Nashville?

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
alejandro46
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Nashville?

Post by alejandro46 »

Are any of these developments incentivized?

Chris Stritzel
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Chris Stritzel »

alejandro46 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:03 pm
Are any of these developments incentivized?
I haven't seen anything if the ones I shared will have incentives attached to them. I know some other projects have included tax abatements and TIFs, but I haven't seen those mentioned much recently.

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by kboish »

This is an interactive map of the TIF projects in Nashville.

https://nashville.maps.arcgis.com/apps/ ... 90d384e886

Based on some googling, it sounds like Nashville has the same concerns about overuse of TIFs, abatements, and other business incentives. However, it also sounded like they didn't decide to stop handing them out.

normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:12 pm

Based on some googling, it sounds like Nashville has the same concerns about overuse of TIFs, abatements, and other business incentives. However, it also sounded like they didn't decide to stop handing them out.
Nashville's proverbial ball is also speeding down the hill while we haven't even pushed ours over yet.

GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:41 pm
kboish wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:12 pm

Nashville's proverbial ball is also speeding down the hill while we haven't even pushed ours over yet.
Yeah, KC barley getting going and wanting to shut things down. Nashville has had like 20 tower cranes up for over ten years straight now. And they have the attention of the national development community who all want to build there now. They can probably start telling developers where to go now.

KC is not in that same boat.

The biggest difference is still that Nashville has a huge corporate presence and investment in their downtown, something that KC still lacks. Nashville has been building just as many huge office towers and hotel towers as residential and they have the momentum to get through covid. KC is 90% residential and took too long to get some new office buildings up. I doubt KC sees a new office tower for at least ten more years now.

The city has delayed the one project (three light) that could have put KC on the national map proving the city is ready for large class A new constructions towers.

Everybody there is screaming about affordable hosing and gentrification which I'm not even sure are true issues there. What's going to end up happening is that the city will push all that type of development to the suburbs once again. Overland Park will give incentives and nobody out there cares about providing affordable housing.

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by earthling »

Nashville obviously has a strong music industry, better natural beauty and relative better winters that help. Just because KC isn't up to speed with the latest "It City" doesn't mean it's not doing well. KC doing quite well relative to rest of Midwest, with many indicators - even though it doesn't have much Fortune 500 anymore.

But sure would be nice if KC companies would embrace downtown as much as hotter markets. Could use more billionaire philanthropists too.