Nashville?

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Nashville?

Post by alejandro46 »

Are any of these developments incentivized?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

alejandro46 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:03 pm Are any of these developments incentivized?
I haven't seen anything if the ones I shared will have incentives attached to them. I know some other projects have included tax abatements and TIFs, but I haven't seen those mentioned much recently.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This is an interactive map of the TIF projects in Nashville.

https://nashville.maps.arcgis.com/apps/ ... 90d384e886

Based on some googling, it sounds like Nashville has the same concerns about overuse of TIFs, abatements, and other business incentives. However, it also sounded like they didn't decide to stop handing them out.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:12 pm This is an interactive map of the TIF projects in Nashville.

Based on some googling, it sounds like Nashville has the same concerns about overuse of TIFs, abatements, and other business incentives. However, it also sounded like they didn't decide to stop handing them out.
Nashville's proverbial ball is also speeding down the hill while we haven't even pushed ours over yet.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:41 pm
kboish wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:12 pm This is an interactive map of the TIF projects in Nashville.

Nashville's proverbial ball is also speeding down the hill while we haven't even pushed ours over yet.
Yeah, KC barley getting going and wanting to shut things down. Nashville has had like 20 tower cranes up for over ten years straight now. And they have the attention of the national development community who all want to build there now. They can probably start telling developers where to go now.

KC is not in that same boat.

The biggest difference is still that Nashville has a huge corporate presence and investment in their downtown, something that KC still lacks. Nashville has been building just as many huge office towers and hotel towers as residential and they have the momentum to get through covid. KC is 90% residential and took too long to get some new office buildings up. I doubt KC sees a new office tower for at least ten more years now.

The city has delayed the one project (three light) that could have put KC on the national map proving the city is ready for large class A new constructions towers.

Everybody there is screaming about affordable hosing and gentrification which I'm not even sure are true issues there. What's going to end up happening is that the city will push all that type of development to the suburbs once again. Overland Park will give incentives and nobody out there cares about providing affordable housing.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nashville obviously has a strong music industry, better natural beauty and relative better winters that help. Just because KC isn't up to speed with the latest "It City" doesn't mean it's not doing well. KC doing quite well relative to rest of Midwest, with many indicators - even though it doesn't have much Fortune 500 anymore.

But sure would be nice if KC companies would embrace downtown as much as hotter markets. Could use more billionaire philanthropists too.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Tony Giarratana, a well known developer in Nashville, has proposed a 45-story, 610ft tall condo tower at 800 Lea, which is at the Korean Veterans Boulevard Circle next to the Music City Center (convention center). With this building, along with the Circle South Office Building, the Ritz Carlton Hotel and Residences, and the nearing completion 805 Lea, the roundabout/traffic circle will have skyscrapers on all sides with the exception of the Convention Center.

Interesting floor plates with this building too. Estimates put it at 120 condos. Only 60 parking spaces will be included and will be done via valet.

Meanwhile, just up the road and over from here near Nashville Yards, Giarratana just started construction on the Alcove at 900 Church Street (34-stories, 418ft, 356 apartments) and Prime at 801 Church (38-stories, 456ft, 358 apartments and 511 parking spaces). Both will rise simultaneously with the garage at Prime serving the Alcove.

No updates regarding Tony's biggest project, Paramount Tower (65-stories, 750ft) at 600 Church Street, have been made. But with three big towers in the works, I would think that Paramount would wait a little while. A rendering of that is below.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

