New York City

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

New York City

Post by KCDowntown »

I was in NYC over the weekend.  I didn't have as much time to take pictures as I would have liked,  but I uploaded a couple that I liked.  I'm ready to go back after I get some more experience with my camera.

KCDowntown

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New York City

Post by chrizow »

cool photos. 

thoughts about the city?
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

very cool, thanks for the pics.  looks like you're handling the camera pretty well from that sampling.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

What kind of camera do you use?
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

My thoughts on NYC:

I think NY is the greatest place in the world.  The sheer number of people that you see always amazes me; whether it is at 3 in the afternoon or 3 in the morning.  The variety of langauges and people in such a small space give NYC an international character that you can't find anywhere else in America.  Where I think that Chicago is a very American place, I think that NYC is a world place.

For this trip I stayed at my step-brother's place in Queens.  The buliding stock and type reminded me a little bit of the west plaza.  It was just solid rows of smallish apartment buildings on tree-lined streets(although the NY buildings were a couple of stories taller).  We were about 3 blocks from a elevated subway stop that was about 15 minutes from Manhattan.

The whole trip was pretty rushed we left on late afternoon Friday.  I only had about 2 hours on Saturday solely dedicated to taking pictures.  We ate sushi twice, my parents bought some art from a relative that lives in NYC, saw my step-brother perform at the Brooklyn Acamedy of Music, saw Spamalot, saw the Upright Citizen Brigade Sunday night free improv show, had adult beverages at just about every turn, froze out butts off on Sunday, and showed back up in KC Monday afternoon.  I am ready to go back.

One note: in the bars in NYC and in Brooklyn too there is a no smoking policy.  While I don't really agree with legislating that no one can smoke at a bar(I'd rather leave it up to the bar owner), it was real nice not to walk out of every bar smelling like a pool hall.

The camera is a Canon Digital Rebel XT that I got about a month ago.  So far I really like it. Being able to see pictures on the back panel (and being able to trash them) makes it so much easier to learn about apertures, shutter speeds, and ISO film types (which the camera simulates). So far it has been worth every penny (and it saves money from not having to develop crappy pics).

KCDowntown
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Thanks for the pics

I have never been and wanna go so bad..
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Hey, I was in Manhattan last weekend too!  Damn was it ever cold and windy.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I was in Manhattan when I was like 17, stood on top of the World Trade Center, and didn't have the sense enough at the time to appreciate it all the way I would now.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

Last trip I took to NY was awesome, but super cold!  I have fond memories of my wife and I trying to get a cab in the heavy snow after several free shots at tortilla flats...ugh.  However, the city was shut down the next day so we went for a long walk through the streets in the knee high snow....strangely peaceful...nobody for blocks...similar to KC a few years ago. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can't believe this City Trip Report topic is SO dead.

Here's a new anthem for my beloved New York City, performed by Alicia Keys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYmmh9zkpQM
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

And, here's the hip-hop version Alicia Keys did with Jay-Z.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjsXo9l6I8
There is no fifth destination.