Atlanta: Without Heavy Rain, City Could Run Out of Water in 90 to 121 days

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Atlanta: Without Heavy Rain, City Could Run Out of Water in 90 to 121 days

Post by Highlander »

Joemoney wrote: This is the highest peak of all of Britain:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Nevis

That's a sissy boy's mountain.  A one legged man with a blindfold on could climb that.

FIRST of all.  Your definition of "much warmer" is skewed.  SUB ZERO temperatures is cold, 100+ is hot.  If you don't have that, you don't have shit.

According to Wikipedia..."Generally, summer temperatures rarely go above 30 °C."  30C = 86F.  Rarely go above 86?  86 is a COOL DOWN in the midwest summer.  Good time to mow the lawn before it gets hot again.

That's because they're poor.

The US is more geographically diverse than ALL of Europe combined, times 10.  From Death Valley to Prudhoe Bay.  From islands of Hawaii to endless Midwest farmland.  We have everything.  Europe is moderate and redundant.

Even Europe's beaches in the south (Spain, France, Greece, etc) are crap.  The sand is rocky (unless they import good sand in) and it's not very tropical (not many palm trees, save for the ones they transplanted).  And it's not very hot and the water is cold and the waves are small (bad surf and bodyboarding).
As far as I am concerned, this conversation ended when I last posted.  Stick to financial stuff, you actually know something about that.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Joemoney = pwned
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Joemoney
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Joemoney »

Highlander wrote: As far as I am concerned, this conversation ended when I last posted.  Stick to financial stuff, you actually know something about that.
Say what you want, but I know I'm right.
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Joemoney wrote: Say what you want, but I know I'm right.
Right about what?  You aren't arguing with anyone.  I said moving for the sake of climate is unique to the US and you bring in the US - Europe comparisons.  I'm not the one making the comparisons, you are.  I really could care less. 
Joemoney
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Joemoney »

Highlander wrote: I said moving for the sake of climate is unique to the US and you bring in the US - Europe comparisons.
That's because we have very diverse climate, unlike Europe.  The change in climate is so moderate, it's not worth moving.  And language barriers.  And people hate each other in Europe.
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

And people in the US don't?
There is no fifth destination.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Joemoney wrote: That's because we have very diverse climate, unlike Europe.  The change in climate is so moderate, it's not worth moving.  And language barriers.  And people hate each other in Europe.
You are wrong about Europe's climate.  True it may not be as diverse as the US climate but there is a fairly significant difference between the semi-arid interior of Spain or Mediteranean coast of France, Italy or Greece and Scandinavia, northern Germany or much of Britain.  There's a tremendous difference even between Oslo and Bergen Norway....Oslo is like Minnesota and Bergen is like Seattle.  You would not call Minneapolis and Seattle the same....would you?   

The climate here is rather varied and people do move here for the climate, just not to the same degree in the US.  There are a lot of reasons why that is but the lack of a difference in climate and people hating each other are not among them.  Contrary to what you may have heard, Europeans do not generally hate each other.  I find it rather funny that someone would even say that.  I know several Brits who have homes in Spain and France and they have zero problems with the local population.  Try to learn something here instead of just reacting to everything based on some fuzzy idea of the rest of world.
Last edited by Highlander on Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

so...

Atlanta...

pretty dry, hey?
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

49r wrote: so...

Atlanta...

pretty dry, hey?
No shit...
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

BVC wrote: No shit...

I thought I just saw that a pretty substantial system just passed through the area a few days ago bringing some fairly severe weather along with it?
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Highlander wrote: You are wrong about Europe's climate.  True it may not be as diverse as the US climate but there is a fairly significant difference between the semi-arid interior of Spain or Mediteranean coast of France, Italy or Greece and Scandinavia, northern Germany or much of Britain.  There's a tremendous difference even between Oslo and Bergen Norway....Oslo is like Minnesota and Bergen is like Seattle.  You would not call Minneapolis and Seattle the same....would you?   

The climate here is rather varied and people do move here for the climate, just not to the same degree in the US.  There are a lot of reasons why that is but the lack of a difference in climate and people hating each other are not among them.  Contrary to what you may have heard, Europeans do not generally hate each other.  I find it rather funny that someone would even say that.  I know several Brits who have homes in Spain and France and they have zero problems with the local population.  Try to learn something here instead of just reacting to everything based on some fuzzy idea of the rest of world.

I didn't especially enjoy the climate of central Germany when I lived there - mainly winter when it was dark, drizzly and wet for months on end. So we used to drive to Italy for a long weekend a couple times per year.  What was amazing to me was when you entered that long tunnel through the mountains in Switzerland, on the north side would be cold and overcast.  Then you emerged on the southern end to sunshine, Italian architecture, and even some hardy palms in the valleys of southern Switzerland.  And the Italian coast reminded me of California a lot.  The European climate is definitely varied, just in a smaller area. 
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Highlander wrote: I thought I just saw that a pretty substantial system just passed through the area a few days ago bringing some fairly severe weather along with it?
We're in the midst of rain as I type this.  Three days of off and on, variable intensity rainfall.  A lot has come down in North Georgia as well which is helpful but what we're getting will not make a dent in the reservoir levels but I will definitely take the rain no matter how much it is.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

My sis lives in Raleigh. They finally got an inch of rain and 1 1/2 inch is still forecast. She says her pastures are already greening up.

The best kind of rain for drought relief is slow and gentle and steady.