Kansas City at Thanksgiving

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Kansas City at Thanksgiving

Post by Highlander »

I was up in KC at Thanksgiving.  While I have no pictures to show, I was really impressed by how well the city seemed to be doing in spite of a sagging local economy.  The Plaza was packed on all three of my visits (including the night of Thanksgiving for the lighting ceremony).  On each occasion,  I was surprised how many non-residents were down there (given the license plates in the car parks) and how many people were out taking photos; I haven't see that before on the Plaza.  Restaurants were also packed although two places I really wanted to try were closed.   One of these was the Peachtree downtown which was closed for lunch the day after Thanksgiving.  Thought about trying out Frans but the place has absolutely no visual appeal.  We ate at Gordon Biersch instead and really enjoyed it; their seasonal beer is pretty good.  Also went into Cosentino's Market, very nice place which reminded me of the large upscale food markets inside urban European department stores and it was doing a pretty brisk business for the day after Thanksgiving.   My kids, both of which grew up in Europe and have been unappreciative of the city to date, decided that KC was actually a pretty great place afterall (but it took living the last 6 months in Houston TX for KC to earn that appreciation).  

On the downside, it took us nearly an hour to get out from the bottom level of the parking garage beneath the Lockton building after the lighting ceremony.  Didn't mind the wait so much but the braindead people there left their cars running the entire time when it was obvious that the ventilation fans were not turned on.  Dangerous situation.  The defunct development project on the west side of the Plaza was another downer; it could become a festering pillar of blight if they can't find someone to step up to the plate and finish the project; a real potential derailer for the area.

Great trip, except for the drive back.      
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Kansas City at Thanksgiving

Post by staubio »

Highlander wrote: I was up in KC at Thanksgiving.  While I have no pictures to show, I was really impressed by how well the city seemed to be doing in spite of a sagging local economy.  The Plaza was packed on all three of my visits (including the night of Thanksgiving for the lighting ceremony).  On each occasion,  I was surprised how many non-residents were down there (given the license plates in the car parks) and how many people were out taking photos; I haven't see that before on the Plaza.  Restaurants were also packed although two places I really wanted to try were closed.   One of these was the Peachtree downtown which was closed for lunch the day after Thanksgiving.  Thought about trying out Frans but the place has absolutely no visual appeal.  We ate at Gordon Biersch instead and really enjoyed it; their seasonal beer is pretty good.  Also went into Cosentino's Market, very nice place which reminded me of the large upscale food markets inside urban European department stores and it was doing a pretty brisk business for the day after Thanksgiving.   My kids, both of which grew up in Europe and have been unappreciative of the city to date, decided that KC was actually a pretty great place afterall (but it took living the last 6 months in Houston TX for KC to earn that appreciation). 

On the downside, it took us nearly an hour to get out from the bottom level of the parking garage beneath the Lockton building after the lighting ceremony.  Didn't mind the wait so much but the braindead people there left their cars running the entire time when it was obvious that the ventilation fans were not turned on.  Dangerous situation.

Great trip, except for the drive back.     
I've always felt like KC exuded the Christmas spirit around this time, with the Mayor's Christmas Tree, the Plaza Lights, the sing-along at Union Station, etc. I successfully lobbied my family to come to KC for Thanksgiving for a few years before I lost the bid to Nebraska again. Sorta feels like the Big XII tournament.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: On the downside, it took us nearly an hour to get out from the bottom level of the parking garage beneath the Lockton building after the lighting ceremony.  Didn't mind the wait so much but the braindead people there left their cars running the entire time when it was obvious that the ventilation fans were not turned on.  Dangerous situation.   
Plaza lighting ceremony pro-tip in case you make in back in future years - park somewhere up or down the MAX line and bus it in.  You may not ultimately save a load of time but it is a heck of a lot less frustrating than sitting in the car and staring at tailights while everyone sits and waits for parking to appear.  Also ideal for the Art Fair. 
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Do they have the Large model train display this year at Union Station?
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yep, saw it tonite, but most of it wasn't moving :(