotels and schools into permanent housing,” Platt told the Council on June 24. “We’ve been approached by multiple hotel owners and other property owners who have unused or underutilized facilities that we could convert into housing and at minimal cost of conversion.”
https://www.kcur.org/news/2021-07-01/ka ... melessness
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:53 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:29 am ...The rebuilding and cleaning up the I-70 corridor between downtown and the stadiums (including decking 670) and making sure the vacant Adams Mark Hotel is not a deteriorating mess should be done at the very least.
I saw someone post this week that the City is looking into buying the Adams Mark for a homeless transition facility.

I was hoping for it to be restored as a decent hotel property. I'm all for the city finding solutions for the homeless, but that would be a pretty big stain on the area to turn the most prominent building near the stadiums area into a homeless shelter. There is no way that building would not look like hell in just a few years. Not to mention, it means there will be almost no place to stay near the stadiums for out of towners.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

it has looked bad for a long time. Doesn't really matter. There isn't much for out-of-towners to do near the stadiums. If they are gonna visit KC, have them stay downtown and get a good impression.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If Wikipedia is right, it’s a good thing it closed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam%27s_Mark
History section
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

flyingember wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:39 pm If Wikipedia is right, it’s a good thing it closed

History section
Why is it a good thing and why would people not care that it's not restored into a proper hotel. Much of the KC area is run down when driving around the metro. Highways, bridges, and whatever is built up along side them is often old or deteriorating. The stadiums area is a destination area and the I-70 corridor is a main entry point into the city. The area around the stadiums has never been great, but it's starting to just look bad. Just a few boarded up or low grade motels/hotels now and super low density almost rural sprawl with under utilized industrial mixed in.

Not sure why this bugs, me, but having the largest and tallest building and most prominent building when in the stadium fall into such decay is just a sad look for the city. I personally home somebody comes in and turns it back into a decent hotel.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It couldn’t be restored into a proper hotel if it doesn’t close.
The brand failed, it was the last hotel of it’s type.

You hit the nail on the head why there’s talks to build downtown.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:57 pm
flyingember wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:39 pm If Wikipedia is right, it’s a good thing it closed

History section
Why is it a good thing and why would people not care that it's not restored into a proper hotel. Much of the KC area is run down when driving around the metro. Highways, bridges, and whatever is built up along side them is often old or deteriorating. The stadiums area is a destination area and the I-70 corridor is a main entry point into the city. The area around the stadiums has never been great, but it's starting to just look bad. Just a few boarded up or low grade motels/hotels now and super low density almost rural sprawl with under utilized industrial mixed in.

Not sure why this bugs, me, but having the largest and tallest building and most prominent building when in the stadium fall into such decay is just a sad look for the city. I personally home somebody comes in and turns it back into a decent hotel.
I wonder if the demise of the Adams Mark is related to KC's renovated downtown? The Adam's Mark was once a choice hotel for people coming to KC to see a football or baseball game but there has never really been that much to do in that area and not many restaurants (one of KC's bigger development failures was not including the stadium area in an overall development plan like the Legends area has done). Personally, if it was me visiting KC under those circumstances in the 80's and 90's, I would have opted for the Plaza hotels. In the last 20 years, options for staying downtown have increased greatly and downtown, the River Market and the Crossroads have grown into quite a tourist attraction. Not really sure why anyone would opt to stay at the Adam's Mark these days even if it was in good shape.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:08 pm
GRID wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:57 pm

History section

I wonder if the demise of the Adams Mark is related to KC's renovated downtown? The Adam's Mark was once a choice hotel for people coming to KC to see a football or baseball game but there has never really been that much to do in that area and not many restaurants (one of KC's bigger development failures was not including the stadium area in an overall development plan like the Legends area has done). Personally, if it was me visiting KC under those circumstances in the 80's and 90's, I would have opted for the Plaza hotels. In the last 20 years, options for staying downtown have increased greatly and downtown, the River Market and the Crossroads have grown into quite a tourist attraction. Not really sure why anyone would opt to stay at the Adam's Mark these days even if it was in good shape.
I get all that. Most people do and should stay in the city for a better experience. That's no excuse that the metro can't support a few decent freaking hotels by the stadiums. To me, the area around the stadiums just looks bad. And if KC is serious about hosting the world cup, it really should be cleaned up a little and the city/county should look into having at least one mid sized decent hotel that is not a PITA to get to from the stadiums.

KC doesn't even have "that" many hotels downtown and KC has other suburban hotel districts like KCI and Overland Park. At least turn it into apartments lol. IDK, just tired of how depressing parts of KC are when driving around and the stadiums area sadly one of those areas. And it shouldn't be. Just because the stadiums are not downtown doesn't mean the area around them has to be shit.

Would probably help people that do stay in the area if blue ridge had freaking sidewalks like a developed city should...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:08 pm Not really sure why anyone would opt to stay at the Adam's Mark these days even if it was in good shape.
I've said the same thing about the Intercontinental.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Nashville feeling very negative about their World Cup outlook and chances. Local newspaper rips them.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 216055002/
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Sounds like a good example of what KC should not do. We have a lot going for us too, but again the deck is stacked. Lack of transit, hotels, small market, etc. We definitely have a more organized cohesive story and desire than Nashville appears to based upon that article.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It seems like, based off reading articles on World Cup the last few months, that FIFA has decided to go with 11 US host cities. MLS.com, Wiki, and every major newspaper is consistently saying 11 cities will host.

For KC, difference between 10 & 11 hosts could legitimately be the difference for them.