Crossroads Grocery Store

longknock
Pad site
Pad site

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by longknock »

I am very interested in a grocery chain leasing space in the area south of the downtown loop. Where would be the ideal location? Who would be the ideal grocery chain? Who do you contact at Pricechopper? Etc.

My suggestion - I like the idea of building a parking garage with the grocery store occupying the lower level (whomever suggested it on this site?). In fact, there is a parking garage slated for development (EDC Projects 12 & 13) at the Rainen Bldg 117th West 20th Street. I think I'll give Mike Rainen a call and see if he's interested? Wachathink?
Longknock
Matt Wells
RPT Commercial
(913)515-7245 mobile
wellsmjaaz@everestkc.net
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by QueSi2Opie »

The ideal grocery would have subsurface parking, surface shopping, multi-level housing above the store. We can dream of Price Choppers, Super Targets, Walmarts...but we'll probably get an Aldi's.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by tat2kc »

how about at 18th, between baltimore and main. in the location of the old TWA building. I think there is a picture of the building somewhere on here, its old, lots of windows, red trim, butt-ugly. But not a price chopper, i want a whole foods!!!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by KCPowercat »

for those living in crossroads....would you be against a grocery store inside the loop....that is, would you still want one in the tWA building (great idea)?

I just don't know if 2 would be built and with the numbers of people living in the loop and city market, I'm thinking I'd rather have the store inside the loop.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by tat2kc »

as a crossroads resident: inside the loop would be great too. There is a small neighborhood market going in near YJ's as it is, so the basics will be taken care of there. A bigger store in the loop would be great, my request would be for it to be close to the BRT line.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by KCPowercat »

tat...exactly what I was thinking.

longknock
Pad site
Pad site

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by longknock »

Anybody know who owns the old TWA Building? What is the BRT line? The bus route? What is a whole foods Tat2kc? Where is YJ's? What about the new Walmart neighborhood concept (applicable?)?
Matt Wells
RPT Commercial
(913)515-7245 mobile
wellsmjaaz@everestkc.net
KCblightking
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by KCblightking »

the old TWA building is owned by Brad Nicholson (The Nicholson Group). They own a significant amount of property in the crossroads (Mainmark, Retro Inferno bldg., etc.)
longknock
Pad site
Pad site

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by longknock »

Thanks KC Blightking! I know how to get in touch with Brad. We'll see what he thinks.
Matt Wells
RPT Commercial
(913)515-7245 mobile
wellsmjaaz@everestkc.net
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by tat2kc »

BRT is the bus rapid transit line, a dedicated, bus line using unique vehicles that run only on that line. Whole Foods is a natural foods store, there is one a the old Glenwood Theatre on Metcalf. YJ's is a small locally owned coffee shop/restaurant at 17th and Wyandotte. Local Harvest is a small grocery going in next to YJ's. I think i'd have to see the walmart neighborhood concept to see if it works. I know one is going in on metcalf.
longknock
Pad site
Pad site

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by longknock »

I was talking to some relatively connected folks yesterday to see if there was any interest and I have it on good word that there is a local chain studying the market and looking for space. I also talked with the appropriate folks at Wal-Mart Realty, but couldn't really tell if they were serious or not. I'm sure its coming and if I had to guess I'd say that by the end of the summer this barrier to the donwtown influx will be gone.
Matt Wells
RPT Commercial
(913)515-7245 mobile
wellsmjaaz@everestkc.net
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by KCPowercat »

mayor stated in her speech she wants one u/c by this time next year.

I want one OPEN in that time.....hopefully a good size store at about 10th & main...seems like a perfect location to me.....close to all loop and even city market housing and a quick bus/brt ride from crown center & crossroads....

put it in the ground level of the new library parking garage.....

anybody have a problem with that location? Have a better one?

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by tat2kc »

That location would be a good one, when you consider the library lofts, the chambers lofts, and the future ones on walnut. Isn't it a bit late tho, to redesign the parking garage to accomodate this type of store?

Much as I like the idea of a park above the underground parking at the Jones Store block, isn't this project early enougth in the planning stage that a retail space could be incorporated fairly easily?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by KCPowercat »

tat...you could be right but then again I don't know how I feel about having a grocery store right next to our tallest building......hell maybe it would be better there, show burb workers in the building what's happening in the core.

Only reason I say that parking garage is because I assume it will have ground level retail in it....hence just let the grocery store have it all.

longknock
Pad site
Pad site

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by longknock »

Is there demand enough for two? One inside the loop and one in Crossroads - ie Rainen's parking garage? What about household items - ie Wal-Mart, etc? Other typical neighborhood services such as gas station, etc. There needs to be a "neighborhood center" with all the services residents need.
Matt Wells
RPT Commercial
(913)515-7245 mobile
wellsmjaaz@everestkc.net
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't see a need for a gas station.....you can get those further south and there's even one on the north side of the loop.

I could see a major grocery store in the loop and smaller ones south and north for the staples like the stores that are already popping up...Garrett's for example in City Market.

longknock
Pad site
Pad site

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by longknock »

I'm of the opinion that there is demand enough for two. The population to the north of say 15th and then to the south. If I lived in River Market, I think I would find it inconvenient to get to the Crossroads to buy groceries? Conversly, if I lived north of 31st, I don't think I would want to drive downtown. Clarified?
Matt Wells
RPT Commercial
(913)515-7245 mobile
wellsmjaaz@everestkc.net
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Crossroads Grocery Store

Post by tat2kc »

The Rainen parking garage might work. I live in the freighthouse lofts, so it would be great for me. I am thinking that they are planning small retail and such in that structure and/or the loft building as it is. I thought I heard a coffe shop, small restaurant and such in the loft building. The plan is to revovate the alley next to the Rainen building as a pedestrian plaza type area, which would be great with Birch Telecom already there and a BCBI there, and the other businesses that back up to the alley. there is a sign up advertising the lofts in the Rainen building, and a for lease sign for retail up as well. Actually, the first floor of my loft buiding is currently available for commercial lease. I would LOVE to have a nice coffe shop or small grocery in there!! If anyone knows of a retailer looking for space, send em my way!!!!

I'd be against a larger store tho, because Local Harvest is already opening a neighborhood market at 18th and Wyandotte, and I really want them to be successful!