Tucson Modern Streetcar 2012

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Tucson Modern Streetcar 2012

Post by KCKev »

Started moving the 4 football field long Streetcar rails today that are replacing the old trolly rails.
What a sight it was watching them turn the street corners heading to 4th Ave.

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Tucson Modern Streetcar 2012

Post by warwickland »

neat!
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

UPDATE 06-19-12

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Le sigh.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

UPDATE 08-16-2012

Congress to 4th Ave. up University Blv. to U of A Main Gate Square.
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/ ... =slideshow
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

UPDATE 9-20-2012

Congress in Downtown

4th Ave

Getting closer ever week!
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Final rail welded. first streetcar delivered! It is getting close to ready. =D>
http://www.tucsonstreetcar.com/

Broadway one of the last streets to be completed.

This is what it looks like now.

This is the streetcar stop by Access Tucson. I hope they put solar panels on the top.

4th Ave.

walking up 4th to congress

new garage and student housing

new bars have opened.

The orange building on left is Access Tucson (public access where I used to work for 15 years) and channel 12 (city channel)

KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

UPDATE:

Final streetcar is here, Tucson's fleet is complete

Streetcar number 8 is now here in Tucson!

The road to get the streetcar project to where it is now has been years in the making. Early Friday morning workers got streetcar number 8 onto the tracks to get it into the depot. Workers will finish installing small parts and will soon start testing it to make sure it's safe to ride.

Six of the 8 streetcars have already been approved ready to carry riders.

In just the last few weeks, the City of Tucson has been busy making sure the streetcar is ready to go by the summer including having first responders train for emergencies. The last street car stop has also been installed.

Once the last two cars are approved for safety--including the 8th one that just arrived--the City says the streetcar will start operating July 25th.

Recently, the City approved allowing the street car to run until 2:00 am Thursday-Saturday.

http://tucsonstreetcar.org/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

congrats!
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

DaveKCMO wrote:congrats!
Just been through what you all are about to experience! Some inferstructure got fixed (utilities and roads). Some people gripe that it doesn't go anywhere and not worth the money spent (most was a Tiger grant) but bet you are getting that also in KC.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Similar to Kansas City, Tucson has had a relatively successful run with it's streetcar starter line. The line is not free, but the large amount of students and professionals around the University Medical Center - University - and Downtown Tucson have provide a solid ridership base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6syS5DELPAI

Now, Tucson hopes to begin study of expansion of their system by applying for roughly $1m in grant money to fund the study. The grant has so far gone un-awarded after a year or so.

Area of study, Tucson Mall to Tucson Airport

Although not a lot of greenfield, similar to KC, not an area of very high density. However, the proposed Phase 2 expansion would connect 3 major bus transit hubs along with the airport.

https://tucson.com/news/local/road-runn ... all%20area.

https://news.azpm.org/p/news-topical-bi ... in-motion/
A high capacity transit line could one day connect the Tucson International Airport to Tohono Tadai Transit Center near the Tucson Mall.

The cities of Tucson and South Tucson have applied for a grant with the Federal Transit Administration's pilot Transit-oriented Development Program. It would fund planning for the nearly 15-mile streetcar or bus rapid transit project.

The cities are requesting $950,000 from the federal government. The project total is $1.77 million. The planning process would last three years. Jennifer Toothaker, administrator of the planning division at the Tucson Department of Transportation, said the city is hoping to build on the success of the Sun Link streetcar, while addressing accompanying concerns about gentrification.

The streetcar has been credited with raising property values and spurring development along its 4-mile route along North Fourth Avenue, the University of Arizona, and downtown. But not everyone has welcomed the change. Critics say rising property values have pushed people out.

The study path would follow South 6th Avenue to downtown, then north on Oracle to the Tucson Mall. The project is intended to spur mixed-use development along a route that has seen little development activity. Toothaker said the grant will be used to create a plan that's equitable.

"There’s that kind of challenge when the market has its way and it does its thing, it can lead to situations where gentrification and displacement are happening and what we’re trying to do is get ahead of that," she said.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:28 pm Similar to Kansas City, Tucson has had a relatively successful run with it's streetcar starter line. The line is not free, but the large amount of students and professionals around the University Medical Center - University - and Downtown Tucson have provide a solid ridership base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6syS5DELPAI

Now, Tucson hopes to begin study of expansion of their system by applying for roughly $1m in grant money to fund the study. The grant has so far gone un-awarded after a year or so.

