Seattle and Portland trip

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Seattle and Portland trip

Post by kcjak »

cknab1 wrote:I’ve heard the border crossing can be a drag. But we have our experience of crossing the border from Thailand going to Cambodia on a road trip a couple of years ago. That was nerve racking. So we are just thinking that a lot of time will be wasted on this crossing, and hopefully I have don’t have any tickets that I’m unaware of. We also had a friend that had a DUI about 6 years ago and was denied entry last month.
We are looking forward to Lynn Canyon Park and walking across the canyon suspension bridge. The pictures look great.
But for this morning a quick stop at Zeitgeist Coffee once again, then headed for the Amtrak Bus.
Good luck - I'm pulling for you!!
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

The border crossing was a breeze. I’m sure we hit it right. They did seem to question one younger couple that was on the bus a little longer than the rest of us. There were only 8 people on the Amtrak bus. I don't think they took much interest. I guess being older does have an advantage here and there.
We are staying at the Moda Hotel downtown that I reserved thru Expedia and it is a great location. This is the first time I used the Expedia Hotwire type listing and it has worked out fine. I think we saved about $40 a night.
We did the Lynn Canyon trip and it was great. The swinging bridge was fun, there was a lot to see and some really good hiking. We spent about 6 hours hiking and exploring and saved the whole tourist atmosphere that would have been at Capilano plus the 70 or 80 dollars.
I’m surprised at the number of Irish bars there are here, happily surprised that is. Besides the pubs We had some great meals here and I liked the Steamworks Brewery along with the Olympia bar & grill that didn't know if it was a a brew pub, a greek restaurant, or a jazz club, but it was fun. We did not make it to Meat & Bread.
The only bad thing I have found is that since it is out of season, there are no harbor tours. I would have liked to taken a boat up thru the inlets.
The weather here has been fantastic, we have really been lucky. Mid 50’s and sunny all four days.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Sounds like you had a great time. Glad you got to enjoy Lynn Canyon. Speaking of Steamworks, did you find that alcohol everywhere in Vancouver was outrageously priced? I seem to remember a six pack of Budweiser-esque beer being around $15.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

We just got back from Seattle as well. We ended up staying at the Pan Pacific (An Asian Hotel Chain) and it was an amazing hotel. The best part of the hotel is that a Whole Foods is at the bottom of it, the hotel was super cheap on Priceline and easy to land because its the only 4 Star in Seattle Center/Space Needle Area.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Yes, the beer is really expensive in the stores, liquor stores that is, but the drinks in the bars don’t seem overly expensive. It was like 15/16 dollars a six pack and up.
We are getting ready for breakfast, and then walking to the light rail for the 14.6 mile ride to the airport. Once back we are going to try and take the ATA back to Crown Center from MCI. I haven’t tried that before. We took a cab up and I guess it had been a while since we did that because I was surprised at the price, about $40 plus tip. I used to take a town car for that price.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Headed to Portland on Thursday for a long weekend. Anyone have any new/additional suggestions for places to check out?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I said this earlier but you must try this place for breakfast
http://pinestatebiscuits.com/

It has been named in travel and leisure, i believe it was listed as one of the america's best sandwiches or something like that. The Reggie Sandwich is the one i think they mention
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I said this earlier but you must try this place for breakfast
http://pinestatebiscuits.com/

It has been named in travel and leisure, i believe it was listed as one of the america's best sandwiches or something like that. The Reggie Sandwich is the one i think they mention
Excellent. I remember reading about this place, but we didn't get a chance to visit it on our last trip. I'll be sure to make it there this weekend.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Pal's Shanty on NE Sandy. Old school seafood and bar.
And Kenny & Zuke's DT for a pastrami sandwich.

http://portlandfood.org/
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Thatch Tiki Bar on 27th and NE Broadway has one of the best cocktails I've ever tasted, bar none. The Suffering Bastard, if its still on the menu.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

This is the first Portland thread I came upon, so here is the Sellwood Bridge move:
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... rt_m-rpt-2
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

friend Michael on the Portland bridge run, a few minutes ago