IOWA CITY, MINNEAPOLIS, ST. PAUL, WALKER MN, AND BEYOND

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

IOWA CITY, MINNEAPOLIS, ST. PAUL, WALKER MN, AND BEYOND

Post by warwickland »

IOWA

ImageImage

IOWA CITY
ImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ST. PAUL, MINNESOTA

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImageImage

CENTRAL CORRIDOR LIGHT RAIL CONSTRUCTION ON UNIVERSITY AVE

ImageImageImage

MINNEAPOLIS

...FUN TO RIDE BUT WOULDN'T WANT FRIENDS TO SEE ME ON OR DON'T CARE YOU CHOOSE ADVENTURE...

NORTH OF DOWNTOWN ACROSS THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER

"NORDEAST"

*YES YES YES*

ImageImage

BACK ACROSS THE RIVER

LOOPED BACK DOWNTOWN

NORTHBOUND

ImageImageImage

]WALKER, MINNESOTA

SOURCE OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: IOWA CITY, MINNEAPOLIS, ST. PAUL, WALKER MN, AND BEYOND

Post by warwickland »

some of the neighborhoods of minneapolis as well as st. paul had a vaguely kansas city like feel. if kansas city had a bigger brother, it might be minneapolis/st. paul. kansas city is kind of like both minneapolis and st. paul together in a way.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i agree that KC feels very similar. if the "active" parts of broadway and main were pushed further north, they would have a definite "hennepin/lyndale" relationship to downtown ("uptown KC?"). to me the main/broadway corridor feels a lot like Uptown mpls, although midtown KC likely declined much further and now is more iffy.

i liked that in mpls there were a few 35-story weird commie-block towers outside of downtown, looming over random neighborhoods like eat street (or whatever).
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

On another thread Grid insists that KC is most similar to Cincinnati which i don't really see. I posted in that thread that KC is a lot like the Twin Cities, having went up to school in Minnesota I thought the two places have a lot of similarities

http://www.city-data.com/forum/kansas-c ... ar-kc.html
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chrizow wrote:
i liked that in mpls there were a few 35-story weird commie-block towers outside of downtown, looming over random neighborhoods like eat street (or whatever).
Pretty sure those towers you are talking about are over by Augsburg University. I think its student apartments or some kind of dorms

Are these the buildings your talking about
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=augsburg ... 21,,0,8.59
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah and also there are a couple near warwickland's photo of kramarczuk's.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

brewcrew1000 wrote:On another thread Grid insists that KC is most similar to Cincinnati which i don't really see. I posted in that thread that KC is a lot like the Twin Cities, having went up to school in Minnesota I thought the two places have a lot of similarities

http://www.city-data.com/forum/kansas-c ... ar-kc.html
I think there are some superfical similarities between Cincy and KC, like metro size and a deco tower(s), but St. Louis and Cincy, once you strip away the geography and the urban renewal (if thats possible) in St. Louis, are far more cut from the same cloth. Both cities have strikingly similar vernaculars and insular social, religious/educational, and culinary quirks.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

So flat compared to KC. Other than that, those pics looked very KC like. Those bike trails look like fun! (though maybe not too scenic)
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

warwickland wrote: I think there are some superfical similarities between Cincy and KC, like metro size and a deco tower(s), but St. Louis and Cincy, once you strip away the geography and the urban renewal (if thats possible) in St. Louis, are far more cut from the same cloth. Both cities have strikingly similar vernaculars and insular social, religious/educational, and culinary quirks.
I'm on record as disagreeing. I think there is a persuasive argument that culturally StL:Cleveland = KC:Cincy.

I wish Columbia was our Columbus.

But more to the point, I wish KC had more in common with Minneapolis than it does.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chingon wrote:
warwickland wrote: I think there are some superfical similarities between Cincy and KC, like metro size and a deco tower(s), but St. Louis and Cincy, once you strip away the geography and the urban renewal (if thats possible) in St. Louis, are far more cut from the same cloth. Both cities have strikingly similar vernaculars and insular social, religious/educational, and culinary quirks.
I'm on record as disagreeing. I think there is a persuasive argument that culturally StL:Cleveland = KC:Cincy.
I actually feel like the housing stock in Cleveland looks more like KC (where it is intact in Cleveland), and anecdotally I feel the people are friendlier in Cleveland than Cincy...KC isn't so easily compared to cities in Ohio, though, really. Plains cities (of which I lump KC in) are different animals than Ohio River valley type cities (which I feel like St. Louis is an outlier of culturally and even architecturally), and Great Lakes cities (KC seems to have some similarities with Great Lakes type cities just as much as river cities).

As well, Cincinnati is older than Cleveland, just as St. Louis is older than Kansas City. I don't think you can really do an urban Missouri to urban Ohio comparison that is remotely close unless you are just talking about St. Louis.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

warwickland wrote:
I actually feel like the housing stock in Cleveland looks more like KC (where it is intact in Cleveland), and anecdotally I feel the people are friendlier in Cleveland than Cincy...KC isn't so easily compared to cities in Ohio, though, really. Plains cities (of which I lump KC in) are different animals than Ohio River valley type cities (which I feel like St. Louis is an outlier of culturally and even architecturally), and Great Lakes cities (KC seems to have some similarities with Great Lakes type cities just as much as river cities).
Totally agree about the housing stock and the architectural relationship with KC and the great lakes cities, but culturally Cleveland has the more brawny, industrial, enclavey history, with the same kind of population slip chip-on-shoulder that StL has and the history of being the big dominant city in the state. Cincy and KC have the same little-brother/country cousin syndrome, the same strange rednecky undercurrent, the same dominant neutral white ethnicities, and the same political atmosphere and suburban/urban ratios...just separated by about 50-75 years of development. As I pointed out before, north of McMillian and throughout its most successful urban hoods (Clifton, Hyde Park), Cincy looks a lot more like KC than either Cleveland or StL.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Hyde Park Cincy has a lot of homes that look straight from Clayton, Clifton Heights (StL City), or Maplewood here, too. Parts of Clayton and parts of St. Louis County also happen to feel a little like Kansas City in my opinion, architecturally and "street feel." Parts of North County feel straight like from the Eastside. So i'm not in disagreement that there are similarities to between Cincy and KC.

Here's a comparison of different areas.

http://www.cincinnatiohrealestate.net/i ... orhood.jpg

http://stlouispatina.files.wordpress.co ... nel007.jpg

They ask you where you went to high school in Cincy.
Last edited by warwickland on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Maybe Cincy is lacking a "heavy" type urban aura, I think that the topography plays into that. Cincy comes off feeling remarkably "light" for an old river city, really. KC comes off the same way kind of, although it feels heavier than it's "doppleganger" Indy. St. Louis is strewn with old infrastructure with a topography that isn't flattering to neglect, somewhat similar to Cleveland, although Cleveland has a more varied topography than it's given credit for, just like St. Louis.

We could play this game for months probably.