St. Louis' 4101 Manchester

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

St. Louis' 4101 Manchester

Post by Chris Stritzel »

A crazy new design for the Grove wedge lot was unveiled recently. This s 4101 Manchester. I thought I would post it here since it caused quite the stir on St. Louis Development Forums. It sure is a break away from the previous design (which can be seen here: https://trivers.com/project/the-grove-mixed-use/). What makes this odd is that construction was already underway and the design changed in the middle of foundation work. I do believe that the most recent plans (shown) are a few months old since the renderings show a created date of February 26th, 2019. The project is being developed by Spencer Development, a New York firm with ties to St. Louis and is being designed by an unknown firm. 4101 will be completed next summer.

Below is the ongoing foundation work. One drill was removed since this image was taken sometime last week.
Last edited by Chris Stritzel on Mon May 27, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: St. Louis' 4101 Manchester

Post by FangKC »

My initial reaction to it (based on the first two photos) is that it looks like a modern church/synagogue.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:42 pm My initial reaction to it (based on the first two photos) is that it looks like a modern church/synagogue.
Some are saying that it looks brutalist. I don't really have an idea on the architecture style. It has curved glass on the upper floors but concrete elsewhere. This will need to be something that is completed before I can judge accordingly.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Looks unique. Kind of hard to tell what that huge monolith on the end is going to be.

I agree it does look a bit churchy from that perspective.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

That's pretty cool! The Grove is such an eclectic neighborhood...this should fit right in...maybe? That site is the Manchester Ave. gateway on the east side. Great location.

On another note...any news on the Foundary project off Forest Park Ave.?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

http://cityfoundrystl.com/

Looks like they have a website for the Foundry
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Thanks WSP....I've seen that. I didn't know if some of the STL folks might have more info.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

zonk wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:48 pm Thanks WSP....I've seen that. I didn't know if some of the STL folks might have more info.
The Foundry is chugging along. They are putting up the new roof now and will begin erecting the parking garage, movie theater, retail and office building soon. No other tenants have been announced that I know of.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

^thx for update!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Construction has stalled. Foundation drills were removed a few weeks ago and no new building permits have been issued. Some are saying that the hold up in construction is caused by one of these.
  • The sudden design change made the cost go up exponentially (previously $16 Million) and the developer has to go through financing packages again.
  • The neighborhood potentially complained about the lack of street-level activation on the Chouteau side, but there was no confirmation of this.
  • The form-based code could've been violated (although this idea was shot down by the head of Park Central).
  • The developer, Spencer Development, and the contractor, Alberici, are waiting until Pridefest is over at the end of the month. Signs point to a July 8th start if that is the case.
Anyway, the design reception has been positive since the new design was revealed last month. The architect remains a mystery.