Area of study, Tucson Mall to Tucson Airport

Although not a lot of greenfield, similar to KC, not an area of very high density. However, the proposed Phase 2 expansion would connect 3 major bus transit hubs along with the airport.

https://tucson.com/news/local/road-runn ... all%20area.

https://news.azpm.org/p/news-topical-bi ... in-motion/
A high capacity transit line could one day connect the Tucson International Airport to Tohono Tadai Transit Center near the Tucson Mall.

The cities of Tucson and South Tucson have applied for a grant with the Federal Transit Administration's pilot Transit-oriented Development Program. It would fund planning for the nearly 15-mile streetcar or bus rapid transit project.

The cities are requesting $950,000 from the federal government. The project total is $1.77 million. The planning process would last three years. Jennifer Toothaker, administrator of the planning division at the Tucson Department of Transportation, said the city is hoping to build on the success of the Sun Link streetcar, while addressing accompanying concerns about gentrification.

The streetcar has been credited with raising property values and spurring development along its 4-mile route along North Fourth Avenue, the University of Arizona, and downtown. But not everyone has welcomed the change. Critics say rising property values have pushed people out.

The study path would follow South 6th Avenue to downtown, then north on Oracle to the Tucson Mall. The project is intended to spur mixed-use development along a route that has seen little development activity. Toothaker said the grant will be used to create a plan that's equitable.

"There’s that kind of challenge when the market has its way and it does its thing, it can lead to situations where gentrification and displacement are happening and what we’re trying to do is get ahead of that," she said.
Wish we would look at Urban Rail again here in KC
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Wish we would look at Urban Rail again here in KC
With a dedicated ROW, our streetcar vehicles can hit 50 mph, which is more than sufficient.

As much as I wish we could waive a magic wand and make metro rail a reality, we should really be proud of what our citizens have achieved so far with our main rail. Just thought the Tucson example is a good one to encourage people to dream big. I know my dream rail route runs from KCI>Zona Rosa>Metro North>North Oak> Burlington to and Main down Linwood to Truman Sports Complex, but these things take time and maybe that's not exactly the best use for rail or funding. Instead local streetcars through dense urban areas and actually funded usable LRT for our far flung suburbs.

Again, I do say this as a former Plaza resident now living in the Northland, and I know many others in this area wouldn't support such taxes.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Didn't see a thread on Phoenix Light Rail. Adding to this Tucson one...

https://www.abc15.com/traffic/phase-ii- ... ony-friday

With a ceremonial signing, Valley Metro celebrated securing funds for the Northwest Light Rail Extension Phase II.

$160 million of the $400 million price tag for 1.6 mile light rail extension funding secured. Transportation Secretary in town for project kickoff. Partially funded by regional tax. (https://www.phoenix.gov/t2050)

Extension will connect existing system, baseball fields, and currently abandonded mall that is slated for re-development.

https://www.valleymetro.org/project/nor ... n-phase-ii

Note, South Central expansion is currently under construction as well from DT Phx to Baseline Road/South Mountain.
https://www.valleymetro.org/project/sou ... wntown-hub
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Wow, Metro Center Mall in Phoenix is abandoned?

I once was laid-off suddenly from a job in the mid-80s and after leaving my former office up on Bell Road, I drove to Metro Center Mall and wandered around in a stupor because I wasn't ready to go back to my apartment. In my dazed state of upset, I locked my keys in my car. I had to go into a department store clothing section and ask for a wire hanger so I could get the door open and go home. That was one sucky day.
ztonyg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ztonyg »

FangKC wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:39 am Wow, Metro Center Mall in Phoenix is abandoned?

I once was laid-off suddenly from a job in the mid-80s and after leaving my former office up on Bell Road, I drove to Metro Center Mall and wandered around in a stupor because I wasn't ready to go back to my apartment. In my dazed state of upset, I locked my keys in my car. I had to go into a department store clothing section and ask for a wire hanger so I could get the door open and go home. That was one sucky day.
I live in Phoenix not too far from MetroCenter (near Greenway and 7th Avenue).

Technically MetroCenter isn't fully abandoned. The Harkins Theatres is still open and there is a storage place that has opened up in the former JCPenney. Dillard's is technically still open as a Clearance Center store. The mall interior and the former Macy's and Sears anchor spots are abandoned. About 5 years ago they built a Walmart on the original former Macy's site (but never connected it to the mall).

Paradise Valley Mall is a similar story (except for the fact that they are actually demolishing the abandoned parts of that mall). The Costco (which was never connected to the mall) and the JCPenney store (which miraculously is still open) are still operating while they tear down everything else.

Fiesta Mall in Mesa is fully intact and fully abandoned.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

With as hot as it gets in Phoenix, I would think indoor, air-conditioned malls would still do okay since it's a place to go hang out without being uncomfortable.