What would Bob say?
https://youtu.be/F4T3xs4-Jso
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's unbelievable how much development has been going on in Nashville.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Though not surprising they have truly become the new Austin with some Atlanta thrown in. Helps to have music industry, major university, state capitol, many billionaires, above average natural beauty/winters. And like Austin, Nashville is now drawing jobs from W Coast tech companies, Oracle to invest $1.2B and bring 8500 jobs as well as Amazon actual tech jobs.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:05 am ^Though not surprising they have truly become the new Austin with some Atlanta thrown in. Helps to have music industry, major university, state capitol, many billionaires, above average natural beauty/winters. And like Austin, Nashville is now drawing jobs from W Coast tech companies, Oracle to invest $1.2B and bring 8500 jobs as well as Amazon actual tech jobs.
Big airport redevelopment and international flights. Their airport was well above STL pre-covid
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:48 pm 2nd and Peabody
Planned to become the tallest building in the State of Tennessee and City of Nashville, the 2nd and Peabody project will rise in the Rutledge Hill area of the City, which is just Southof SoBro and Downtown. The project will include two hotels, apartments, office space, 6 levels of underground parking, and retail space. The main tower will consist of the hotel and office components and stand 38-stories and 618ft in height. The shorter building will be a hotel and housing and stand 33-stories and 456ft. The Congress Group is the developer (and is the same developer doing the Four Seasons Hotel and Residences up the road). Nashville-based Gresham Smith (who designed the Nashville Yards project) will serve as the architect here. Exact numbers on hotel rooms, apartments/condos, office space and retail space is not yet available.

Renderings...
Well, after opposition from neighbors, and from some in City Planning as well, the Congress Group had the Second and Peabody project redesigned.The plan now calls for 3 towers with the tallest being 36 floors and 433ft in height. The other two towers are 32 floors/375ft and 18 floors/ 234ft. The Class A office component of the development has also been scrapped in favor of creative/co-working office space. The upper four floors of the taller building will be for sale condominiums. Miami and Boston Based Cube3 is the architect with Gresham Smith being the architect of record.

Specific numbers include...
-5 level, 1022 space underground parking garage
- 15,791sf of retail and restaurant space on the first floor of the there towers
- 55,615sf of co-working/creative office space
- 286 hotel rooms
- 794 apartments
- 36 condos

In general, I like the design and I like how active they're going to try and make the first floor. This is an insane development in terms of size, but Nashville continues to show they can support it.

Other large projects have also been revealed in Nashville in recent months, mostly focusing on the residential side of things. It certainly doesn't seem like their building boom is going to slow down anytime soon. In fact, the average height of the latest proposed projects has ticked upward from 20 floors to 25 floors as a result of the most recent project unveilings.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

This might be the first modern architecture I’ve ever seen proposed or built in nashville that I actually kinda like. It’s not a glass cube, so that alone is a step up
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I like the second design better as well. Won't those building block the radio tower's signal though? Perhaps they are moving that radio station anyway.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:09 am I like the second design better as well. Won't those building block the radio tower's signal though? Perhaps they are moving that radio station anyway.
People on the Nashville forum pointed that out, but no real concerns were risen. I guess the same concern could be applied with the previous plan for the site but if the owner of that property with the radio tower didn't complain then, they most likely wont complain now.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:05 am This might be the first modern architecture I’ve ever seen proposed or built in nashville that I actually kinda like. It’s not a glass cube, so that alone is a step up
My favorite of the three buildings is the hotel. Reminds me a little bit of the Hearst Tower in New York, just with curved windows at the corners.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:26 pm
FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:09 am I like the second design better as well. Won't those building block the radio tower's signal though? Perhaps they are moving that radio station anyway.
People on the Nashville forum pointed that out, but no real concerns were risen. I guess the same concern could be applied with the previous plan for the site but if the owner of that property with the radio tower didn't complain then, they most likely wont complain now.
it was announced today that a developer from Chicago, partnered with a Nashville firm, bought the one block site for $34 million (or $10 million per acre). So the radio station is moving and a new development is planned there. No one knows the size yet.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:49 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:26 pm
it was announced today that a developer from Chicago, partnered with a Nashville firm, bought the one block site for $34 million (or $10 million per acre). So the radio station is moving and a new development is planned there. No one knows the size yet.
Now we have renderings. Gensler is the architect of this one.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Nashville yards is an amazing development. Pinnacle Bank will leave their riverfront Tower for a new building in the yards. Amazon is taking 2-3 towers there. We need something similar on the US/CC lots and CMH parking lots that boarder the KC Terminal tracks

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

It’s a shame the influx of wealth and population back into downtowns has been accompanied by some of the worst architecture America has to offer