miami beach, florida

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

miami beach, florida

Post by warwickland »

Miami Beach, Florida

Miami Beach, Florida is my new best friend. Theres of course the beach, the beach ladies, and the cliche nightlife on ocean blvd. Theres also a more thoughtful, warm, caring, high brow alcoholic dive bar side of Miami Beach. There is also urban grit, and mom and pop restaurants and businesses (which i did a fail job of photoing). There is people from across the globe, and too many Germans. Theres all kinds of shopping...and it's all dense and theres no need for a car. In essence, there is a lot for everyone, and I loved it. Now for the craptastic photography.

Last edited by warwickland on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: miami beach, florida

Post by grovester »

great stuff.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

And Burn Notice.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

bonus photos

Last edited by warwickland on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

shinatoo wrote: And Burn Notice.
My favorite show! Can't wait for June, when the new season starts.

Enjoyed the pics! Thanks for posting. The best one was of the attractive couple. I love close-ups of faces. Looks like you had a great trip.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Roanoker wrote: My favorite show! Can't wait for June, when the new season starts.

Enjoyed the pics! Thanks for posting. The best one was of the attractive couple. I love close-ups of faces. Looks like you had a great trip.
never heard of burn notice (haven't had cable for a while). attractive couple? thank you!  :D
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i love miami beach. it's the only place worth visiting in an otherwise awful state. thanks for sharing!
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

DaveKCMO wrote: i love miami beach. it's the only place worth visiting in an otherwise awful state. thanks for sharing!
You're welcome. Urban east coasters love the place, there's a conversation, amazing or terrible, always waiting somewhere. Then there's the beautiful beach - like I said something for everyone.
Last edited by warwickland on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

DaveKCMO wrote:i love miami beach. it's the only place worth visiting in an otherwise awful state. thanks for sharing!
Never been to Miami Beach, but urban Tampa is pretty cool. Worth at least a couple days of checking out, in my opinion, for what it's worth.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Miami beach has been undergoing a general un-seedifying process for the past 20-30 some years.  I remember it in the late 90's when it was still very grungy around the corners and kind of dirty (not the kind of place i wanted to be walking around in flip flops away from the beach).  I'd hate to have visited a few years previous.  The ocean facing street (forget its name) was glitzy, but the further you went from the ocean side the more the area showed its art deco age and generally poorer feel (i remember the crappy electronics stores, busted up sidewalks and garbage laying around that reminded me of going to the beach in New York City).  I remember being surprised, because when you think of Miami Beach, you think of glitz (at least i did).  Didn't realize it was actually kind of ghetto :lol:

Last time i went ( a couple of years ago?) i didn't get much of a chance to walk around.  Too many f-ing people and nowhere to PARK!!!   :P

I was surprised by the massive luxury hotels and condos being built farther north though.

Great pictures! definitely makes me want to go back and actually explore the area more as it exists today since the older areas actually have a really nice sense of scale in the buildings and the streets (not to mention all the great art deco, which i would appreciate more today).
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

warwickland wrote: Urban east coasters love the place,
That's the downside - obnoxious New Yorkers/New Jerseyites coming out of the woodwork.  I can tolerate "those people" in their natural setting but by god they ruin everywhere else they go. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Burn Notice is the most popular show on the USA Network (which is channel 39 on Time Warner Cable in Kansas City).

The show is about a burned spy, who was dropped from his government agency without notice or explanation, and he has to fend for himself while trying to figure out why he was "burned."
There is no fifth destination.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote: Burn Notice is the most popular show on the USA Network (which is channel 39 on Time Warner Cable in Kansas City).

The show is about a burned spy, who was dropped from his government agency without notice or explanation, and he has to fend for himself while trying to figure out why he was "burned."
It's like a contemporary 80's spy show. Part A-Team, Part McGiver, part Miami Vice. That doesn't do it justice, but it's awesome and it has Bruce Campbell so it's double awesome.
Last edited by shinatoo on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Club Deuce is one of the best bars down there..loved every minute of the place
P&L Free since 2008
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: That's the downside - obnoxious New Yorkers/New Jerseyites coming out of the woodwork.  I can tolerate "those people" in their natural setting but by god they ruin everywhere else they go. 
I fortunately had a more balanced experience. I had the obnouxiousers, but also some interesting artists caught with their egos down.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Bumping my own thread! Can't wait to go back to one of the most underrated beach spots for urban minded people! Missing that south florida air and the cuban diners.

unkche unkche unkche!

Only 4 months to go...
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.