I get 1 dinner in San Diego, Suggestions? Lunch?

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

I get 1 dinner in San Diego, Suggestions? Lunch?

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Going on a very brief business trip to San Diego next week. I've planned the flight so that I'll get 1 dinner on my own, any suggestions on where to go? I will likely get two lunches on my own, I'll take suggestions there too if anyone has any.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: I get 1 dinner in San Diego, Suggestions? Lunch?

Post by AllThingsKC »

Nothing says "San Diego" like a restaurant called, "Kansas City Barbecue."

Kansas City Barbecue
600 W Harbor Dr.
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 231-9680

http://www.kcbbq.net/
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Kansas City Barbecue, for all its novelty, pretty much blows unless you're really into Top Gun. You're better off walking down to the Midway and eating at the snack bar.

My San Diego suggestions would have to include Pizza Port in OB, KNB Wine Cellars, and The Brigantine in La Mesa (fish tacos!). Karl Strauss in Little Italy has OK food, but their beer sucks. The Riviera is cool if you want to cook your own steak at a large communal grill (also, bacon fat popcorn!). As you probably can guess, there's not much worth your time in the gaslamp except watching tourists eat at Hooters or whatever.

Oh, and Hash House a Go-Go is pretty darn good, too. I think it might have been on one of those Guy Fieri shows, and historically I've not been very impressed with the crap he's proclaimed to be good on TV, but I liked Hash House. Kind of a San Diego Succotash.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Hash House a Go-Go use to be at Legends, i never made it when it was here.

When I'm in San Diego I always love going to South Beach Bar & Grille in Ocean Beach, they have some really great fish tacos, they are pretty good sized ones. Hodads is another place on the same block as South Beach, its really popular but never really liked it. I really like Ocean Beach, its kind of the divey/dumpy beach of san diego but always enjoy it when i'm there.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/south-beach-bar ... each%20bar
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Ramiros in PB is where you should go for that 3am burrito (California Burrito always hits the spot) :D

brewcrew1000 wrote: When I'm in San Diego I always love going to South Beach Bar & Grille in Ocean Beach, they have some really great fish tacos, they are pretty good sized ones. Hodads is another place on the same block as South Beach, its really popular but never really liked it. I really like Ocean Beach, its kind of the divey/dumpy beach of san diego but always enjoy it when i'm there.

I second this as well. OB was my haunt when I was in SD. All my recommendations would lead you to somewhere in OB.

3rd Corner in OB is a nice wine bar/bistro.

I will admit though, my list of dining out places in SD is pretty narrow. When I lived there I was more in the "where is a good place to get a drink" age...now that, i can help you with.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think we can all agree, then, that OB is a good place to go. I haven't been to SB Bar & Grill, but OB seems in general to kind of be a good spot for vaguely divey but very good little local spots with good beer. I actually didn't eat at Pizza Port (although, man, those pizzas looked awesome!) but their beer was excellent.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

mean wrote:...OB seems in general to kind of be a good spot for vaguely divey but very good little local spots with good beer.
spot on
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

At pizza port right now, excellent recommendation Mean! Just what I needed after getting up at 4 am and just now eating lunch.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Sweet! Glad you like it!