World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by shaffe »

If FIFA cared even a little bit about human rights then they would've pulled the 2022 World Cup out of Qatar years ago.

beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by beautyfromashes »

shaffe wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:44 pm
If FIFA cared even a little bit about human rights then they would've pulled the 2022 World Cup out of Qatar years ago.
And Russia in 2018.

Anthony_Hugo98
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:17 pm
shaffe wrote:
And Russia in 2018.
It’s obvious major sports industries only care about human rights abuses, or perceived “abuses”, only when it’s in a first world nation in the west. The olympic committee has proved this the past decade or so, and powers on with Chinas Winter Olympics hosting.
For all my military brothers and sisters out there, thanks for paving the way, ill do my best! AIRBORNE!

shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:01 am
beautyfromashes wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:17 pm
shaffe wrote:
And Russia in 2018.
It’s obvious major sports industries only care about human rights abuses, or perceived “abuses”, only when it’s in a first world nation in the west. The olympic committee has proved this the past decade or so, and powers on with Chinas Winter Olympics hosting.
Also FIFA and the IOC are two of the absolute trashiest organizations on this planet.

phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Nobody really cares about human rights, it's just a handy thing to wave around when it suits someone's real purpose (which, in FIFA's case, is to make money), but if FIFA doesn't award you the World Cup because of your state's cruel, bigoted legislation, FIFA is not the bad guy (uhhh, in this one very specific situation), regardless of their lack of sincerity.

im2kull
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by im2kull »

phuqueue wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:39 pm
...because of your state's cruel, bigoted legislation
Explain. Without hypocrisy, please.

normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by normalthings »

phuqueue wrote:
Nobody really cares about human rights, it's just a handy thing to wave around when it suits someone's real purpose (which, in FIFA's case, is to make money), but if FIFA doesn't award you the World Cup because of your state's cruel, bigoted legislation, FIFA is not the bad guy (uhhh, in this one very specific situation), regardless of their lack of sincerity.
I think the idea is more that FIFA is saying it's an important issue but would have to reject some of the best candidates. Really doubt they will do that.

phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Agree that FIFA will probably not reject otherwise-good candidate cities and leave money on the table over its fake concern about human rights, so it's probably a moot point, but I was getting the impression that, in the event that KC gets rejected on these grounds, people in this thread were going to be annoyed at FIFA, which I think would be the wrong reaction. My bad if I misunderstood and that isn't really what anyone meant.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:05 pm
phuqueue wrote:
I think the idea is more that FIFA is saying it's an important issue but would have to reject some of the best candidates. Really doubt they will do that.
It’s more sponsors. It’s hard to explain, but FIFA sponsors care more at home than they do in authoritarian countries.

Qatar simply won’t allow protests, but in the us you’ll have big campaigns for years.

It’s hard to get people motivated about foreign workers in Qatar but people will mobilize here quickly.

Basically, these companies don’t want to spend four years being asked about trans rights.

normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennes ... 219254002

Tennessee bill moves on to Governor that require 30 day notice before bringing up lgbtq in the classroom.

normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by normalthings »

KC will host the CONCAF Cup this July. KC will see games from the US Men's National Team, Canada, and Martinique. Per the release, FIFA ranks the US as #20 in the world right now. This is a good time to see them for cheap and close to home. Tickets go on sale tomorrow.

Also in July, FIFA will be visiting KC to inspect infrastructure and facilities. I do wonder if they will visit one of the games.

droopy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by droopy »

Is this the same US men’s team that didn’t qualify for the Olympics? Not being snarky, I’m not sure if there are different levels/teams etc. Curious how they’re ranked 20 while recently missing out on the Olympics

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by WoodDraw »

droopy wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:59 pm
Is this the same US men’s team that didn’t qualify for the Olympics? Not being snarky, I’m not sure if there are different levels/teams etc. Curious how they’re ranked 20 while recently missing out on the Olympics
No, the olympics are an under-23 team so to not compete with the World Cup. It’s still embarrassing not to qualify.

The USMNT has not done well lately at any level.

droopy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by droopy »

Thanks for the reply. My wife is a big SKC fan and we watched the tournament when the men didn’t qualify for the Olympics, I didn’t realize they were U23. I like watching as background noise but obviously am not a superfan.

I do remember going to a World Cup game at Foxboro stadium in 1994 (I had to look up the year). It was a couple small counties with not so competitive teams and the atmosphere was incredible. Put a pre-Brady Patriots game to shame. It would be a huge win for KC