Thinking of moving to Washington D.C.

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
HydeParker
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Thinking of moving to Washington D.C.

Post by HydeParker »

ComandanteCero wrote: I have to ask, why DC?  Why not NY, Boston, Chicago, L.A or San Francisco?  Is there a particular reason for DC and not any of these other biggies?
Government law jobs.  Maybe a not-for-profit.  It is not that I want to do a Big Exciting Move so much.  I would be fine in KC if I could just get my career on track.  But it has been 3 years and I do not have anything remotely like what I had planned.  As long as I am still single why not ?
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Just be careful...something like 20% of DC is totaing an STD with them.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

HydeParker wrote: Government law jobs.  Maybe a not-for-profit.  It is not that I want to do a Big Exciting Move so much.  I would be fine in KC if I could just get my career on track.  But it has been 3 years and I do not have anything remotely like what I had planned.  As long as I am still single why not ?
ah, ok, that makes perfect sense. 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What is a good area to get a hotel in dc?  Obviously want close to attractions but also want some sort of life after 5pm for bars, restaurants, etc.

Thanks for the help.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: What is a good area to get a hotel in dc?  Obviously want close to attractions but also want some sort of life after 5pm for bars, restaurants, etc.

Thanks for the help.
I stayed at the Hilton north of Dupont Circle when I was in DC.  Very nice and good location (near subway station, restaurants, not too far from G-Town).

1919 Connecticut Avenue, NW
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: What is a good area to get a hotel in dc?  Obviously want close to attractions but also want some sort of life after 5pm for bars, restaurants, etc.

Thanks for the help.

hotel liason on capitol hill, 475 new jersey avenue nw, also across the street from a hyatt if that is more your taste. right on capitol hill, and 2 blocks from union station metro. good bars and restaurants in union station, as well as a shitload of good irish pubs near by too. and a quick train ride to adams morgan or dupont circle, where, the best bars/clubs/restaurants in the city, in my opinion.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Wow, can't believe I missed this thread!  Good areas for a hotel in DC: Dupont Circle area, Downtown/Chinatown (more expensive), even the convention center area is OK...you can walk to Chinatown area about 3 blocks away and can take the metro anywhere.  There are bars all over the city, but locals mostly go out around U street (not sure of any major hotels around there), Dupont area, and Adams Morgan (also capitol hill, near my work...but there are mostly hill staffers around here...lame).  I think the Hilton in Dupont is a good suggestion.  It is close to all three of those areas.  What kind of price range are you looking for?

And hey, Hyde Parker...you still around?  Did you ever decide what you are gonna do about moving?  Not much affordable here...esp in a cool downtown area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks. Is the area around mt. Vernon square any good?

Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah, that is the convention center.  You are within walking distance to Chinatown and Metro center bars, shops, and restaurants.  Also a cab ride/metro ride away from Dupont, U street, etc.  It is a good location, and that area has a lot of 'affordable' hotels.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Mt. V is in Yellow

Red is Dupont

DT DC and Chinatown are in Blue.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks for the help fellas...can't believe I've made it this long in life w/o being in DC...but it just has never drawn me.

Luckily Prez. O just called and the Lincoln bedroom is open so problem solved.

Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

If you need any additional suggestions you can just hit me up.  Make sure you walk around the area around Chinatown, Spy Museum, Metro Center to see what happens when a city actually decided to integrate a ton of its old storefronts with new development.  Also Don't miss U street and also 14th street.  Get off at the U street metro, walk down to 14th and then walk south to P.  It may seem like you are going into no man's land for part of 14th...but there are some really cool (West X-roads) type places around there.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Chinatown/downtown walk.  (Hope you can read the street names, if not you can probably tell where to go based on the buildings)

Walk from U street Metro to Dupont Metro...don't miss this!  (U to 14th to P to Dupont)

mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

A friend described the weather in DC as being like Siberia in the winter and Liberia in the summer.  In the early 19th century, Congress didn't meet in the summer due to the heat/humidity. 

On the other hand, my sister lives in Potomac MD and one snowy winter day (years ago), her son saw Arnold Schwartzeneger plow their street (the Shivers live nearby).
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

mlind wrote: A friend described the weather in DC as being like Siberia in the winter
It seems like winters here are very mild...esp compared to KC.  Otherwise, the weather is about the same as KC.  It has only snowed about 2 times this winter and it only stuck once.  I have never had school off (when I was in college) and no work off since moving here.  We had one really cold week where it was in the teens...other wise it hovers around mid 30s.  It's been a mild one.
mlind wrote: her son saw Arnold Schwartzeneger plow their street (the Shivers live nearby).
haha, that's funny.  Potomac is tacky, well most of it is (Much like Hallbrook).  Nice setting though.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

haha, that's funny.  Potomac is tacky, well most of it is (Much like Hallbrook).  Nice setting though.
[/quote]

The area where my sister lives in really nice.  The site used to be a girl scout camp and her house backs up to a forested area.  It's very upscale.  They are retiring and plan to split their time between Denver and Florida.  I never thought I'd be related to someone who retired to Florida. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Hehe, sorry hope I didn't offend.  No doubt it is upscale, I just wasn't impressed when my friend drove me around there saying look at these amazing houses!  They seemed like JOCO McMansions.  I prefer Ward Parkway style mansions much more.  :P
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Midtownkid wrote: Hehe, sorry hope I didn't offend.  No doubt it is upscale, I just wasn't impressed when my friend drove me around there saying look at these amazing houses!  They seemed like JOCO McMansions.  I prefer Ward Parkway style mansions much more.   :P
They're nice for McMansions.  But, like you, I do prefer the old robber baron homes.  After all, my grandparents lived in a Louis Curtiss-designed house.  When I was in DC in the mid-90's, my sister took me to see the old Gore mansion that was right on the river.  The property was being subdivided and the house was empty.  Sad. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCPowercat wrote: Thanks for the help fellas...can't believe I've made it this long in life w/o being in DC...but it just has never drawn me.

Luckily Prez. O just called and the Lincoln bedroom is open so problem solved.
DC is awesome for an urbanist.  There are so many great neighborhoods you can have a great time without ever setting foot in a museum, monument, or government edifice.  And is all very human scaled.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

dangerboy wrote: DC is awesome for an urbanist.  There are so many great neighborhoods you can have a great time without ever setting foot in a museum, monument, or government edifice.  And is all very human scaled.
Very true!  I feel very lucky to be here!  During the winter, going to museums seems like a welcomed idea (walking through neighborhoods in the cold is not my favorite thing to do, but I still do it)  With spring coming, I look forward to exploring even more if DC.  I have walked most of it (besides most of the SE beyond the Hill) but I still need to explore the no-as-urban neighborhoods west of Georgetown.  The Museums here are undeniable amazing too!  I Love going to the art museums and seeing very similar pieces from the same artists at the Nelson and Kemper and say Oh, we have something smiler in KC!  It's a fun game.  Makes me remember how great our KC museums are, too!