Hawaii, February 2008

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Hawaii, February 2008

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Thanks Roanoker for the pictures again.

I don't know if I should be glad or worried about having thousands of dollars already invested in the trip considering how bad American Airlines is doing right now along with all the other airlines.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Roanoker wrote: Image
My favorite!!!!  =D>
KC is the way to be!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

KansasCityChiefs wrote: Thanks Roanoker for the pictures again.

I don't know if I should be glad or worried about having thousands of dollars already invested in the trip considering how bad American Airlines is doing right now along with all the other airlines.
Be thrilled at the prospect of basking in the delights of Hawaii. Don't give potential airline difficulties another thought! It will work out favorably for you.

And thank you for looking at and kindly commenting on my pictures. Fussing with and sharing them greatly enhance the entire experience.

ATKC~ That shot was taken from a hotel room. It's not hard to get good pictures in such a beautiful place.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

It is the next day, February 14, 2008. (Happy Valentine's Day!) It was time to leave Maui and fly to Kauai. (Sounds like Hawaii with a K.)

Leaving Maui.

This is Honolulu, on the island of Oahu. You have to go to the Honolulu airport to reach any of the other islands.

Not sure where this is, but I like the silver sea. I think we were approaching Kauai.

Getting ready to land.

I guess it's Kauai.

We stayed at the Sheraton. I walked around the grounds and took pictures. Duh.

The inevitable flowers.

These really were tiny.

This kind be everywhere.

In different colors.

I named this one "Real Flower" because I did nothing to the picture (except crop it to post here), but it almost looks fake.

Actually, I didn't use any Photoshop tools on any of these flower pictures.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

It is evening in Kauai on 2/14/08, and I'm still walking around the Sheraton grounds taking pictures.

This was the view from my son's balcony.

And this was the other side.

On the path

I'm ready to go back.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Did you cry when you left Maui?  I would have.
KC is the way to be!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

AllThingsKC wrote: Did you cry when you left Maui?  I would have.
I suppose I would have if that had been all she wrote, but I still had Kauai and The Big Island ahead. They were wonderful, too.

At the Honolulu airport, as we waited to fly back to Maui and on back to Kansas City, I chatted with a suntanned, in-great-shape man. Roanoker: "So, what do you do for a living?" Man: "I'm a Maui hiking guide."

Nice job. Envious.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Same night. Same grounds.

This restaurant "sign" was light projected onto the floor.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The last is just...    ...awesome!
KC is the way to be!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Ro - what kind of aspect ratio does your Nikon have? Your photos seem to be different than the 3:2 aspect ratio I've been accustomed to with Canon.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Thanks, ATKC.
Tosspot wrote: Ro - what kind of aspect ratio does your Nikon have? Your photos seem to be different than the 3:2 aspect ratio I've been accustomed to with Canon.
My Nikon D70 has the same aspect ratio as your Canon, 3:2 (at 300dpi), but I always crop the pictures I select for computer-screen display to 4:3, at 72dpi. The original pictures are 3000x2000 pixels, and my "dumbed down" versions are 1152x864 pixels (16x12 inches). They get reduced even further when I upload them to the Opera photo site to 640x480 pixels, which is about right for the forum. (They do give you a choice.) I also put all the cropped pictures (from vacations since 2005, including Grand Canyon, Disney World, Branson, and now Hawaii) into a 4:3 digital frame I keep on my desk at work, holding probably over 700 pictures so far.

It's funny how my coworkers are now thinking about maybe going to Hawaii sometime just because of these pictures.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Excellent pictures, brings back good memories.  We were married on Anini Beach, Kauai in May of 05.  I really liked the laidback atmosphere on Kauai compared to the Big Island.  But after two weeks the smallness of the island was getting to me.  Next time I will relax more and enjoy the natural beauty. 
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

cknab1 wrote: Excellent pictures, brings back good memories.  We were married on Anini Beach, Kauai in May of 05.  I really liked the laidback atmosphere on Kauai compared to the Big Island.  But after two weeks the smallness of the island was getting to me.  Next time I will relax more and enjoy the natural beauty. 
What a wonderful place to get married! There is something for everyone on every island. While we enjoyed a helicoptor ride over Kauai, for example, if there is ever a next time, we'll probably fly over the volcanos on The Big Island. It does take time to fly from one island to another. One consideration might be an island-hopping cruise ship.

Go back for one of your anniversaries! #5 isn't far off!  :D
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Excellent Idea.  That is exactly what we are planning to do.  If one needs an excuse to go to Hawaii, a wedding anniversary is a good one.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I love the flowers especially the anthurium and the lantana. I have some of that same lantana in my own yard. I saw a bridal bouquet once of all red anthurium. Beautiful, but it had a risque' touch to it as well. Especially to all the 12 year old boys there.

My favorite Hawaii flower pic of all time was a pic I took of Bird of Paradise growing with impatiens at a golf course we played at. Kind of a blend of the tropics and home.

I always also love the beautiful floral arrangements they have in all the big hotels with every kind of tropical flower imaginable.

My camera doesn't take quite as snazzy pix as yours, but I'm betting the problem is behind the shutter button ;-) 
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

nota wrote: I love the flowers especially the anthurium and the lantana. I have some of that same lantana in my own yard. I saw a bridal bouquet once of all red anthurium. Beautiful, but it had a risque' touch to it as well. Especially to all the 12 year old boys there.

My favorite Hawaii flower pic of all time was a pic I took of Bird of Paradise growing with impatiens at a golf course we played at. Kind of a blend of the tropics and home.

I always also love the beautiful floral arrangements they have in all the big hotels with every kind of tropical flower imaginable.

My camera doesn't take quite as snazzy pix as yours, but I'm betting the problem is behind the shutter button ;-) 
At least, you have a clue as to what kind of flowers are in the pictures. I have no idea. As for who pushes the shutter button, I think it's more a matter of how many times the shutter gets pushed. If you take enough pictures, you are bound to get one or two good ones.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

It is end of day, 2/14/08, on Kauai.

We watched a sailboat slowly drift across the scene.

At this point, the tiny remnant of the sun is green.

Had to sneak in one last flower. This one was on our dinner table. The hotel had a three-course special offer for $49, and you could pick from a variety of salads/appetizers, entrees, and desserts. A wonderful end to a wonderful day.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Roanoker wrote: At least, you have a clue as to what kind of flowers are in the pictures. I have no idea. As for who pushes the shutter button, I think it's more a matter of how many times the shutter gets pushed. If you take enough pictures, you are bound to get one or two good ones.
I just love flowers and growing plants. Raised in a nursery, so I came by it naturally.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

It is the next day, Friday, February 15. Husband, one son, and I got up early to visit a beautiful canyon on Kauai, called Waimea. (Thank goodness I took a picture of the sign. My son knows the spellings, pronunciations, and locations of everything, but he's not here to advise.)

You can see my son walking toward the left in this one.

Oddly, chickens run wild in Kauai, and they are not afraid of people. I guess they like any handouts.

Your mind can trick you into thinking this picture is blurred, as if it were moving. The layers stretch consistently from one "canister" to another. (The formations look like canisters to me.)

The continuity of layers across varied formations amazes me. I like the contrast of the dark foreground.

See  the people at top left? They provide a good sense of scale.

This one shows how we were able to get fairly good pictures.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Wow.  You must have taken thousands of pictures.
KC is the way to be!