Springfield, MO

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Mizzou05
Pad site
Pad site

Springfield, MO

Post by Mizzou05 »

Yes there are more things in Springfield than Bass Pro Shop. I am a Planning student here at Missouri State, (only accredited AICP undergrad program in Missouri), and have decided to show you guys some other sides of Missouri's third largest city. I'm not going to do everything at once, but in different sections. Today I am going to show what we call "Hammons Land". Hammons land is a large private development that is owned by Springfield tycoon John Q Hammons, just east of downtown. As you will see he owns or has his name on several of Springfield's buildings. And of course comments are always welcomed!

Hammons Land looking South

Hammons Tower (22 Stories w/resturant @ Top)

Hammons Tower (front)

Hammons Field (Home of the AA Springfield Cardinals)

Chamber of Commerce @ John Q Hammons Building

John Q Hammons Statue (Tower in background is part of MSU, later to come)

US Courthouse

One Parkway Place (Residential)

Springfield Expo Center

Mediacom Ice Park (Formally Jordan Valley Ice Park)

The Pride and Joy of DT Springfield: Jordan Valley Park

Shrine Mosque: Saw Ron White perform here.

More to come!!!!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Springfield, MO

Post by chrizow »

awesome, thanks for the photos.  i've been hearing about a lot about downtown spfld lately - lofts, galleries, etc.  you should give us kc folks an insider's view of the "new" downtown spfld. 

great photos.  my brother went to SMSU (when it was called that).  i haven't been to springfield since 1999.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I really like the Shrine Mosque.  Nice pictures.  It's too bad a lot of those buildings have a very 1990, Orlando Florida look to them.  Even the US court house looked 'cheapened' up with that black glass entry.  Oh well, not trying to make fun of Springfield...sorry.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Springfield has a pretty decent Downtown nightlife scene and some great urban housing stock.  They have also done some good urban redevelopment, despite the southwestern sprawl. It's too bad that the city's religious right reputation overshadows some of the more positive things going on.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Thank you so much for posting these!  I have always felt that Springfield (despite it's awesome urban redevelopment) is often overlooked as a metro area.  That is, of all of the regional cities we talk about on this forum, Springfield is probably the least talked about (and Wichita would be a close second).

We tend to talk a lot about Columbia, Omaha, Des Monies, Topeka, Lawrence, Oklahoma City, but it seems like we rarely talk about Springfield.

Thanks for sharing these photos and I look forward to seeing the rest that you have!
KC is the way to be!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

AllThingsKC wrote: We tend to talk a lot about Columbia, Omaha, Des Monies, Topeka, Lawrence, Oklahoma City, but it seems like we rarely talk about Springfield.
Easy - Despite being one of the largest in that list, Springfield probably has some of the least urbanity.  Springfield is a strip mall/sprawl city in its pureist form and by comparison, DT Omaha, Des Moines, Wichita, Topeka, OKC look like mature, dense, vibrant, urban meccas.  Other than a handful of heavily set back, scattered towers - where would urban development even be relevant conversation about Springfield?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Other than a handful of heavily set back, scattered towers - where would urban development even be relevant conversation about Springfield?
well, reportedly, there is a small downtown area of warehousey buildings that have been converted into lofts, galleries, restaurants, etc.  i'm sure it comprises a very small % of the central spfld area, but there is at least some attempt down there to maximize what urbanity does exist in the area.

a friend of mine is renting a sweet 2-bedroom loft down there for like $800. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I realize I probably came off a little harsh there - but this forum rags on the DTs of Wichita, Topeka, Omaha, etc. as being sad and under developed all the time.  I would challenge anyone to walk around "Downtown" Springfield and then go spend an afternoon walking around any of those other downtowns.  You will quickly learn a new appreciation for some of those places. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I realize I probably came off a little harsh there - but this forum rags on the DTs of Wichita, Topeka, Omaha, etc. as being sad and under developed all the time.  I would challenge anyone to walk around "Downtown" Springfield and then go spend an afternoon walking around any of those other downtowns.  You will quickly learn a new appreciation for some of those places. 
Actually, the challenge should be a Friday or Saturday night.  I was in SGF this summer and Downtown was very similar to Westport before the P&L.  Lots of people out on the street, pedicabs ferrying people between bars, a block-long line to get into the dueling piano bar.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I realize I probably came off a little harsh there - but this forum rags on the DTs of Wichita, Topeka, Omaha, etc. as being sad and under developed all the time.  I would challenge anyone to walk around "Downtown" Springfield and then go spend an afternoon walking around any of those other downtowns.  You will quickly learn a new appreciation for some of those places. 
topeka, yes.  that is a shitty, shitty downtown.

downtown Omaha and Wichita are probably ok, especially Omaha.  they seem fitting for their metro size.  KC has yet to develop a downtown worthy of its metro size.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I remember visiting Springfield about 15 years ago.  I asked my dad to take us downtown so I could see what it looked like, thinking it might resemble Topeka or Wichita.  I was quite disappointed when all we saw were 3 story buildings.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

It also has Grizzy Hardware,use to have Albertsons one of my favorite Grocery store other then Publix,Win D.,Super Target,Neighborhood Market,Supercenter Wal-mart,Hen House,Costco,Sam's Club and so on.
Wichita,KS is getting Ross Dress for Less,Texas Roadhouse and so on.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

A 14-screen theater just opened on the west side of downtown, a block from the historic square and adjacent to the original Route 66. So now downtown Springfield has more movie screens than downtown KC. There's also a 2-screen art house a few blocks away, and a brewpub nearby.

They're still trying to get the redevelopment of the old Heer's department store off the ground, which would be the centerpiece of the revitalized square area.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

mgsports wrote: It also has Grizzy Hardware,use to have Albertsons one of my favorite Grocery store other then Publix,Win D.,Super Target,Neighborhood Market,Supercenter Wal-mart,Hen House,Costco,Sam's Club and so on.
Wichita,KS is getting Ross Dress for Less,Texas Roadhouse and so on.
It sure doesn't take much to impress you, does it.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Downtown Springfield is dense, walkable and has a lot of great restaurants. It's maybe twice the size of Westport. Not bad for a city of 400k.

The rest of Springfield, meh.
Mizzou05
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Mizzou05 »

Springfield has a Pop of just over 150,000. 2007 MSA just over 400,000.
bry456
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bry456 »

mgsports wrote: It also has a Grizzy Hardware store. It use to have an Albertsons, one of my favorite Grocery stores. Some of my other favorites are Publix, Winn Dixie, Super Target, Neighborhood Market, Supercenter Wal-Mart, Hen House, Costco, Sam's Club and so on.

Wichita, KS is getting Ross Dress for Less, Texas Roadhouse and so on.
Okay fixed that for you. Commas, proper word agreement, coherence and spacing between words are our friends.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Springfield keeps growing.
You mght have edit but you didn't take credit for writing that post I did.
Ross Dress for Less is expanding into the Midwest I hope it gets here to the KC area soon like maybe next year.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

mgsports wrote: Springfield keeps growing.
You mght have edit but you didn't take credit for writing that post I did.
Ross Dress for Less is expanding into the Midwest I hope it gets here to the KC area soon like maybe next year.
ross is a cool store. Why would someone want to take "credit" for your post?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

bbqboy wrote: ross is a cool store. Why would someone want to take "credit" for your post?
I have to wonder if this is Paintfumes' little brother out on parole or something.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit